Throttle Spring Relief

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the center spring off the tang with a little screw driver. Just let er rip. It went around 1 turn & stopped, well out of the way of everything. No safety wire, just stays out of the way.
Just an FYI.

The people using the safety wire are connecting it to the spring before they remove it. Then they just move the end over so it's not actually doing its job. This way the spring still has the original tension and if they want to put it back they still can. For those of us that just took a screw driver and flicked it off in order to get the tension back and put it back on is a real job. Of course I have no plans of that so don't care. :D

I also unhooked mine yesterday.It also rotated one turn and reconnected.Makes a VERY noticeable difference in throttle "effort".

I can't believe I waited two years to do this!

I don't understand this issue at all. I mean, I'm a 155lb weakling here, and I have absolutely zero issue with the throttle spring tension. What's the deal??

I don't understand this issue at all. I mean, I'm a 155lb weakling here, and I have absolutely zero issue with the throttle spring tension. What's the deal??
You must not ride enough. ;)

I could generally handle about an hour or so of constant riding before my hand started to hurt. That's even with a throttle rocker! The spring was so strong that my Throttlemeister throttle lock would only work for about 30 seconds before being yanked off by the spring again. One spin of the main throttle spring and all is now good. :) If you're happy with it the way it is, find someone who's done the mod and check the difference before unwinding the spring... I can't imagine anyone NOT liking it, but anything is possible I guess.

Does your hand go to numb meat like ours. It really wasn't for me the strength issue but the little bit of pressure we had to add to keeping the throttle in place just added to the dead meat problem. Now we don't have to hold on it hardly at all and it lessens (not eliminate) the issue...

I don't get near the numb hand issue anymore since upgrading to tacki-grips. I also have the MCL +6 risers, but I want to play with a different set (D&D).

You guys have to understand that some here have very well developed right wrist/hand muscles. How they got that way, I can only guess.

You guys have to understand that some here have very well developed right wrist/hand muscles. How they got that way, I can only guess.
You know, as I was entering my note, I was thinking that someone would find that angle. :haha: