Throttle Rocker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried one of these. I have custom made bar ends and don't want to mess with a throttle lock, so I thought this might work.

I have grip puppies, so I wasn't even sure if the thing would fit.

clicky

Edit: No wonder I didn't find it when I searched, I put in +throttle +rocket ...... Dumbass...

Last edited by a moderator:
As with most items, you will get all kinds of replies. I absolutely hated the one I tried. Others have almost gotten in wrecks while using one of these in the twisties. Yet, still others love them. Spend the few measly $$$ and try one yourself.

Also, go look for the "Worst Farkles" thread where this contraption gets several honorable mentions.

Anyone ever tried one of these. I have custom made bar ends and don't want to mess with a throttle lock, so I thought this might work. I have grip puppies, so I wasn't even sure if the thing would fit.

clicky
I used one of those with the grip puppies. Worked out great on my 3000+ mile trip last year. I got it at California Sport Touring IIRC.

I concour with SkooterG assesment (but in his case his wrist isn't limp) so that's why he has no need for one....unlike the rest of us :lol: ....(but I think it works great :good: )

I think the "original" throttle rockers are no longer made. I have had one, purchased from a friend, for nearly 2 years and love it. It's real easy to rotate out of the way if you're doing the Dragon.

I think the newer ones with some kind of velcro attachment are the ones everyone hate. Do they make a new style without the velcro? It would probably be ok.

Its a big plus for distance riding, especially when used with a VistaCruise.

Anyone ever tried one of these. I have custom made bar ends and don't want to mess with a throttle lock, so I thought this might work. I have grip puppies, so I wasn't even sure if the thing would fit.

clicky
I carry one on my BMW. Haven't used it on the Feejer yet, as I haven't taken a long trip on it.

They are good and bad. In city or twistie riding they could cause you to not come off the throttle in time to slow down.

On the open highway they are great. They take a lot of the strain off your wrist.

The good part is you can put them on or take them off while riding.

Hope this helps.

I have the one with the velcro tightening strap. Grip puppies or changes in grip size pose no problem. While this thing took a little getting used to, I love it and would not ride without it. And this is a cheap, low-risk farkle. Buy one and see what you think. Just give it a good couple of weeks trial. You can prolly save a couple bucks shipping by buying local. I found mine at the local Harley dealer for about $10. It is the only purchase I have ever made at a Harley dealer.

edit: This thing takes a little "playing with" to find the "nirvana" spot. Once you do, this little thing gives nothing but benefits. The wrong location and you'll get frustrated rather quickly.

I concour with SkooterG assesment (but in his case his wrist isn't limp) so that's why he has no need for one....unlike the rest of us :lol: ....(but I think it works great :good: )

Soooo, how do you keep that wrist in such good shape, Skooter??? :p

It is only for an upcoming highway ride. Only 6 hours, but it would be nice to take it easy on the wrist. I wouldn't use it off the highway.

I have the one with the velcro tightening strap. Grip puppies or changes in grip size pose no problem. While this thing took a little getting used to, I love it and would not ride without it. And this is a cheap, low-risk farkle. Buy one and see what you think. Just give it a good couple of weeks trial. You can prolly save a couple bucks shipping by buying local. I found mine at the local Harley dealer for about $10. It is the only purchase I have ever made at a Harley dealer.
edit: This thing takes a little "playing with" to find the "nirvana" spot. Once you do, this little thing gives nothing but benefits. The wrong location and you'll get frustrated rather quickly.
So you say!....but can you prove it? :grin: .....(the harley dealer part that is)

using Bart Simpson voice...

You've got no witnesses, you can't prove a thing! ;)

Used one for years on at least two bikes including a Concours & the 05 FJR. Really liked it. I find that they really help when on a trip. As was said above you will find both opinons. Get one & try it for yourself they are only about $10. Suggest trying it on the open road before using it in town or in the twisties to give yourself a chance to get used to it. Be careful, good luck.

I have one too but mine is the slim model that just wraps around the original grip. I found that simply trimming the grip puppie a little shorter allowing for the width of the device worked best for me.

I think the newer ones with some kind of velcro attachment are the ones everyone hate. Do they make a new style without the velcro? It would probably be ok.
Yep, the velcro ones are the pits. IIRC, there was a patent issue between a couple of companies so the Throttlerocker had to go to velcro. The new style is named the Crampbuster clicky. It has the plastic around the grip design but it doesn't have the same contour for the palm as the Throttlerocker. I have a Throttlerocker on the right and the wide version of the Crampbuster on the left as a hand-rest, both are great.

Yep, the velcro ones are the pits.
I have a velcro type. Its takes a bit of learning to get adept at putting it on, but I love it. I take it off and toss it in the cubbyhole for twisties and stop and go stuff, but for burning miles across OK or KS, its great. Like scab said, you have to find the right position and you have to remember its there if you have to stop, but its no big deal. I have a plain plastic one, too, but find the velcros easier to get positioned right.