Throttle response Stumble due to bad fuel.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ Greg

Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass along this issue and resolution in case others might have a similar problem....

I bought an '03 a week ago and drove about half the tank out of it when it began to progressively exhibit a throttle stumble as I rode down the freeway. It would accelerate and decelerate smoothly, but wouldn't hold a constant speed without bucking. The bucking was the same as I've felt when there's been water in my fuel in other situations. This wasn't water because, if it was, you'd feel the bucking and hesitation under acceleration as well. It progressively got worse and was exhibiting some really violent lashing of the drive train as it alternated between 'gas on' and 'gas off' while trying to maintain a constant speed. Once off the freeway I found I could somewhat control the lashing at lower speeds using the clutch.

At any rate I called the guy I'd bought it from and asked where he got the fuel - he said it was premium and it came from a gas can in his garage that was about 2 weeks old (Don't know about you, but things in my shop enter a time warp and are there for years and I swear they've only been there for a week). I called the dealer and talked with a service tech and he said the fuel injection system is very sensitive to decaying fuel. He said acceleration would still seem fine but that the off-idle stumble is where bad fuel would rear it's ugly head.

I siphoned off all the fuel I could with a siphon hose (which turned out to be all but about 1/2 gallon), refilled the tank and as an extra precaution added a few ounces of 'Heat' (Isopropyl Achohol stuff from Autozone to absorb moisture in the tank). Immediately the bike ran smoother, but during the course of riding through the tankfull it had occasional short bouts with bucking (I assume the 1/2 gallon of bad stuff still in there). I rode the bike through the full tank and 35 miles into the tank's reserve to get as much fuel burned as possible before refilling again. Refilled it a 2nd time and have had no bucking since.

Glad it was nothing worse and maybe this can help someone to eliminate this possibility before spending time and $ on other potential causes of a similar malady.

Best,

Greg

Just thought I'd pass along this issue and resolution in case others might have a similar problem....... a throttle stumble ... accelerate and decelerate smoothly... wouldn't hold a constant speed without bucking. ...water in my fuel ... wasn't water ... exhibiting..really violent lashing of the drive train... premium...2 weeks old ...dealer ...service tech .. said the fuel injection system is very sensitive to decaying fuel. ...about 1/2 gallon... refilled the tank ...few ounces of 'Heat'

Immediately the bike ran smoother
Good for you, Greg. Thanks

Around here, the guys (that need it) swear by 'Sea Foam' -- I think some of them pretty much run mostly on the stuff (it's that good).

Funny thing about 'bad gas'?, it only hits some people....? Others go along blithely ignorant of it for years? Maybe never experience it?

Strange....? :unsure:

Hmmm, sounds suspiciously like lean surging & not bad gas. Greg, glad it's working out for you, though.

Greg --

It very well may have been bad gas, but...

There was a throttle position sensor recall on the '03s. Make sure it has been done on yours. Worst case scenario for checking on the recall: You get a new TPS installed for free.

As squeezer eluded, here is the information on the sensor recall:

This recall covers the 2003-2005 model year bikes:

Make : YAMAHA Model : FJR1300 Year : 2003-2005

Manufacturer : YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date : SEP 27, 2006

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V371000

PE06020

NHTSA Action Number: PE06020

Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 39757

Summary:

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, AN IMPROPERLY DESIGNED THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR COULD CAUSE AN INTERMITTENTLY UNSTABLE IDLE WHEN THE ENGINE IS AT IDLING SPEED WHEN THE MOTORCYCLE IS STOPPED OR DURING LOW-SPEED OPERATIONS. THE ENGINE COULD STALL AS A RESULT.

Consequence:

IF THE ENGINE STALLS AFTER THE OPERATOR DISENGAGES THE CLUTCH IN A LOW GEAR WHILE RIDING, THE REAR TIRE MIGHT SLIP MOMENTARILY IF THE OPERATOR ABRUPTLY RE-ENGAGES THE CLUTCH. THIS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH WITH INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 16, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-888-88-YAMAHA.

Notes:

CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Thanks to all for the replies -I'll be checking out Sea Foam and the Throttle Position Sensor. best, Greg

FOLLOW UP... Well the problem returned with a vengeance. I called the dealer and sure enough, the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on my '03 had not been replaced and it was covered under the factory recall. The dealer replaced it in a day at no charge and the bike ran GREAT after the replacement. That's been a week and a half ago and no recurrence of the problem since the change. Pretty bizarre how the fuel replacement seemed to fix the issue for a while... moral to the story; check the TPS !