Third Gear Not Displaying on Indicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrmcsmitty

Reaction score
There are similar posts on here but so far I have not been able to find out why only third gear does not show up on the gear indicator LCD. Any ideas?

There are similar posts on here but so far I have not been able to find out why only third gear does not show up on the gear indicator LCD. Any ideas?
Either the gear indicator switch on the shift linkage is bad or there is a connector/wire problem. The switch works by grounding individual wires for each gear.

What's this about a gear indicator light? :blink: I've always been jealous of my buddy that his BMW K1200RS indicates what gear he's in, and mine doesn't, 'cause I'm always shifting when I think I'm in a different gear (usually into first or thinking I've got another gear when I'm already in 5th). (Thank god it's not Friday.... Oh wait. F**k. :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging from the symptoms I would suspect that the gear selector switch is not functioning properly when the bike is in third gear.

The fact that the other gears display properly makes me think that there is nothing wrong with either the display or the ECU signal.

This is just a hunch at this point but I think it is a good point to start.

I have included the schematic for the gear selector switch (item 17) which might help with your troubleshooting. If you disconnect the connector going to the gear selector switch and then step the the bike through each gear you will be able to test each individual microswitch for correct operation with a multimeter.

gear-selector-switch-L.jpg

I had a problem with my '07 where all of the gears indicated correctly on the LCD panel but the neutral light did not function. After much fooling around with it, I finally removed the neutral switch assembly (3P6-82540-00-00) and checked continuity from each of the contact pads to the plug. All were OK except the neutral pad-to-plug. I stripped back the wire near the contact pad end and determined that the open circuit was inside the potted assembly. Simple replacement for ~$36.

10 NEUTRAL SWITCH ASSY

3P6-82540-00-00 1 $54.88 $36.47

from Clicky

I would remove the neutral switch (actually an indicator switch for all gears) and see if the contact pad is dirty. I would then check continuity from all pads to the plug and see if this is the issue and whether it can be repaired instead of replacing. Easy to remove - take the shift lever off at the pivot point, remove two screws, snip a ty-wrap. To get at the plug end, you have to remove the side panel. Good luck.

Ross

Note: As mentioned above, the switch simply shorts each contact to ground, depending upon the gear position. Easy to eliminate the switch by sequentially grounding the individual connectors at the plug end where the switch connects to the harness.

Last edited by a moderator:
How important is this? I can live without the 3 displaying. Will the others quit displaying as well?

Most motorcycle riders have had to figure out what gear they're in all by themselves for over a century. I had an aftermarket gear indicator on my bike when I bought it, but it didn't work, was full of water. Never replaced it. I've not really had "What gear am I in?" be a great mystery to me.

As for 3 not showing but the others do, doesn't mean anything mechanically. If the switch or connector deteriorates further and other gears stop indicating, then you'll have to start exhibiting the skills the rest of us use every day.

Most motorcycle riders have had to figure out what gear they're in all by themselves for over a century. I had an aftermarket gear indicator on my bike when I bought it, but it didn't work, was full of water. Never replaced it. I've not really had "What gear am I in?" be a great mystery to me.

As for 3 not showing but the others do, doesn't mean anything mechanically. If the switch or connector deteriorates further and other gears stop indicating, then you'll have to start exhibiting the skills the rest of us use every day.
OUCH! :D

OUCH! :D
There was supposed to be a smiley there to soften the blow. Oh, well. Maybe I'll get a PM. Told ya I was trying! :)