Thinking About Buying A FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejworthen

Reaction score
So, a little background. I currently ride a 2004 FZ6. I bought it brand new and put around 10,000 miles on it in the last two years. It's been over 10 years since I've ridden last so this was my re-entry bike. I love the bike and plan on keeping it but would like something a little more comfortable for long distance two up riding.

The very first bike I came across was the FJR. Seemed like a pretty good bike for my purpose. Then I started looking around and came across the Sprint ST, ST3, and R1200ST. I took a Sprint ST demo out for a ride with the wife. I loved the bike but just don't think it will be all that good for two up riding. The ST3 seems a little more comfortable but the maintenance intervals are just too much IMO. I like the R1200ST with the exception of the fugly headlight. I have yet to take one out for a demo so I can't comment much on how they ride. Plus they are not going to make it again until at least 2007.5. These three bikes plus the FJR are really the only bikes that appeal to me.

The thing that appealed most to me about the Duc, Triumph, and BMW are the following things:

1. I can demo them and the dealers have them in the show room.

2. The bikes seem to be a little lighter and more sport oriented.

As we all know it is very hard to find a new FJR on the showroom floor. I've only seen one so far and it was an AE. It's just hard for me to commit to buy a bike that I've never ridden. The local dealer told me they would have no problem letting me ride one. They will have a demo in a few months. Only problem is their last demo lasted a total of two days before someone bought it.

It seems to me almost everyone that buys a FJR is happy with it. I can't remember hearing too many people having much bad to say about them. I'm thinking this is most likely the bike for me but I'm afraid it will be too much of a land barge and not sporty enough. Since it's hard to find one to ride I can't really judge for myself. I've seen the specs on the bike and sat on a couple so I know it's got plenty of power and it feels pretty comfy. But how does it handle? I don't expect it to handle like an R6, but I do like to ride the twisties. So what say ye? Will this thing eat up the twisties or what?

Hope I didn't give too much info here but I was just trying to show my thought process. (or lack of it) :wackosmiley:

the duc is great - but service is pricey and often

the beemer will leave you on the side of the road with a rear end failure

the triumph is a nice bike, but I believe your observation is correct.

feejer is THE bike. sporty enough, comfortable enough, long distance capable

my only complaints with the fjr revolve around farkling. due to the compact and tight nature of the plastic, it aint easy to mount gizmos and what nots (or farkles for that matter). It takes some planning if you want to pimp it out LD style. Certainly, it is able to be farkled, but not so easy as working on some of the other bikes. Never worked on the triumph, so I can't really say about it.

Just takes some time to think things through. If you aren't going to hang gps's, satellite radios, radar, lights, fuel cell, etc. - then throwing a givi top case on the back and hooking up electrical outlets for heated gear is pretty easy. Change the grips -do something to the seat and you are good to go.

find someone in your neighborhood that will let you zoom around the block, leave your most valuable possession with them for collateral and perhaps they will let you test ride theirs.

where do you live?

the duc is great - but service is pricey and oftenthe beemer will leave you on the side of the road with a rear end failure

the triumph is a nice bike, but I believe your observation is correct.

feejer is THE bike. sporty enough, comfortable enough, long distance capable

my only complaints with the fjr revolve around farkling. due to the compact and tight nature of the plastic, it aint easy to mount gizmos and what nots (or farkles for that matter). It takes some planning if you want to pimp it out LD style. Certainly, it is able to be farkled, but not so easy as working on some of the other bikes. Never worked on the triumph, so I can't really say about it.

Just takes some time to think things through. If you aren't going to hang gps's, satellite radios, radar, lights, fuel cell, etc. - then throwing a givi top case on the back and hooking up electrical outlets for heated gear is pretty easy. Change the grips -do something to the seat and you are good to go.

find someone in your neighborhood that will let you zoom around the block, leave your most valuable possession with them for collateral and perhaps they will let you test ride theirs.

where do you live?
I agree pretty much with your observations of the other bikes.

I put farkles on everything I own. lol

I live in PA near Allentown.

Well, it ain't no R1, but it ain't no Electra Glide, either. There's a dude in St. Louis who can tear up a set of tires in about 2,000 miles on this platform and I dare say that I've made more that one Gixxer rider wonder how the hell my 'land barge' kept up with him. How much skillz you got will pretty much determine how well it'll handle the twisties. The really nice thing is the torque... Put it in 3rd or 4th and you can pretty much leave it there if you want and just enjoy carving corners. The stock suspension, though decent, will really shine with some upgrade bits, front and rear - huge gains are made, IMO

Aren't you over at ST.n, too? There's a wack of FJR owners there, including the Skipper. And, many an FRJ owner has an FZ back-up, too. Must tell you sumpin', no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it ain't no R1, but it ain't no Electra Glide, either. There's a dude in St. Louis who can tear up a set of tires in about 2,000 miles on this platform and I dare say that I've made more that one Gixxer rider wonder how the hell my 'land barge' kept up with him. How much skillz you got will pretty much determine how well it'll handle the twisties. The really nice thing is the torque... Put it in 3rd or 4th and you can pretty much leave it there if you want and just enjoy carving corners. The stock suspension, though decent, will really shine with some upgrade bits, front and rear - huge gains are made, IMO
Aren't you over at ST.n, too? There's a wack of FJR owners there, including the Skipper. And, many an FRJ owner has an FZ back-up, too. Must tell you sumpin', no?
I've ridden with some guys on FJR's. They seem to handle the twisties pretty good. I'm about a mid level rider myself. Not a ton of experience but getting better all the time. As I said before I've only been riding for two years and 10,000 miles after being away from bikes for 10+ years. Didn't have a lot of experience before that. It's hard for me to compare myself to them since they've been riding much longer than I have. I guess that should answer my own question though. :p

Yes I Ho it up over on ST.n.

Every one of `em?
I used to really want a beamer. Like, a LOT. But then I test rode their so-called pinnacle bike, the K1200LT. Electric servo-assisted brakes?? It's over-engineered, IMO. The whole thing just has that "look what we can do..." feel to it. I liked the bike's power, the handling was good, the seat was comfortable, but everywhere I looked, all I saw was just one more thing that would break. I ride, rain or shine, all year long (ice / snow being the exception) and all I could imagine were weather-related failures, just waiting to happen.

Their air-heads rock, but again, I've heard a *lot* of stories about rear-end failures.

I tested the LT (and RT,)before getting the FJ. both felt underpowered and I found the LT seat un-comfy.

I also road the BMW ST and liked the power, but the whole idea was to get a 2-up LD bike and I didn't think the ST fit the bill. The GT was unavail in the US when I made my FJ purch and I have not ridden on for a comparo. I am very hapy with the FJ.

Every one of `em?
I have 2 friends with R1150GSs -- both had rear-end failures. One bought an old pick-up truck to haul it home and the other rented a car and drove around while his home dealer took-apart a bike and shipped the part to a dealer who wouldn't do anymore than replace the bad R/E with the one from the home dealer. They both still ride BMWs -- once assimilated you can't get out.... :blink:

If you have the slightest inkling that the FJR will be, "too much of a land barge and not sporty enough," then you better test ride one before you buy. You might be disappointed because even though it's on the sport side of sport touring, it weighs 200 lbs more than your FZ6 and handles/feels accordingly.

But if you can get past the idea that the FJR will handle as well as a sportbike in the twisties, you'll be fine with it.

+1 on Sierrabus' comments.

................Sprint ST, ST3, and R1200ST.
There is no way the FJR will be as sporty as these examples. Those who ride very aggressive talk about how early the footpegs will touch down. On the other hand, a lot of that has to do with technique. The strength of the FJR is in the engine. "Wow", springs to the forefront of my thought process. The FJR will be yards ahead of a tourer when it comes to perfomance (acceleration, braking, handling, etc.) but it is a compromise-style bike, hence "sport-tourer". There are a number of riders here who replace tires in the 2500 mile range. I've talked with a couple who have replaced the rear shock so they can adjust the rear ride height to gain footpeg clearance and "modify" the front turn-in (rake/trail). Even so, it will never be as "flickable" as an FZ.

Be careful on your test ride.....you will be assimilated. Everyone who "lives" on this site will tell you it is THE best 2-up sport-tourer.

There is no way the FJR will be as sporty as these examples. Those who ride very aggressive talk about how early the footpegs will touch down. On the other hand, a lot of that has to do with technique. The strength of the FJR is in the engine. "Wow", springs to the forefront of my thought process. The FJR will be yards ahead of a tourer when it comes to perfomance (acceleration, braking, handling, etc.) but it is a compromise-style bike, hence "sport-tourer". There are a number of riders here who replace tires in the 2500 mile range. I've talked with a couple who have replaced the rear shock so they can adjust the rear ride height to gain footpeg clearance and "modify" the front turn-in (rake/trail). Even so, it will never be as "flickable" as an FZ.
Be careful on your test ride.....you will be assimilated. Everyone who "lives" on this site will tell you it is THE best 2-up sport-tourer.
Big #1 :)

Couldn't have said it better -- but I never can when it comes to Mike :lol:

So, a little background. I currently ride a 2004 FZ6. I bought it brand new and put around 10,000 miles on it in the last two years. It's been over 10 years since I've ridden last so this was my re-entry bike. I love the bike and plan on keeping it but would like something a little more comfortable for long distance two up riding.
The very first bike I came across was the FJR. Seemed like a pretty good bike for my purpose. Then I started looking around and came across the Sprint ST, ST3, and R1200ST. I took a Sprint ST demo out for a ride with the wife. I loved the bike but just don't think it will be all that good for two up riding. The ST3 seems a little more comfortable but the maintenance intervals are just too much IMO. I like the R1200ST with the exception of the fugly headlight. I have yet to take one out for a demo so I can't comment much on how they ride. Plus they are not going to make it again until at least 2007.5. These three bikes plus the FJR are really the only bikes that appeal to me.

The thing that appealed most to me about the Duc, Triumph, and BMW are the following things:

1. I can demo them and the dealers have them in the show room.

2. The bikes seem to be a little lighter and more sport oriented.

As we all know it is very hard to find a new FJR on the showroom floor. I've only seen one so far and it was an AE. It's just hard for me to commit to buy a bike that I've never ridden. The local dealer told me they would have no problem letting me ride one. They will have a demo in a few months. Only problem is their last demo lasted a total of two days before someone bought it.

It seems to me almost everyone that buys a FJR is happy with it. I can't remember hearing too many people having much bad to say about them. I'm thinking this is most likely the bike for me but I'm afraid it will be too much of a land barge and not sporty enough. Since it's hard to find one to ride I can't really judge for myself. I've seen the specs on the bike and sat on a couple so I know it's got plenty of power and it feels pretty comfy. But how does it handle? I don't expect it to handle like an R6, but I do like to ride the twisties. So what say ye? Will this thing eat up the twisties or what?

Hope I didn't give too much info here but I was just trying to show my thought process. (or lack of it) :wackosmiley:
Just another recommendation, but if the larger bike is primarily for 2UP riding, you might want to check out a Honda GL1800 (Goldwing). I know it is a BIG bike, but it is an EXCELLENT bike for 2UP riding. I kept my GL1800 because my daughter likes to go on long distance rides with her old dad :) !

Best Regards,

Shane

+1 on Sierrabus' comments.

................Sprint ST, ST3, and R1200ST.

I'm not really expecting the FJR to be as sporty as the other choices but I would like it to come at least close. What I don't want is a tourer. I want a SPORT-tourer. Lets face it, if I was into true sportbikes, I wouldn't have bought an FZ6. Sure the FZ6 is a great bike IMO, but it's no R6.

I know Shane Stump mentioned a GL1800 but that's exactly what I don't want. It's a great bike but I want to take a long trip and hit the twisties while I'm there. The Wing just doesn't do that for me.

I've already had someone offer me the chance to take an FJR for a spin. I think that's all I really need. I really believe this is the right bike. I just had a hard time spending that kind of $$$ without ever even taking one around the block. It's rare that I have a hard time making a decision on a purchase. Then again I've never had to order something I didn't have a chance to mess with.

Plus of all the bikes I've looked at, the FJR is the one my wife wants me to get. She even said she was excited about me getting one. She sees it as a good way for us to spend some quality time together. We both love to travel, and what better way to see the USA than on a ST bike.

Er, what's this 'Ho it up' of which you speak? :dntknw:
he's a Santa impersonator.

as for the FJR and it's place in the S-T stream. Consider the Sprint-ST/ST4/VFR a SPORT-Tourer, the FJR a SPORT-TOURER and the ST1300/Connie/R1200LT a sport-TOURER.

The FJR is smack dab on the cusp between sport and touring. So far, all other models fall to one side or the other.

EJ... you were at st.net's National, weren't you? Did you talk to any of the guys (or the gal... that be me) there about the Feej? Plenty of owners there. They might have answered alot of your questions/concerns.

Let me tell you about that SPORT TOURING... at the National we (me, a couple of the FJR guys & a couple of others) twisted our tails off in WV. When the National ended a bunch of us headed off to Clarkesville, WV for a couple more days of twisting fun. I rode in from Norfolk, VA, which was a measly 350 miles... not far as compared to some of the others. We actually had a guy from Canada enjoying the SPORT-TOURING capabilities. Get one... pop on in awhile & let us know what you think. This bike is really good at what it does.

Heidi

And on another note... isn't the wife being excited reason enough to get one?