Thoughts on the Corbin Smuggler Trunk ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the smuggler comes right off and the pillion seat snaps right in place. The only problem is that my pillion doesn't hold as much stuff as the smuggler. She only has two hands! :)

I used mine all the time very convenient for quick storage, I sold mine only because I installed a Australian Police radio box. A used one will cost $500-$600.
I have been trying to find an Aussie Police radio box. They appear to be about twice the size of the smuggler. Is that about right?

Did you find yours on eBay or did you order it from somewhere as a new item?

Thanks!

I use the Smuggler with my Givi 357 mount just fine. Did a little 'fine tuning' to get it to fit with the rack but it works great. Great farkle in my mind.
can you expand on "fine tuning"

I want the Smuggler bad enough I might just go through all the trouble to remove the 357 use the smuggler and then replace it all before a long trip. that seems like a lot of extra work each time I want to use the GIvi 47 but it might be worth it day to day. I had a Smuggler on my ST and miss it on the FJR

I guess I just broke down and admitted to myself that I really wanted the Smuggler Trunk. Thanks to Dan's photos it all became just that clear to me - there is really nothing else out there quite like this trunk. I just ordered one. Corbin says about 35 days for build time. Since it's about 5 above around here today I'm guessing I won't be riding much for the next 35 days anyway. I'll post some photos when I get it.

Dave

The 'fine tuning' involved two things. First I partially collapsed the underside of the rear tube that the Smuggler has to fit under to gain some clearance. That was a fairly simple task with a ball pein hammer. Nothing drastic, just a bit in the area that there is a bit of interference. Second, I took a small grinder and relieved part of the fiberglass on on the Smuggler , again where it slightly interfears with the lower tube on the Givi mount. I repainted that area on the Smuggler where I did the grinding.

Corbin's Smuggler is really nice but overly priced. I couldn't bear to pay that much and kept missing deals on used ones.

So I made my own.
smile.png
May not be a pretty as Corbin but very handy.

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858933&highlight=smuggler

I love my smuggler!! Bought it used off another guy, last fall. Matched my bike perfectly. Had it within the week from the time the ad was posted. (I don't think I would be able to stand the 30 day wait for a new one!!!)

It's very easy to switch between smuggler and pillion seat. And it holds a good amount of stuff.... considering the shape and outside appearance of it. I like being able to lock it, unlike my tank bag. Only downside, it will be tougher to pack an additional bag for long tours. (I used to tie the bag onto the pillion seat.) Technically, would still be able to do that.... but access to the smuggler would be forfeited.

Enjoy your smuggler!!!

The 'fine tuning' involved two things. First I partially collapsed the underside of the rear tube that the Smuggler has to fit under to gain some clearance. That was a fairly simple task with a ball pein hammer. Nothing drastic, just a bit in the area that there is a bit of interference. Second, I took a small grinder and relieved part of the fiberglass on on the Smuggler , again where it slightly interfears with the lower tube on the Givi mount. I repainted that area on the Smuggler where I did the grinding.
Have you thought of just sawing off the grab handles on the 357? I have a Stify Kit and the 357 and am thinking of modifying the 357 in this fashion. It seems overbuilt to begin with.

If you want a smuggler keep your eyes wide open in the classifieds. Be willing to buy it as soon as it is posted or you will miss out. Most smugglers last no more than 1 hour in the classifieds on this site.