Thoughts on Premier sport touring rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KhromalusionaL

Reaction score
Guys,

I am thinking about purchasing the Premier sport touring rack and was wondering on everyones thought about it. Who has used it and how they like it. I am thinking on mating this rack with a Givi E52 and using premiers mounting kit. Any pros or cons on this combo? Also if anyone has pictures of this rack in real world use that would be great. Maybe with the combo i was talking about. Would like to see what it looks like with a passanger also. This is all going on a 09 BTW. Thanks!

Gen I or Gen II?

I have the rack and I am very happy with it. I've got the Bestem trunk (Givi 52 knock-off) on the rack, using their mounting plate on the PA rack.

Here's a pick with the trunk installed (can't really see the rack):

FJRwithtrunk004.jpg

I've got the Givi mount kit, which I now don't need. $15 plus shipping and its yours.

There have been 3 revisions IIRC to the rack. The last rev seems have fixed all the problems, and Duane has been more than good at standing by his product line, Kudos. I'm saying buy new, not old, as previous versions were prone to cracking.

I've got the Sport Touring Rack >> Premire rack mounted on my '08. Love the rack, but be aware, the damn thing scratches very easily. Mine is scratched up like you wouldn't believe from strapping cargo to it. On the plus side, the slots for bungee cord hooks are great!

I've got the Sport Touring Rack >> Premire rack mounted on my '08. Love the rack, but be aware, the damn thing scratches very easily. Mine is scratched up like you wouldn't believe from strapping cargo to it. On the plus side, the slots for bungee cord hooks are great!

I have the same rack, and the PCA Topbox Mounting Kit, which is far less expensive (and cleaner, IMO) than the Givi Adapter. Highly recommend this setup, and Premier Cycle's customer service.

I only mount the Givi Trunk (not cargo or straps) to the rack, and it looks brand new, after 1 year weekly of use.

Guys if i use PCA topbox mount kit will i have the ablity to move the box back and forth for passanger comfort? I have heard that with the topbox mounted it can cuase the passanger to crowd the driver. I want to be able to adjust if needed.

Thanks!

I have the same rack, and the PCA Topbox Mounting Kit, which is far less expensive (and cleaner, IMO) than the Givi Adapter. Highly recommend this setup, and Premier Cycle's customer service.

I only mount the Givi Trunk (not cargo or straps) to the rack, and it looks brand new, after 1 year weekly of use.
I have the same setup. Only concern I have: the mounting kit means that anyone with an allen wrench can remove the Givi top box, since only the two allens are securing the Givi to the rack. I used loctite, but try not to leave anything valuable in the case if I am gone a while. Using the other GIVI adaptors would eliminate the concern somewhat.

Love the rack though.

I have the same setup. Only concern I have: the mounting kit means that anyone with an allen wrench can remove the Givi top box, since only the two allens are securing the Givi to the rack. I used loctite, but try not to leave anything valuable in the case if I am gone a while. Using the other GIVI adaptors would eliminate the concern somewhat.

Love the rack though.
You can find different bolts at the hardware store that are harder to remove if you are worried about it.

I also have the same set-up from Premier for mounting the Givi E52. Be wary of the mount kit, on my way to CFR one of the mounting bolts stripped out of it's own accord (to low of speeds?). This was after approximately one year of use. I used 1/4 inch bolt with nut to fix same. Just something to keep an eye on considering your SO is more than likely using the Givi for back support.

J

Good stuff, highly recommended. Plus, your tail trunk will sit as flat as possible, which helps with center of gravity, aerodynamics and in my opinion, looks much better. Get the Givi mounting kit, it is around $16 and includes the hardware to mount a Givi (or JC Whitney clone ;) ) directly to the rack.

See the ride report in my signature for plenty of pics of the rack in use.

579422230_hANuw-L.jpg

579421463_5Edk8-L.jpg

579423319_2xMKr-L.jpg

579426407_bogMX-L.jpg

530000407_N2PZV-L-2.jpg

535272248_u4eoV-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a premier rack for a GENII on an '03 with an E52. Looks great, works great. IMO the premier rack looks better than GIVI mount. The other thing it allows, that the GIVI rack doesn't, is movement of the top box rearwards to accommodate more room for a pillion.

I have the Premier Rack with the Givi Mounting Kit. I also purchased the backrest that mounts to the rack. I love the product feel it is well made and looks good. I will attempt to post pictures. :huh:

I've got one and love it also. No box on it, but the backrest, which I have a bag that fits over it, and I can bungee other stuff to the rack....

I've got one and love it also. No box on it, but the backrest, which I have a bag that fits over it, and I can bungee other stuff to the rack....
I too have this. S.O. says not as comfortable or a much room as on Concours C10 with home made rack and back rest. I think the padding is too thick, thinking of making my own rest to attach to their mount, less padding might give pillion more room. I think for this kind of bike (i.e. not a G.W. or hardley), back rest is more for security than additional comfort.

What are your passenger's thoughts, compared to other bikes?

Is anyone else concerned about the rear frame cracking, which has me reluctant to go with a top box.

Rack itself looks great, mounts easy, very useful. As for scratching - the thing, like the bike is meant to be used for C. sake, no more vulnerable to it than anything else.