Three Radar Detectors Tested

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the arrows give you the signal strength like the X50 does ? That's a big factor on whether I slow or not, only slow if strength goes up enough....
V1 has arrows for direction, indicators & tone frequency for band, tone duraction and indicators for strength, a bogie counter for quantity, (user setable) tone volumes for high and low piority threats, and a tone indicating a new threat when you in the middle of a warning about an existing threat.

so you know what, where, how many and how close - WITH a priority alert when it determines a new/higher threat appears while warning you about other threats.

others often give you what and how close. few give the bogie counters. only the v1 gives it all to you.

I hate this comparison...Both are excellent units at what they do. One key some people forget or dont mention is that the X50 has two other views on top of the stock view with the horizontal strenght indicator. It can give you the exact radar frequency OR the number of bands you are being hit with at one time, for instance it will show you the strength levels on 2 K bands, 1 X band and 1 Ka Band all at the same time. (It has the ability to show more numbers of radars of each band but that is just an example) It does prioritze the radar band with the audio that it plays at that time. So if you are hit with X band, then it pops up a Ka, it plays the audio for the X, then switches to the tone for the Ka once it pops up. So taking that into account and also the price differences, I chose the X50 and have been MORE than happy w/ my purchase. :)

The LTI lidar units (the most common) have a beam spread of only 3' at 1000'. The courts pretty much across the board nationwide are restricting lidar readings to no more than 1000'.

But, lidar is still line of sight, your detector has to actually be physically touched by the lidar beam or a significant reflection (not common).

On a motorcycle, if you mount your lidar detector on the windshield, you will have zero protection from lidar to the rear unless you put a remote detector on or near your license plate.

I fully believe that the technology in both the X50 and V1 are so similar in accuracy that there is no real difference. That leaves the interface as the only real difference. Some like the arrows, some like the dual display. It's up to you and your wallet IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: