Tie down points

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
I am finding my first nit to pick. When going on a camping endeavor I am finding there are a serious lack of places to hook the bungees for all those things ya got to take along. Any one have any answers. If you are going to stay in a hotel there is enough room but for Camping I have problems.

big yellow duffle bungeed to '04...

CFRTOEOM033.jpg

CFRTOEOM047.jpg

Cloths in one sidecase, sleeping bag in the other. Stick the sleep apnia machine in the topcase, and tie down your tent on the passenger seat. If you sleeping bag doesn't fit in the sidecase, stick it in the topcase, you tie it down to the pillion seat with the tent using the grabrail as your tie down points. Stick your rain gear in with the sleeping bag or sleep machine, whichever has more room.

I managed to bring things for a camping trip, an extra FJR seat, hydration mounting system (which is no where near as small as the skyway system), and some misc items on my bike before and had no problems. I did this with an aux fuel cell which takes the place of the pillion seat also.

I think a big part of it is cutting back on your cloths. If your taking more than a side cases worth of cloths, your taking way too much on a camping trip. You never did say how long your camping trip is either.

Short loops of nylon webbing (or Spectra cord) hitched through the passenger grab rails (2 per side) if I'm solo. Then bungee to the loops. If I'm 2-up... well, there aren't all that many good options. I stuff the MotoFizz bag with as much stuff as I can and strap it on the same way, only further back.

Sorry, I don't have pics. If you need some IM me and I'll set it up and take a few.

Griff

Looks like I am better off pulling my Tour pack and going with big soft bags from what I see. Thanks for the info.

Looks like I am better off pulling my Tour pack and going with big soft bags from what I see. Thanks for the info.
Depending on the size of the items you are going to be taking with you, the hard top case sometimes doesn't help much, when most of the items you have trouble with (tents, sleeping bags, etc) are just too big to fit in it...

Boy, I wish I could find the picture of my Dad's honda 360 loaded up for 2-up tent camping when he was my age, he didn't have any thing but a luggage rack, but he still managed to have room for everything for a week-long trip...

Chris

Cloths in one sidecase, sleeping bag in the other. Stick the sleep apnia machine in the topcase, and tie down your tent on the passenger seat. If you sleeping bag doesn't fit in the sidecase, stick it in the topcase, you tie it down to the pillion seat with the tent using the grabrail as your tie down points. Stick your rain gear in with the sleeping bag or sleep machine, whichever has more room.
I managed to bring things for a camping trip, an extra FJR seat, hydration mounting system (which is no where near as small as the skyway system), and some misc items on my bike before and had no problems. I did this with an aux fuel cell which takes the place of the pillion seat also.

I think a big part of it is cutting back on your cloths. If your taking more than a side cases worth of cloths, your taking way too much on a camping trip. You never did say how long your camping trip is either.
3 days to a week on most occasions. some times a little more.

OK i want to know how you are going to power your sleep apnea machine while you are camping?

i've quit camping for this very reason

I used to have a gold wing with a luggage rack mounted on top of its tail trunk. This was a great place to strap light stuff like a sleeping bag and/or a tent. This left room in the trunk and side bags for other stuff.

You can do it, I just do not think it is the best option out there,

Pic007.jpg

When i went to daytona, last year, I just used the top case and put the sleeping bag and tent behind me on the pillion and used those and another smaller golf drink bag i think it was called a caddie bag or something like that.

Only use a small tent like this though... plenty big enough....

BIkeweek007.jpg

Take less crap?
Lets see Tent, Sleeping bag, sleep apnia machine, leathers, rain gear, toiletteries and clothes. What don't I need?
Spook, have you tried ditching the cpap for a few days on end? I've had one for about 2 years. after a few months of using it I found that I could get by with out it for a while. Sometimes weeks on end. Eventually I need to use it again. But you might want to try a few nites at home to test. I go by what GF says in the morning or if shes not around I go by my dreams. If you dream, you entered REM. I had zero REM without the cpap for years. Shit, dumping the cpap alone will free up an entire side bag.