Thermostat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie1

Reaction score
I am in the process of running the valves on my 03 FJR and on an impulse I pulled out the thermostat , and the only number that made sense was 71C

stamped on the valve, that translates to 159 degrees F. and this made me very nervous so I put it in water and raised the temperature while watching the valve and a thermometer. The valve started to open at 156 degrees F by 162 degrees I could stick a 1/8" drill bit between the valve and its seat. This is scaring the hell out of me, as I do not like to run an engine cold. Any suggestions? HELP.. Bernie

That is the correct temperature for the thermostat.

Just out of curiosity, you've got a 4-year old bike with (I assume) correct readings on the temp gauge. Why would you think the temp spec'd for the thermostat is wrong just because you found out what it was?

Since the operating point you observed correlates to the value on the thermostat it seems all is well. That is just the temp the stat opens at. You might find that the system runs hotter (or colder...??) that the stat value as it depends on the temperature of the water at the stat to control which might be different than the coolant in other parts of the system. Personally, I'd trust Yamaha on this one and quit worrying.

That is the correct temperature for the thermostat.
Just out of curiosity, you've got a 4-year old bike with (I assume) correct readings on the temp gauge. Why would you think the temp spec'd for the thermostat is wrong just because you found out what it was?
Because my Service manual says that the bike has a 180 degree thermostat.

And I am still hung up on the numbers that I have been quoted, (all my life anyway) That for every 1000 miles you drive with the engine temp. below 170

degrees F you are getting 0.001" of cylinder wear.! Is this no longer true? Bernie

My manual (2003) says 71-85 C.

That's the first I ever heard of your temp vs wear stat. I would think it relates to oil warm-up rather than actual coolant temp. Running a cold, not-as-well-lubricated engine will cause greater wear. My wife's job was three miles away, and we couldn't keep a car under her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that stat take into condsideration ceramic lined cylnder walls?

(Much harder than steel walls and tend to wear less and be effected by heat less also...)

KM

My ski boat is the same way.After fifteen years of hard starts and running to redlinethe compression is still perfect.So i would not worry either.