Throttle return spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threepointlanding

Reaction score
I searched the forum for this topic, but didn't find it. This has to have been spoken about before me.

I just picked up a 2003 the other day, and simply love it. The only issue I have, that's I've not had on other bikes is thumb and pointer finger numbing.

Some have said, "just shake it out" or "relax your grip", but at a point, these are band aids, and things you're forced to due if you're human..lol.

I've also hear talk of "unwinding" the throttle return spring a turn or two (I would imagine once to start).

Before tearing anything apart, I was wondering if anyone had a set of instructions, or if it should even be done.

Please and thank you,

Threepointlanding

Thanks, for the smart azzed answer...lol. Love the google link "was that so hard...rofl"....!!

Yeah, searching inside the forum doesn't really pull a whole lot.

And that's what I was wondering, if it was worth doing, or dangerous to the bike, me, all the above?

You still USN?

6 years on the boats, 6 years with specwar

Last edited by a moderator:
This is also a symptom of Pressure on your nerves in your neck. You may want to change the Sweep on your Handlebars and pay attention to your Neck position.

I'm new to the bike, this could be a heavy helping of me....

I'm going to read through and see what others have considered as well.

Thank you for the links sir...

"Most" have been very happy with the spring release, and you can return the spring with some patience if you don't like it.

As Mr. Silver mentioned there are many factors involved with the riding position as well.

I had the same problem day one. The grip puppies which increases grip size more to my liking and also increases the friction from the grip to my glove allowing me to ease up on my thumb wrap (when in the straights).

The Throttlemister (bar end cruise control) I can take my throttle hand off for a few minutes when needed.

I retired after 20 (blackshoe flyer), but still working as a contractor in Navy spaces keeping the JO's inline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I'm going to give the throttle puppy a chance here, and perhaps the Throttlemesiter before I start gambling on a idle return time.

I have a wristsaver, but not sure if I like that on there. Seems like a bit of a suicide wheel to me.

This is also a symptom of Pressure on your nerves in your neck. You may want to change the Sweep on your Handlebars and pay attention to your Neck position.
According to a chiropractor associate of mine, numbness of the thumb and forefinger are more likely signs of various stages of carpal tunnel syndrome while numbness of the :****: finger, ring finger and pinky, is usually an indicator of problems with the ulnar nerve, with the issue originating in the neck.

Check your throttle effort with any Honda or some other bike. If it's noticeably stiffer and you're getting wrist pain, then it probably was not unwound. There are two other springs. There is a bit of a delay, but I don't find this a problem, much preferable. If you were riding along with a throttle lock device on, it would be much worse. Just train yourself to know, and help it back off if necessary... it all becomes second nature. For me, there is no issue with this.

I just went through a slew of left and right wrist issues related to over use while working on my house. Some was nerves and some was biomechanical in nature. If it is the thumb and pointer finger its likely the median nerve which runs through the carpal tunnel. If its carpal tunnel there are some specific tests that can be done at home to diagnose.. To me it does not sound like its neck related and this as a causal factor would be not very likely.

Now, when I had my wrist issues... I did do the throttle spring unwind to see if this would help. You can read all about it here (post 130773). In the end this mod was not for me or my bike.

You could try Helibars, bar end weights, Grip puppies. Maybe go see a doc or physical therapist for your wrists as well. If it is nerve related - you don't want that issue to continue since nerves can be damaged beyond repair.

Good luck!

Scott

After reading all that, I'm gong to start with cheap and easy. Grippuppies, see what happens. Didn't sound like fun, trying to get a wind back...."not at all"....."ratsin fratsin"....yeah, can see that all day long....lol.

According to a chiropractor associate of mine, numbness of the thumb and forefinger are more likely signs of various stages of carpal tunnel syndrome while numbness of the :****: finger, ring finger and pinky, is usually an indicator of problems with the ulnar nerve, with the issue originating in the neck.
My F'd up disks (C-2 thru C-5) results in numbness in the index finger and thumb of my lefthand, and I'm a southpaw.

I did the unwinding of the throttle return spring and am very, very pleased with it. It was easy to do and lessened the tension significantly. I also use a Crampbuster for my commute and a Throttlemeister for long trips. But unwinding the spring was the single best thing I did.

I did the throttle spring and also added the Vista cruise. If you are going to add a Vista then you really don't need tp lesson the tension in my opinion because you can lesson it with the vista cruise. Another tip I learned from the board is using the Vista from the Honda. I filed it thinner and did not have to modify the grip. Looks good and works great
VistaCruise001.jpg