The Why Not 2024

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatAir4Me

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have been meaning to get this post up for a while now. Summary is that we are not going to do this event in 2024 but we WILL be back in 2025.

Back story; in December 2023 my mom came down with a nasty case of Altzheimers and I moved in with her in Eugene until July of 2024 acting as sole care provider. My mom lived in that house for 42 years and it took some time to convince her she could not longer live alone. This coupled with getting what was essentially a squatter evicted from the home had me busy. Not what I pictured retirement looking like for sure. Since getting her in our house I have been working on remodeling her house in order to get it rented out to provide supplemental income to get some in home care to provide respite for Mel and I.

I am going to reach out to the Oregon Trail Motel and block out some rooms for 2025 and look forward to getting back in the saddle next year after the dust settles.

I will create a new thread with the updated event information.

Keep those ride reports coming so we can live vicariously through all you hooligans!

All the best friends,

JP and Mel

Hope things smooth out for you soon, JP Sounds like you and Mel have shouldered a lot of responsibility this year. I'll look forward to seeing you both next year.

Archer and I went on a 3000-mile ride with a group and just got back a week ago. For us it was meet in Enumclaw, ride to the Dalles, ride to Burns, OR, ride to Susanville, CA, to meet three others, ride to Crescent City to meet one other, ride to Redmond, OR, ride to Moses Lake, ride to Whitefish, ride around in Glacier National Park, back to Whitefish, back to Moses Lake, and then home. Picked up Cayuse Pass, the McKenzie Highway, Yakima Canyon Road, and some other sweet spots on the ride.

JP, thank you for the update. Was thinking about you and your Mom earlier today. Glad to hear it is moving in the right direction for both of you.

Thanks for the update JP. A few of us southerners were wondering if there was going to be another Why Not. Glad to hear it's back on the radar.
All the best to you and Mel dealing with your Mom's care. You are a good son.

So sorry to hear how thoroughly devastating Alzheimer's can affect an entire family. I've seen this happen too many times, prayers for you and your family. Good luck with the renovation and I look forward to Why Not 2025 and meeting all of you.
Best Wishes

Hope things smooth out for you soon, JP Sounds like you and Mel have shouldered a lot of responsibility this year. I'll look forward to seeing you both next year.

Archer and I went on a 3000-mile ride with a group and just got back a week ago. For us it was meet in Enumclaw, ride to the Dalles, ride to Burns, OR, ride to Susanville, CA, to meet three others, ride to Crescent City to meet one other, ride to Redmond, OR, ride to Moses Lake, ride to Whitefish, ride around in Glacier National Park, back to Whitefish, back to Moses Lake, and then home. Picked up Cayuse Pass, the McKenzie Highway, Yakima Canyon Road, and some other sweet spots on the ride.
Thank my friend, likewise it will be good to get together again!

Sounds like a great ride! The old McKenzie Highway (242) is in great shape now as they just repaved from the Dee Wright Observatory to the Sisters side. We have been to many of your destinations and want to some of the others for sure!

The part about next year's Why Not is good to hear, JP. The other part is tougher to hear. Taking on what you two have done gets you automatic entry to heaven, but not too soon I hope. And I hope to make it up to Baker City in '25. That's right near the limit of how far I'll be willing to go for rallies from here on out, but luckily, just inside the limit. :p

Glad to hear that Why Not 2025 is on. I have been using the PNW Grand Tour as an excuse to go play. I have managed to get all 8 locations in Washington by early May to become a "finisher", picked up the 3 in California and 5 in Western Oregon in a single run in June and will be heading out next Thursday to get the last 3 in Oregon, all 8 in Idaho and the 3 in Montana to become a "Grand Finisher". This run will put me in some of the same areas I was in last year on my long way to Why Not 2023. I think this is becoming a habit. Looking forward to seeing everybody again next year.

JP, thank you for the update. Was thinking about you and your Mom earlier today. Glad to hear it is moving in the right direction for both of you.
Thank you friend. We actually had a friend offer to "babysit" yesterday. We jumped on the bike and rode up to East Lake (Paulina) and back to 97 twice before going and celebrating our 16th anniversary/26 years by having an amazing meal. It was really nice and the best part was although apprehensive beforehand mom had a great time as well!
Thanks for the update JP. A few of us southerners were wondering if there was going to be another Why Not. Glad to hear it's back on the radar.
All the best to you and Mel dealing with your Mom's care. You are a good son.
Yes although it was a lot of work I thought it was well worth it and look forward to 2025! Thanks for the kind words.
Thanks for the update JP and good luck with Mom. Looking forward to Baker City in 2025!

~G
Thanks G and we look forward as well!
Thanks for the report, hope the best for you two. (Three)

Thanks for the update. All best to you snd Mel.
Your welcome friend.
So sorry to hear how thoroughly devastating Alzheimer's can affect an entire family. I've seen this happen too many times, prayers for you and your family. Good luck with the renovation and I look forward to Why Not 2025 and meeting all of you.
Best Wishes
Yes it is certainly an insidious disease. If you know you know... When people ask what its like I tell them most facets are just like raising a child in reverse, with the birth replaced by death.
We look forward to seeing you at the Why Not '25!
The part about next year's Why Not is good to hear, JP. The other part is tougher to hear. Taking on what you two have done gets you automatic entry to heaven, but not too soon I hope. And I hope to make it up to Baker City in '25. That's right near the limit of how far I'll be willing to go for rallies from here on out, but luckily, just inside the limit. :p
Glad to hear we are not out of your "jurisdiction"! Yep, I hope the big guy will hold my reservation for at least 30 years...
Glad to hear that Why Not 2025 is on. I have been using the PNW Grand Tour as an excuse to go play. I have managed to get all 8 locations in Washington by early May to become a "finisher", picked up the 3 in California and 5 in Western Oregon in a single run in June and will be heading out next Thursday to get the last 3 in Oregon, all 8 in Idaho and the 3 in Montana to become a "Grand Finisher". This run will put me in some of the same areas I was in last year on my long way to Why Not 2023. I think this is becoming a habit. Looking forward to seeing everybody again next year.
Good on you! My buddy Curt has been a real inspiration as well having rode in every month in '24. Wish I could be joining him but things are coming around. Agreed it will be good seeing all again!