Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make angry...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
In a recent post we kicked around the importance of maintaining an "ego-neutral" attitude when we ride because, "Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make angry--then watch as they destroy themselves."

While searching for a different news story, I came across this August 2009 accident in SoCal that presents ample proof for the terrible truth of this warning.

Motorcyclist dies in apparent road-rage crash

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading that article and thinking how sad it was that the motorcyclist made the decisions that he did. What I got out of reading the article a second time is either the fact that the writer is prejudiced, or that I'm safe. This is directly from the article;

While authorities are still trying to determine why, young men riding fast sport bikes and older men returning to motorcycles after a long absence appear to be factors, said Chris Cochran, a spokesman for the Office of Traffic Safety

He purposefully drove in front of and then slowed dramatically in front of a multi ton RV? Sounds like instant Darwinism if you ask me.

It happened up here some years back on Hwy 49 north of Auburn where a guy on a Harley had it out with a big pickup. Truck won when he bumped the Harley into the ditch after the guy on the Harley started messin' with him. Don't know if they ever caught the pickup driver but the Harley dude was killed.

Road rage does not work well with a bike.

I remember reading that article and thinking how sad it was that the motorcyclist made the decisions that he did. What I got out of reading the article a second time is either the fact that the writer is prejudiced, or that I'm safe. This is directly from the article;
While authorities are still trying to determine why, young men riding fast sport bikes and older men returning to motorcycles after a long absence appear to be factors, said Chris Cochran, a spokesman for the Office of Traffic Safety
Yes, Jill, editorializing rather than reporting! Neither category of rider is implicated by fact it's just the writer's imagination while trying to piece together a plausible explanation.

Simple: Darwinism succeeds! It reminds me of the gentleman Tyler had conversation with in front of Poor Red's: He has a bike...he also has an attitude. Which came first doesn't matter because the combination will get him killed or injured regardless.

I agree with Tyler (don't everyone collectively faint), I feel sorry for the motor home driver.

J.B., this does sound like a terminal case of Entitlement Syndrome. Evidently the cyclist felt entitled to a space or time the motorhome was using and decided to "teach him a lesson". Doh! :huh:

These things happen alot. Usually a 4-wheeler (cager) passes a semi and then slams on his brakes to make the semi slow down on a hill. Generally from something the semi did that caused the car to have to shut off the cruise control. Really sucks, If you hit him its your word against his, or you slam on the brakes and are stuck down 2 gears that you can't get back. I thought about mounting a video recording system in the windshield recording a loop like a banks, then use it when one of these jerks do that and get hit.

I have always thought that if you rear-end another vehicle, no matter what the circumstances, you are legally at fault. Is this true?

I have always thought that if you rear-end another vehicle, no matter what the circumstances, you are legally at fault. Is this true?
I was given a ticket for unsafe driving in Cocoa Beach, Fla. many years ago, after having been hit from behind at an intersection. The intersection was a T, with the intersecting street coming in from my left, and as I approached the intersection, in the far right lane, I noticed two police officers sitting on the shoulder to the right, and that the light had turned yellow. Not wanting a ticket for running a red light, I stopped, and was promptly plowed into. One of the officers came up to me and asked why I had stopped, and I mentioned the yellow light. He asked me to walk back to the other side of the intersection with him, and when we got far enough back to see the lights, he said, "You see that light over the lane you were in? Well, when that light is working, it's a permanent green light." I mentioned that I was from Houston, had never heard of such a thing, and asked him what exactly the city planned to do about actually FIXING the light. He said he didn't know, it had been out for awhile, and actually, the reason they were there at the time was because they had just cleared another accident for the same reason.

I never went to court on my ticket. I had the common sense to take a picture of the accident scene, with both cars in the picture, along with the lights above, clearly showing the inoperable light. I sent the picture to the courthouse, along with a letter stating my side of the story, and told them they could contact me if they thought the guy that got hit from behind, while slowing and stopping at an intersection where the functioning lights were yellow, then red, was driving unsafely. I never heard another word.

In a recent post we kicked around the importance of maintaining an "ego-neutral" attitude when we ride because, "Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make angry--then watch as they destroy themselves."
Well, shit, Hans -- there's a ready corollary to that Euripides quotation:

[SIZE=12pt]"And the lower the mortal's IQ, the easier is the gods' task."[/SIZE]

Well, shit, Hans -- there's a ready corollary to that Euripides quotation:

[SIZE=12pt]"And the lower the mortal's IQ, the easier is the gods' task."[/SIZE]
Y'all got that right. But I think there's another lesson in this accident: Question your ability to correctly predict the behavior of a driver. "Oh, he'll slam on his brakes and not hit me." Or, "I'll just show this guy who's got the faster vehicle, and he'll play by my rules, which is no one's really interested in killing the other person"--and then the car tries to run you off the road.

Sorry I missed you on the ride last weekend. Was hoping to say hi.

No it's not true. If the other driver does something intentionally or even by mistake that limits or prevents your abilty to stop in time to avoid the collision it can be deemed not your fault. Of course you generally either have to have witnesses to corroborate the incident or have the other driver admit fault.

This happened to my daughter on the highway. A semi did not see a lane drop due to construction, veered suddenly into her lane and then slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the cars slowed in front of him. She ran right under his trailer and did about $4000 worth of damage to her car. State Police found him completely at fault.