Thinking About Buying A FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FJR is a fat pig compared to other SPORT-tourers... IMO, the FJR is a sport-TOURER. But, it's a very good one and I do not regret the purchase in any way. We can sit here and express our opinions where exactly the FJR falls in the sport vs tour continuum all day, but ultimately it is your call and you are going to have to figure it out.

Personally, I don't think you're going to know any more after even a 50 or 100 mile test ride than you OUGHT to be able to figure out just by taking a long look at the bike, and sitting on it to check if the ergos fit you. Choosing bikes isn't rocket science and I don't know why it gives so many people fits of indecision. OTOH, the decision does provide hours of fun. :)

Think carefully about how you will actually ride the bike: all day rides or shorter hops, as one example. Choosing bikes is like most tings in life: you are going to have to accept some compromise until the day comes that material science can make a 55" wheelbase, 350 pound, 175 hp motorcycle with generous ergonomics and included hard bags for $8,000.

But I get confused by owners who buy then immediately begin the process of dubious improvements as well.... so just ignore everything I've said. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
EJ... you were at st.net's National, weren't you? Did you talk to any of the guys (or the gal... that be me) there about the Feej? Plenty of owners there. They might have answered alot of your questions/concerns.Let me tell you about that SPORT TOURING... at the National we (me, a couple of the FJR guys & a couple of others) twisted our tails off in WV. When the National ended a bunch of us headed off to Clarkesville, WV for a couple more days of twisting fun. I rode in from Norfolk, VA, which was a measly 350 miles... not far as compared to some of the others. We actually had a guy from Canada enjoying the SPORT-TOURING capabilities. Get one... pop on in awhile & let us know what you think. This bike is really good at what it does.

Heidi

And on another note... isn't the wife being excited reason enough to get one?
Yep, I was at the National and did get the chance to talk to a few people about their bikes. I got some strange looks when I told people we rode the FZ two up to the meet. :lol: (Although I only road from PA) Talking to owners of different bikes is what helped me narrow my list of possible bikes.

The FJR does seem to be the most capable, affordable, and easy to maintain bike available for my needs. Just in talking to everyone in this thread has convinced me somewhat that my concerns may be a little overblown.

Think carefully about how you will actually ride the bike: all day rides or shorter hops, as one example. Choosing bikes is like most tings in life: you are going to have to accept some compromise until the day comes that material science can make a 55" wheelbase, 350 pound, 175 hp motorcycle with generous ergonomics and included hard bags for $8,000.
True, the bike will be used for trips more than anything so I guess I should be looking at that aspect more closely. I'll be keeping the FZ for local rides and commuting so if I want to hit the twisties hard I'll always have that.

EJ, weren't we all talking about the FJR at the ST.N national? I thought I remember you asking how I liked it. Mine was the Silver '03 with the custom tail section. I was parked right next to the guy from OH. We both have MYFJR on the tag.

I wish you would've said something there. I'd have been happy to let you try it out.

I laughed out loud when Dan23 said it was a fat pig. Under 5mph maybe.

Ride it more Dan, it gets lighter every day. ;)

True, the bike will be used for trips more than anything so I guess I should be looking at that aspect more closely. I'll be keeping the FZ for local rides and commuting so if I want to hit the twisties hard I'll always have that.
I think you underestimate the FJR in the sporting department. Of course, the rider, not the machine, makes the most difference in the twisties. I'm an average rider with a tendency to wick it up sometimes. I'll admit that one of my absolute favorite experiences on the FJR was rolling up on a young squid on an R6 at the last stop light before entering one of my favorite valleys. I knew it would be fun when he started furiously blipping the throttle before the light changed. There were 20 miles of good curves ahead. He quit after 10. I think there's something really bothersome about seeing nothing but sidebags in your mirrors when you're on an R6. Oh, what fun.

In a straight line, a Feej will outrun an R1 to 70mph.

EJ, weren't we all talking about the FJR at the ST.N national? I thought I remember you asking how I liked it. Mine was the Silver '03 with the custom tail section. I was parked right next to the guy from OH. We both have MYFJR on the tag.I wish you would've said something there. I'd have been happy to let you try it out.

I laughed out loud when Dan23 said it was a fat pig. Under 5mph maybe.

Ride it more Dan, it gets lighter every day. ;)
I probably talked to you a little but I'm not sure. I talked to a lot of people about different bikes. I should have rememberd the tail section but I don't. I usually remember things like that. I did use a guy with a silver FJR's compressor one day and bummed a smoke off of the same guy another day. Was that you by chance?

I think you underestimate the FJR in the sporting department. Of course, the rider, not the machine, makes the most difference in the twisties. I'm an average rider with a tendency to wick it up sometimes. I'll admit that one of my absolute favorite experiences on the FJR was rolling up on a young squid on an R6 at the last stop light before entering one of my favorite valleys. I knew it would be fun when he started furiously blipping the throttle before the light changed. There were 20 miles of good curves ahead. He quit after 10. I think there's something really bothersome about seeing nothing but sidebags in your mirrors when you're on an R6. Oh, what fun.
In a straight line, a Feej will outrun an R1 to 70mph.
I know the bike has some serious torque(100 ?) and horsepower(145 ?). I've ridden with a guy that has an FJR. When he got on it I had a hell of a time keeping up.

He was also a much better rider than I was at the time so I had a hard time keeping up with him in general. I know my limits and don't exceed them.

I've looked at all the sport touring bikes, and was in a similar situaition, I liked the Duc ST4 but maintenance and reliability is an issue. While I had a BMW before , initial cost and maintenance just aren't worth it, the Honda ST just doesnt't do it, the FJR seems to me to be the logical choice for performance ,functionality and reliability for the price. Haven't seen any new 06's left of at this point , I'm still looking .

+1 - I've ridden an FZ-6 for a couple of short rides, maybe 100 miles all told. Given the non-adjustable nature of the suspension and the FZ's tendency to be a bit... questionable entering the turns, I think the FJR is a better twistie bike than a lot give it credit for, and it handles *far* better than the FZ-6 I rode (and I have no idea if that was a typical FZ-6 or it had other issues).

+1 - I've ridden an FZ-6 for a couple of short rides, maybe 100 miles all told. Given the non-adjustable nature of the suspension and the FZ's tendency to be a bit... questionable entering the turns, I think the FJR is a better twistie bike than a lot give it credit for, and it handles *far* better than the FZ-6 I rode (and I have no idea if that was a typical FZ-6 or it had other issues).
The FZ1 or the FZ6 are better handlers around twisties. Let's not compare apples and oranges.

FJR has the comfort factor. Sport is of course part of it's equation.

I just bought a FJR.

If you are a young pup wanting only thrills, go for the FZ1 and other comparos.

Oh, I forgot to mention ...

There are many 06A or AE's available. At this time of year, you should be able to negotiate well.

I bought mine for 12,700 w/ 4 year YES OTD price. Local too.

Do some calling and you will still find them.

Of course you'll have to figure this one out for yourself. I came from sport-bike land, and wanted something more comfortable on a long trip (wrists get sore, and not much storage on the sporty).

Wanted an ST -- have always liked Honda, but the ST appeared to be too hot (haven't fixed the thigh roaster problems), and too heavy.

Went with the 06 FJR sight-unseen (via PDP), and am extremely happy. Although not as flickable as a sporty -- it has enough power to get you in trouble, and based on your skills -- can keep up with the poser on his sporty. Good luck in you search.

Of course you'll have to figure this one out for yourself. I came from sport-bike land, and wanted something more comfortable on a long trip (wrists get sore, and not much storage on the sporty).
Wanted an ST -- have always liked Honda, but the ST appeared to be too hot (haven't fixed the thigh roaster problems), and too heavy.

Went with the 06 FJR sight-unseen (via PDP), and am extremely happy. Although not as flickable as a sporty -- it has enough power to get you in trouble, and based on your skills -- can keep up with the poser on his sporty. Good luck in you search.
You MUST test ride them all (your select list) and then decide. You WILL know what you want and can afford.

Don't ask the pundits! There is no such thing as "if you like it, I might like it too" - that's dumb talk.

ps: I made a mistake recently.

The fjr sucks ass. But, I rode it for 6000 miles on my last road trip. Handled better then my harley. Was more comfy. Power was not a problem. Hard saddle bags fit all I needed. And that nifty adjustable windshield worked wonders.....other then that....this scoot sucks ass.

I heard about that one. I called about it but it had already been sold. It couldn't have been long after this was posted.
If you want to go for a used ~3800mi 06A, there is one in OH 11,500.
I'm still a couple of months away from being ready financially to go out and buy a bike. I'm sure I could swing it but I would much rather get the wifes car paid off first before I go out and drop the money on another bike.

Right now I'm pretty much just trying to get some info from current owners and decide if this is the bike I really want. Mostly just doing my research. I'm hoping to have one in my possesion before the end of the year if possible though.

THanks for the heads up though. :thumbsupsmiley:

The FZ1 or the FZ6 are better handlers around twisties. Let's not compare apples and oranges.
I repeat:

Given the non-adjustable nature of the suspension and the FZ's tendency to be a bit... questionable entering the turns, I think the FJR is a better twistie bike than a lot give it credit for, and it handles *far* better than the FZ-6 I rode (and I have no idea if that was a typical FZ-6 or it had other issues).
I had an FZ-1 owner ride the FZ-6 and he agreed, it handled like crap. Again, I'm not saying this is typical of FZ-6s as a whole, but on the one I rode, which is a newer '05 with a grand on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an FZ-1 owner ride the FZ-6 and he agreed, it handled like crap. Again, I'm not saying this is typical of FZ-6s as a whole, but on the one I rode, which is a newer '05 with a grand on it.
Didn't really start this thread to discuss handling aspects of the FZ6 but I've never heard anyone say it handled like crap. Granted it doesn't have an adjustable front suspension but neither do most bikes in it's class. I've ridden with many different types of sportbikes and never felt outclassed by any of them. Even bikes that were obvously far superiour.

I can't imagine a bike such as an FJR that weighs close to 200 pounds more, can feel as nimble in the twisty stuff. Although everyones entitled to their own opinions.

The FJR acquits itself nicely, though. A couple of pillions have voiced their opposition to the footpeg grinding, others just giggle and grin. So it handles pretty well 2-up.