Throat Mic Communications Headset

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeFJR06

Reaction score
I'm looking for an inexpensive solution for a portable two way radio communications between two riders. Of course, the radios are no big deal, but finding a headset solution that is not a permenant install is different. I ran across this throat mic setup, but not sure if it would work very well. My concern is how clear your voice is when talking to the other rider. This headset needs to be compatible for individuals with full face helmets, 3/4 helmets, lids, and no helmet. That's where I thought this device would work for all. It's for group rides where you might have a different leader and sweep person, therefore requiring it to be portable

Does anyone have any experience with this device or something similar. I'm also open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks,

Smoke

Here is the link: https://firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com/produ...in_Fox_Sox.html

I tried a throat mic once. Didn't work worth a darn, at least not for me. Clearity was very bad in the best conditions, and the mic is very sensitive to its location on your neck. It also seemed that the wind noise made it even worse. I didn't try to cover it with a scarf or any such thing (it was during the summer) to cut the wind down, so I don't know if that could help. But bottom line is that it was pretty much useless for me.

As far as other options, here is a speaker and mic setup for Midland radios: clicky linky I've never tried this or heard any reports on it, but it looks interesting. And its cheap!

Good luck

I'm looking for an inexpensive solution for a portable two way radio communications between two riders. Of course, the radios are no big deal, but finding a headset solution that is not a permenant install is different. I ran across this throat mic setup, but not sure if it would work very well. My concern is how clear your voice is when talking to the other rider. This headset needs to be compatible for individuals with full face helmets, 3/4 helmets, lids, and no helmet. That's where I thought this device would work for all. It's for group rides where you might have a different leader and sweep person, therefore requiring it to be portable
Does anyone have any experience with this device or something similar. I'm also open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks,

Smoke

Here is the link: https://firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com/produ...in_Fox_Sox.html

I've got one of those, still in case, never used, will sale for 70% of the price on the firefox web site.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Worthless crap -- tried and thrown away.

But, I couldn't be happier with the VOX on my autocom.

Thanks for the input guys. We'll keep searching for a fairly cheap option. We almost purchased two Chatter Box units at the Cycle World Bike Show up in Chicago last weekend, but thought we had better research more.

I'm going to be installing a Starcomm unit on my bike this spring, but we still need two portable units for the other guys.