Thinking of AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can burn up a clutch, All it will take is starting out in 3rd or higher. It will start off in any gear you leave it in and will slip the clutch accordingly.

But, who the hell would keep doing that? It will slip it in some maneuvering but no more than most riders do with a lever. I love my AE and if it is a 06 count on a G2 tube and PC3. I know I should not have had to put them on a new stock bike, but it turned it so smooth, absoutely no jerking anywhere. It was well worth it. I have never had a problem with low speed maneuvering. Take up some offers of a test ride, but with an open mind. you will be impressed even if you don't choose to own one.

I have a 06AE and love it. A number of months back I traded bikes with another MSF coach who had a 05 (non-AE) for a week so we could test each others bikes. I really enjoy both bikes. However, if I was to go buy another FJR today it would be a AE.

There is a learning curve with AE throttle response. I learned the AE in less then two days for my daily driving. However, when I tried to go out and take on some twistys it became clear I still needed to become more efficient on the throttle. I had been holding off adding the G2 throttle tube to the AE until I felt I had it down 100%. However, once I felt I had the hang of it I never got off my butt to order it. Since I am making a ride from Reno, NV to Tulsa, OK in March I think I will add it soon. At this time I am sure I will have a review on it.

In my mind it is just personal preference. I have a friend and work that will not drive and automatic car for his day-to-day driving. He will drive the wife's automatic when they are together, but he prefers a stick shift. I think the AE is pretty much the same. Some people just don't want a automatic auto and some just don't want a AE.

On the forum I can't recall ever seeing a AE owner want to sell their bike and go to a non-AE. As a matter of fact, all the AE owners I can remember all say they would get a AE again.

There are many people on this site that really like the AE and I respect that however having put 20k on an 06 I'm not one of them. Unless you have some special pyhsical needs or deal with a lot of slow stop & go traffic what's the purpose for spending the extra $$$$ to gain what? The clutch bike will also be quicker as the auto clutch tends to slip when powering though the gears. Cycle world just had a recent write up in on 06 AE they have been using and they would not want another one. I believe if Yamaha would make the AE with a clutch lever also so a rider would have the option to use the clutch lever or the auto clutch they would really have something that would be worth the extra $$$$. What ever you get enjoy and ride safe.

There are many people on this site that really like the AE and I respect that however having put 20k on an 06 I'm not one of them. Unless you have some special pyhsical needs or deal with a lot of slow stop & go traffic what's the purpose for spending the extra $$$$ to gain what?
It's a convenience feature, quite simply. I'm not disagreeing with your point, but I do think there is much more to it than that. For years, motorcycle manufacturers have been tinkering with auto transmissions and different shifting mechanisms. A ton of R&D money has been put into it across the industry, so there must be sufficient market to support that effort or they wouldn't keep trying.

I believe if Yamaha would make the AE with a clutch lever also so a rider would have the option to use the clutch lever or the auto clutch they would really have something that would be worth the extra $$$$. What ever you get enjoy and ride safe.
Yeah, but having an optional clutch lever would jack the price up another grand in Yammie's eyes. Maybe that could be a third model, the AEC?

Couldn't agree more with your last sentence. it's all good on two wheels.

I am trying to decide whether to buy the AE or the regular and this helps a lot, thanks.

I ride a 2005 Warrior and want something for longer rides with my wife.....

The FJR looks like the winner, but still thinking of AE or not.

My left leg was pretty mangled in a motorcycle accident in 1980 and the finger shifting sounds like the ticket.

I ride the Warrior because of the forward controls, which I have no problem with, but my left leg does not rotate in well, so I think not having to use the shifter with my foot might be nice.

Thanks for the info and I will keep digging until I decide.

BTW, Yamaha's ROCK!!!!!

Checking in on this one. I had an 05 and have an 06 AE. I have no complaints with either bike, both are strong performers, virtually trouble free(at least mine) and have carried mesafely for many many miles in IBA runs and various rallies. Both of them were outfitted with fuel cells and custom saddles and lots of farkles.

I do like to be able to slip the clutch in some situations such as being cimpletely stopped and have to go lock to lock to make a turn, I find the non AE preferable. But in short order, I was able to control the throttle input on the AE to make tight starts with big turns.

I think for those that have not ridden the AE bike think that control of the bike is turned over to a computer chip to make gear shifts. That is not the case at all. On AEs, all shifts must be made manually by the rider. He must flip the handlebar control lever or the foot shifter, one or the other.

I find the AE to be more smooth to ride in the twisties with its nearly instant downshifts and upshift and quick throttle response.

I hope Yamaha continues to sell bikes with the AE type system. I have read that Honda is coming out with an automatic transmission(??) that also allows manual shifting.

I think the paddle concept is the wave of the future for motorcycles.

I have a 2006 AE not quite a year old with 7800 miles on her. I love it but I did have a "parking lot" issue on the 3rd day I owned it . Just learn to drag the brake a bit and all is well. I ride it 120 round trip to work through the country and into the city with several stop lights. I am sold and more than likely would spend the money on another. I too had a crash (deer) :clapping: damaged my left side (shoulder) not giving me any issues yet but was thinking not having to work the clutch might keep me riding just that much longer.

Did a track day on mine. commin up on 20K miles

Love it.... To each his own... I am sold on mine

In fairness, there are times I wish i had a clutch, but there are far more that I am glad I dont .02