Ticking Valve Adjustment?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackcloud

Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 fjr,it has a ticking sound from the motoe. I went to a dealer and he told me it was normal but I have a problem with that.They told me some tick more than others,This bike has 30,000 miles on it,Ihave read different things about this problem.Should I be concerened?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be valves or injectors that you're hearing. Loose valves tick more from what I've heard but that doesn't mean they're out of range.

I can hear ticking from mine at idle also but all 3 motorcycles I've owned have done it to some degree. If it runs fine with plenty of power then It's probably ok.

Here is where sometime too much information reading can be worrysome and cause

hypersensitivity/paranoia....there are countless threads on this, and if

ye google, "fjr ticking" you will find a video of what the "dreaded & feared" sounds like.

You will see/hear from the video how loud and distinctive it is.....

I thought my 04 was a ticker and I'm pretty sure it was the cam chain tensioner. (Totaled it before I could get it diagnosed)

GP

I thought my 04 was a ticker and I'm pretty sure it was the cam chain tensioner. (Totaled it before I could get it diagnosed)
GP
Well that was a rather dramatic way to get rid of the problem, dontcha think? :p

Kind of a "baby - bathwater" sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator: