Throttle free play

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramrezz425

Reaction score
Gen 1 FJR here, Does anyone do their own freeplay adjustment, Newbie here, mine seems sloppy and when I take off, It's hard to guage the slop. Dealer adjust or do it myself. Just Curious. DR

Gen 1 FJR here, Does anyone do their own freeplay adjustment, Newbie here, mine seems sloppy and when I take off, It's hard to guage the slop. Dealer adjust or do it myself. Just Curious. DR

Piece of cake. Usually adjusting the handlebar side is all that is required. CCW increases play, and CW decreases free play. Under the tanks does the throttle side if necessary w same idea with the 2 adjusting nuts (pic adjusted to remove offensive material)

892930208_ngfHh-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's copyrighted material, and neither you nor fjrforum.com own the copyright.

Have a look here, third from last paragraph.

I'm not a lawyer, but lawyers love this stuff, and our admin guys don't want no trouble.

EDIT: Service manual page removed, photo posted.

On every bike, I adjust mine to suit my preferences, which are to have nearly no play in it. For me, it's easier to feather the throttle that way. Caveat is that if you take all the slack out of it, you need to check to make sure that turning the handle bars to the stops does not result in binding the cable or even opening the throttle a little. If so, you need a bit more slack.

On every bike, I adjust mine to suit my preferences, which are to have nearly no play in it. For me, it's easier to feather the throttle that way. Caveat is that if you take all the slack out of it, you need to check to make sure that turning the handle bars to the stops does not result in binding the cable or even opening the throttle a little. If so, you need a bit more slack.
+1 on checking the free play in both directions of full deflection. It's much too often missed.

+1 on checking the free play in both directions of full deflection. It's much too often missed.

Actually, expanding on this a bit more, if the throttle cables are too "tight" they may cause the throttle tube to bind

against the handle bar thus preventing the throttle from snapping shut upon release.

I try to remove slack until the onset of binding then back it off a sixth of a turn at a time until it's free.

Then confirm there's no binding at full lock.

I prefer to have just a tad of free play, it lets my wrist "settle in" to just the right spot. Allowing for some free play allows some movement in my hand while making parking lot speed maneuvers with little chance of abrupt throttle input. Hard to explain but it works well for me this way.

I did it myself last night in 5 minutes using the shop manual. I adjusted the cable near the throttle, as FJRPierre showed in his pic.

Do it your self!

I did it myself last night in 5 minutes using the shop manual. I adjusted the cable near the throttle, as FJRPierre showed in his pic.

Do it your self!
I adjusted mine last night too, pretty easy, also lubricated the throttle with locksmith recommended lube. keeps springways and friction surfaces smooth. I dont remember the name but my throttle snaps back and the freeplay is less. dr

I hate freeplay so when I bought my 2010 I tried adjusting it before I left the dealers lot. No tools. I have mine at a couple of millimeters. Not much. Just follow the cables and you will find the adjuster. Not a hard job.