The Ultimate Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
As the title says, I've been thinking about changing my tank bag setup. I currently own, and use (pretty much continually) a Bagster full tank cover along with a small clip-on Bagster tank bag. You can actually see it in my avatar. Unfortunately, the bag is starting to show its age, and it appears that there are fewer of these available recently and the price they want is pretty steep. Plus the newer model tank bags are made for some bag users needs, but they do not meet my own.

The bike never leaves the driveway without the tank bag on it. I have the bag wired with a 3-way Cigarette lighter socket power inside, and that in turn powers my zumo 550 GPS, a Starcom1 intercom (also installed inside the tank bag) and charges my crackberry when needed. I have opened up a seam at the front of the bag to allow me to run power and audio cables in and out from the starcom to GPS and radar detector, as well as our Starcom1 headsets.

All in all I have been reasonably happy with this set-up, but I can definitely see some room for some improvements.

So, here's a list of the things I would see as "required" for my tank bag functionality, as well as a few "nice to haves" attributes.

1) The tank bag should be easy to get on and off of the bike quickly, so it can be brought inside the hotel at night, but it should also be somewhat secure-able so it won't get yoinked at a gas or quick lunch stop when on a trip and it can't be stowed in an empty bag. Also need easy access to the filler cap for gas-ups The Bagster was easy on and off, and worked great for fueling, but provided little to no security from theft.

2) The bag should be intrinsically water-resistant (at least) or better yet waterproof so that no steps need to be taken when riding into a rain storm. The Bagster bag is Cordura and requires a shower cap cover when it rains or all the stuff inside gets wet.

3) Need to be able to get wires into and out of the bag without violating #2. Need to get power in to starcom and phone charger, and get power and audio cables out to the GPS and RD.

4) Must be physically small so it doesn't foul the switches on the handlebars at full lock steering and still allows good line of site to GPS and instruments. Bagster actually is good this way.

Nice to haves:

1) Aestethically pleasant. I say this is only "nice to have" because I'm already used to having a pretty damn ugly tank bag on the bike. So yeah, an aestetic upgrade would be nice.

2) Bag should be hard or semi hard sided, so the unit retains its form when empty or lightly loaded. The little bagster bag I use has plastic stiffening it the sides, so it does this somewhat. I don't like riding around with a floppy tank bag.

3) Ability to carry a camera inside, which means it needs to be waterproof and soft, as well as secure-able. I'd like not to have to get off and open a rear saddle bag or trunk to get at my camera.

I've looked at what is currently available on the aftermarket, and the features that are almost universally missing are the waterproof-ness and the security.

I like the Bags Connection stuff, and the way it quickly attaches and detaches from their proprietary gas-ring mounting, but none of the bags I've seen are waterproof (without a shower cap type of cover being installed) and there is no locking mechanism that I have seen to prevent someone from popping it off and running. I'm also not sure how easy it is to gas up with this tank bag, as when it's detached it doesn't seem to support itself and would be flopping around loose.

Maybe this is something that is yet to be invented? I'm definitely looking to hear what creative things folks have done to address some, or better yet all, of these requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
beeroux's was everything on your list....except aesthetically pleasing. It was a custom-made aluminum unit that resembled a baby coffin and had a small padlock.

A goretex one would be nice, but how spraying with "Nik-Wax" or some similar waterproofing stuff?

One way to make it more difficult to remove from the tank-ring is to remove the nylon strap form the lock-pin ring, then make a separate metal hook that you can use to grab hold of the lock-pin ring.

Maybe someone cold devise some sort of magnetic release pin like those ones they sell for baby-proofing your cabinets.

I have a First Gear LAguna, I believe it is. It is probably bigger than you want, but I did the same with the outlets in the bag, and it has grommets from the back corner all the way to the inside. Barring a heavy downpour it is waterproof but does come with a shower cap. It has a built in spot for you GPS that flips up and down, pretty convenient and it has built in shoulder straps to wear like a backpack. Only bad thing is its overall size, does hit some buttons lock to lock.

A goretex one would be nice, but how spraying with "Nik-Wax" or some similar waterproofing stuff?
GoreTex is definitely overkill for a tank bag. It doesn't need to be breathable, so why not just make the things out of solid vinyl material, or else with a full plastic liner sewn in? I really don't know why this isn't SOP for tank bags. :unsure:

edit - forgot to mention that I have sprayed my Bagster tank bag with silicone tent waterproofing spray in the past. It is now slightly water resistant, but if it rains for more than a few minutes, stuff still gets wet inside.

One way to make it more difficult to remove from the tank-ring is to remove the nylon strap form the lock-pin ring, then make a separate metal hook that you can use to grab hold of the lock-pin ring.

Maybe someone cold devise some sort of magnetic release pin like those ones they sell for baby-proofing your cabinets.
Yeah, I'm thinking I could come up with a mod to make it more theft proof. But that still leaves the waterproof. And those Bags Connections bags ain't cheap neither. :huh:

I have a First Gear LAguna, I believe it is. It is probably bigger than you want, but I did the same with the outlets in the bag, and it has grommets from the back corner all the way to the inside. Barring a heavy downpour it is waterproof but does come with a shower cap. It has a built in spot for you GPS that flips up and down, pretty convenient and it has built in shoulder straps to wear like a backpack. Only bad thing is its overall size, does hit some buttons lock to lock.

Thanks. I looked at those briefly. I'll take another look. Don't need the GPS thingee as I already have mine mounted where I want it (securely), but still...

GoreTex is definitely overkill for a tank bag. It doesn't need to be breathable, so why not just make the things out of solid vinyl material, or else with a full plastic liner sewn in? I really don't know why this isn't SOP for tank bags. :unsure:
Maybe just spray the whole thing with thatstuff they sell on TV - you know the one where the guys coat a screen door with spray goop and uses it as a boat.

I've got some spray-on truck bed liner that is a pretty heavy duty rubber coating ( I think it stays flexible) that might do the trick. The zippers would then be the weak link.

Maybe just spray the whole thing with thatstuff they sell on TV - you know the one where the guys coat a screen door with spray goop and uses it as a boat.

I've got some spray-on truck bed liner that is a pretty heavy duty rubber coating ( I think it stays flexible) that might do the trick. The zippers would then be the weak link.
:rofl: Yes!!

flexseal-300x250-2.jpg

beeroux's was everything on your list....except aesthetically pleasing. It was a custom-made aluminum unit that resembled a baby coffin and had a small padlock.

Yeah, I've heard of some folks using a small pelican case and mounting it to the tank rings. That would be just a tad too "industrial" looking for the lovely Feejer. But it does start you thinking about hard case possibilities. Hmmm...

Why not a curved / shapely custom molded hard case along the same structural lines as a Pelican (maybe a tad lighter duty) with some sort of an internally operated release from the tank ring thingee underneath. When the lid is locked it's locked securely on the bike. Fully Waterproof. Just need some sort of a wire port.

After researching last winter, that's where I ended up. Was about double my second place contender in price. Still haven't received. She says she's close, so plan on waiting 90 days if you go custom. Mine will have a luggage mounted SAE connector on the inside as well as a nearly waterproof cable passthrough. Others have posted some nice pictures and such. I do like the bra with panniers setup. Will post more when I get it.

I like the Bags Connection stuff, and the way it quickly attaches and detaches from their proprietary gas-ring mounting, but none of the bags I've seen are waterproof (without a shower cap type of cover being installed) and there is no locking mechanism that I have seen to prevent someone from popping it off and running. I'm also not sure how easy it is to gas up with this tank bag, as when it's detached it doesn't seem to support itself and would be flopping around loose.

Have used my Bags Connection Engage tank bag thru plenty of rain with the shower cap. Stayed perfectly dry and the cap fits perfectly. The only time the tank bag is going to get a significant amount of rain is when the bike is parked sitting out in a down pour.

There a method to lock it down and prevent removal but it still can be opened and the contents emptied unless using a small lock on the zipper tabs.

Fueling is simply.. tank the tank bag off and rest it on the saddle, ground or where ever. The bottom of the bag is supportive for positioning over the tank. Not really sure about what you are talking about with this comment "when it's detached it doesn't seem to support itself and would be flopping around loose"

IMG_3594.jpg

Have used my Bags Connection Engage tank bag thru plenty of rain with the shower cap. Stayed perfectly dry and the cap fits perfectly. The only time the tank bag is going to get a significant amount of rain is when the bike is parked sitting out in a down pour.

There a method to lock it down and prevent removal but it still can be opened and the contents emptied unless using a small lock on the zipper tabs.

Fueling is simply.. tank the tank bag off and rest it on the saddle, ground or where ever. The bottom of the bag is supportive for positioning over the tank. Not really sure about what you are talking about with this comment "when it's detached it doesn't seem to support itself and would be flopping around loose"
Thanks for sharing your experience. I like that particular bag and may eventually end up going with it.

The problem I have with the shower cap approach is it's such a PITA when you do need to get inside the bag if/when it's raining. I've found that a cloth tank bag will leak eventually when you are riding all day in a steady rain if you don't use the rain cover. You've got to stop now and then, and that when they get really soaked.

What I meant by that "support itself" statement was regarding during the re-fueling. If you have electronics inside the bag, and wires running in and out of it, you can't easily move the bag away to set it down on the seat, ground, etc. It needs to stay up near the tank somewhere since it is tethered by wires. In the case of the Bagster tank bags, you can detach the rear hold down clips and either pivot the tank bag upward and forward or else push it to off to the side for refueling. Then when done you just flip it back down and snap it back into place. I suppose that you could just balance this bag up on the handlebars somehow? It would be nice if the bracketry provided a place to hang/support the bag during refueling.

After researching last winter, that's where I ended up. Was about double my second place contender in price. Still haven't received. She says she's close, so plan on waiting 90 days if you go custom. Mine will have a luggage mounted SAE connector on the inside as well as a nearly waterproof cable passthrough. Others have posted some nice pictures and such. I do like the bra with panniers setup. Will post more when I get it.
Are these bags actually waterproof? Or do you have to put a cover over them? I read through her website and cannot tell for sure.

Thanks in advance

Try the Nikwax TX Direct Spray-on product. Apply liberally and rub in to the fabric and let dry. Was very effective on my overpants last winter in Seattle.

Are these bags actually waterproof? Or do you have to put a cover over them? I read through her website and cannot tell for sure.
There's no such thing! *

That said...Linda's bags are VERY water resistant. She uses waterproof zippers and tends to design her bags so water doesn't find the seams easily. While mine came with a cover...I've yet to have to use it.

*unless you're going to fit a Pelican case, gasketed baby coffin, or equivalent to your tank