Tie down points

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe you need a sidecar. too bad they don't make one of those leaning sidecar sets for the FJR, only Beemers. :(

Yamaha_FJR1300_1.jpg

Definatly need to try harder. I packed up enough crap for a 2 week stint to Calgary and back. I did use bungies for most tieing work, and for safty sake, I used a bungie net over everything after it was secured. In retrospect, I could have gone with less crap.

DSC_2111.jpg

Take less crap?
Lets see Tent, Sleeping bag, sleep apnia machine, leathers, rain gear, toiletteries and clothes. What don't I need?
Spook, have you tried ditching the cpap for a few days on end? I've had one for about 2 years. after a few months of using it I found that I could get by with out it for a while. Sometimes weeks on end. Eventually I need to use it again. But you might want to try a few nites at home to test. I go by what GF says in the morning or if shes not around I go by my dreams. If you dream, you entered REM. I had zero REM without the cpap for years. Shit, dumping the cpap alone will free up an entire side bag.
My running mates cant sleep even 20 feet away if I don't have the machine. I snore louder that harley pipes. I also have a tendency to nod off in the middle of the afternoon when I do not use it.

Not sure if you know that the givi box comes off in about 15 seconds so you wont need to have it on when you don't want to.

Mine also has a rack on top of the givi kind of like the 60s English sports cars, mg, triumph, etc. you could put something on top of the Givi but I don't think that I would drive much over 100 if I had that much on top.

Not sure if you know that the givi box comes off in about 15 seconds so you wont need to have it on when you don't want to.Mine also has a rack on top of the givi kind of like the 60s English sports cars, mg, triumph, etc. you could put something on top of the Givi but I don't think that I would drive much over 100 if I had that much on top.
I already have the OEM tour pack so not gonna get another. I have seen some good ideas on packing things it just seems the newer bikes have a lot less tie points than the old ones.

Still the question where to you strap off to?
There are more areas to loop around than to hook to; grab rails, pillion peg brackets, LP holder... Seek and ye shall find. Or just steal these guys /\ ideas. ;)
I bought soft nylon tie down loops made to loop and secure the bike on a trailer etc. I use them to loop through the pillion grab rails and then attach bungee cords that have carabiner's on the end. Seems to work great and so far no scratches on the grab rails. Tie down loops cost something like 1.98 for two.

Riding solo? or two up? Riding alone or with a buddy?

If solo, the back seat can accept all kinds of camping gear such as tent, sleeping mat etc. I use a cargo net on top of whatever else is securing the gear, just for extra peace of mind.

If riding with a buddy, you can share some of the load, such as tools, maps, first aid kit etc.

Next time you replace your riding gear, look into multipurpose stuff. I have Olympia mesh jacket and pants. That's good for warm weather, then the liners are added for cool or wet weather. Those same liners work for sitting around the camp fire.

Good luck with getting everything packed.

Jill

One thing I've found that helps keep packing down is woolite. I use it to wash out socks and non-cotton underwear, which I roll up in a towel and stomp mightily to wring them nearly dry, then put in a mesh bag, which goes where air can get to it. Everything's dry by evening. I get by with two changes.

Then the Givi top bag has room in it for way more than I need. I keep throwing in extra stuff. I may take a Vespa along next time.

the bungy buddy placed here help a bunch

54420984.jpg

and two more placed on the back of a GOOD rack that is powder coated to last not like the crap oem and you can carry anything!

184327501.jpg