Throttle Lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil San Diego

One of "...those guys..."
Reaction score
Edit: See update with photos in post #9 - Now in matte black!

I recently found a throttle lock that I have never heard of before and thought some folks here might be interested as well. Tak-Lok. It works very similar to the BreakAway throttle lock – mechanically locks the throttle in place, and disengages if you touch the front brake or release the lock button. It also lets you adjust the throttle while it’s locked down. So it’s virtually identical to the BreakAway, functionally. It’s also a bit pricey as well, but still a few $$ less than the BreakAway.

Photo shamelessly stolen from their website:

rear-angle-2.jpg

So I picked one up over the weekend and slapped it on. Very easy install, in fact it took me less than two minutes (but I watched their installation video first). Of course the best thing for me, is that the Tak-Lok doesn’t require you to take the grips off. The throttle lock fits right over the grips as is – including heated grips. It comes with several adaptors for different size grips. FYI, the FJR grips use the “I” adaptor.

So far the only testing that I’ve been able to do is commuting to work, but it has worked flawlessly for the little bit of time that I have been able to use it. Don’t know if it will have any problems with extreme temperature changes as some folks have noticed with the BreakAway.

Pluses:

Don't need to take the grips off.

Works on heated grips.

Minuses:

It does take up about ¼” of grip on the inside. This is taking a bit of getting used to for me, but not bad.

It's a little bit more obvious visually than the BreakAway.

Only comes in chrome (I’m feeling a bit like a pirate).

Anyway, never saw this mentioned here, and thought folks might be interested in knowing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen it but wish I had so I could compare have a Brakeaway on the way. Brakeaway install could be easier, but will be worth it so long as it works well.

Looks humongous!!

Also, I know that installation could be much more complicated, but isn't an Audiovox CCS100 like $185?

yeah... I gotta come down on the side of... it's chrome? no really? chrome?

Vista Cruise baby :) make yourself a little sheet metal bracket... good to go... 25 bucks...

Here's a link to a thread describing my install:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=127905&st=0&p=894891entry894891

and a quick pic ...

bracket-websize.JPG

It's an easy thing to do. Just make a bracket that will keep it in place, without binding it up. No more to it than that.

Yes, it does look kinda big hanging out there. And the whole chrome thing does kinda put me off. But if you're looking at a BreakAway, this is another option in the same price range with the same functionality. And it's stupid easy to install.

I'm thinking maybe a rattle-can of black spray paint... :blink: :D

Yes, it does look kinda big hanging out there. And the whole chrome thing does kinda put me off. But if you're looking at a BreakAway, this is another option in the same price range with the same functionality. And it's stupid easy to install.

I'm thinking maybe a rattle-can of black spray paint... :blink: :D
hahaha okay... I'm down with the rattle can for sure ... ;)

An Update.

I emailed Tak-Lok to ask about disassembling the unit to paint it. They highly suggested against it, but mentioned that they have just started making a black matte version. They had me send in my chrome lock and exchanged it with a black matte lock. Think I'm going to like this one, looks much better than the chrome on this bike. They haven't updated their website with the black lock yet, but expect to do that "soon".

FYI

1340387870990.jpg

1340387863339.jpg

Anybody know why the Breakaway is incompatible with any kind of heated grips?
the breakaway is mounted BETWEEN the grip and the switch houseing which will push your grip off the end of the handle bar by about a half inch. The breakaway will also give ya some issues with the V-Strom hand guards as they will need to be lenghthened by a half inch as well. It can be done by GENTLY heating it up with a butane torch and bend the arm just s bit.

Thanks Neil Honey, I am ordering a Tak-Lok for my 2013 FJR "Naomie Harris". That way odot does not have to hear me bitching about the stupid ass 80mph limit on the ridiculous 2013 Yamaha cruise control, odot said that my constant complaining about it was driving him to drinking! MORE!

Pluses:
Works on heated grips.

Comes in black matte.

Thanks Neil Honey, I am ordering a Tak-Lok for my 2013 FJR "Naomie Harris". That way odot does not have to hear me bitching about the stupid ass 80mph limit on the ridiculous 2013 Yamaha cruise control, odot said that my constant complaining about it was driving him to drinking! MORE!
Pluses:

Works on heated grips.

Comes in black matte.
Right on. Right on. Right on. Got one on the way.

Now, anybody got a Gen I/II left switch housing they can part with so that I can get rid of those useless cruise control switches that are clutttering things up?

This looks like a GoCruise at 8x the price.
While it looks a little like a GoCruise, it works completely different. It compares very closely to the Breakaway throttle lock.
After closer examination, I definitely stand corrected.

This may actually be the solution I've been looking for, assuming it works with a Pazzo lever. And, can you adjust your brake lever reach without readjusting the Tak-Lok?

This looks like a GoCruise at 8x the price.
While it looks a little like a GoCruise, it works completely different. It compares very closely to the Breakaway throttle lock.
After closer examination, I definitely stand corrected.

This may actually be the solution I've been looking for, assuming it works with a Pazzo lever. And, can you adjust your brake lever reach without readjusting the Tak-Lok?
I'll let you know when mine gets here. Looks like it will be OK as the adjustment on the Pazzo's doesn't effect the maximum extension of the lever, only how far back in the lever travel engagement of the clutch/brake begins.

But, I've been wrong before........ Stay tuned.

You should be able to use it with Pazzos. But I would think you would need to adjust it after adjusting the levers. But the good news is that its very easy to adjust, if it does indeed need it.

Edit: I just saw AKjitsu's post above. If the Pazzo lever adjustment doesn't affect the maximum lever extension as he says, then there should be no need to adjust the TakLok. (never had Pazzo levers myself, so I can't say for sure)

Latest posts