Time for a new jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll throw in with Shane on this one. I have run the Tourmaster stuff for years, and it's worked fine for me, BUT, I started reading about Rev'it!, and started lurking around on e-bay. Long story short, I now have the Rev'it! Air and Lab jackets, my wife and I both wear the Tribe pants. The wife also has a Rev'it! jacket, but I'm too lazy to go upstairs to look at it. All this stuff for about 50% less than the shops sell it for.

The armor on the Rev'it! gear doesn't slide around, the fit is excellent, it doesn't give you that feeling like you just have to settle for what you get. I actually like to wear this stuff. The only complaint is that the women's pants don't come in long, 36-inch inseam sizes. That's a luxury problem. I would recommend this gear without hesitation.

All that being said, I'll be buying a 'stich next month for my commuting. Rev'it! for touring with the Mrs.

Wow! That many letters before a " 'stich" mention.

I have had an Aerostich Darien Jacket and pants for a number of years and about 80,000 miles. Getting pretty faded so it might be time for a change. However, they still work great. Just ran down to North Carolina with rain for 3 states and stayed comfy and dry. I can carry my weight in stuff in the pockets. And it still feels nearly bullet-proof. Will be hard to retire it.

I know there are a lot of great and cool looking textile jackets out there in the market. but given the performance I have gotten from my 'stich, there is no doubt in my mind that it is being replaced with another Darien. And I am really only thinking of changing to get the color (hi-viz) back. THis jacket and pants have been incredible. Every weather and condition. I have beeen "comfortable" from 20-104 degrees and felt protected the whole time. Had the velcro replaced when it wore out, and that is all it has had for problems. Really, that was just maint. And the customer service was spot on.

Count me a devoted believer. I know I could have gotten a few jackets for what I have invested in my Darien gear, but none of them would have been a 'stich. To me at least and my most humble opinion, I am sticking with Aerostich. As many have said simply, it just works!

paul from Minnesota

I have the Tour Master Intake 2 it's pretty much an all season jacket, so far I really like it, it could be a pain to remove all the liners when not needed. The fit is good, I also have their over pants.

I've got the Joe Rocket for summer. I've very happy with it. However for protection, cold, rain, pockets, versatility and touring nothing for me can beat the Aero Stitch. I've worn the pants and jacket for years. They only draw back is heat, that's why I switch to the Joe Rocket for summer. https://www.aerostich.com

I just ordered a Vanson lether jacket. It's made of heavy leather, full armor and only a few buck more than most off the shelf. They are having a sale this weekend in Fallriver mass. Check them out

I put my Leather Jacket in to have the zipper replaced ($45). I'll use that for the "cooler" days. I am looking for a mesh jacket for summer riding. Shift makes a Airborne jacket that I thought looked good, but the shop I found it in didn't have my size. I'll go give Rev it a look and see what they have...

Thanks for all the input.. it's has been helpful....

I put my Leather Jacket in to have the zipper replaced ($45). I'll use that for the "cooler" days. I am looking for a mesh jacket for summer riding. Shift makes a Airborne jacket that I thought looked good, but the shop I found it in didn't have my size. I'll go give Rev it a look and see what they have...
Thanks for all the input.. it's has been helpful....
Go to cycle gear they have lots of mesh stuff. They also give a satifaction garantee. I have had very good luck with them. They will also order in anythng you want and give the same garantee. I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix and the sleeves and front and back panels zip off and become mesh. I know Joe Rocket also makes a fully perforated leather jacket since you like leather.

I have the same jacket as fjrbluesman and he right. it is too hot when it gets close to 80. I don't have any problems with the neck though. He is a scrawny little dude and his neck is too small.

Good luck dude.

I'll echo the 'Stich Darien recommendations. I owned a regular Darien for 10 yrs and just traded it for a Darien Light. Of all the tons of gear I've owned, the Darien jacket and pants win hands down. I couldn't wear the regular Darien above 85F when it was humid but the Light version is so far working well into the 90's. My goal is to try and avoid using my mesh gear at all this summer.

For me, the number one factor that makes the Darien gear so wondrful is that it is 100% waterproof WITHOUT a liner. I hate having to stop an add rain gear and in Texas, it often rains when it's hot and muggy. Adding a liner under a jacket that then gets soaked on the outside is a recipe for being miserable.

If I do have to switch over to the mesh gear (July-Aug), I will still carry the Darien Light (sans armor) as my rain jacket. The pants I can wear year round regardless of the temp.

This is probably the top of the line albeit rather expensive. I've had mine for 15 years with no complaints. Perhaps some of the PNWers know about them.
LANGLITZ LEATHERS

2443-A SE Division

Portland, Oregon 97202

Phone:503-235-0959

Fax:503-235-0049

+1 on Langlitz. Really nice people too. Nothing but custom work. I wish I could afford one.

Langlitz Leathers

I like the TOURMASTER INTAKE jacket it is made of 600 denier Carbolex combine with 1680 denier ballistic polyester in the impact areas. It also has reflective piping for safety to increase night time visibility. The Intake also has Removable armor at the elbow and shoulder combined with an Triple Density back protector. The Intake has two liners the first is a waterproof liner & the second is a insulated liner, If you remove both the jacket is (mesh) vented for warm riding. This is my only jacket because it works for all weather, even the really cold days plus you only need one jacket for a trip so it is easy to pack.

I'd also encourage you to check out Olympia Motosports gear. I've got an AST jacket and Ranger pants for cold weather and both wife and I have Airglide pants and jackets for hot. I'm very satisfied with both. My riding buddy has an old 'Stich that's been a Great jacket, but methinks when he replaces it later this year it will be with an AST. Check 'em out at Tellico Outiftters--Nice folks to work with!

". . . I was just wondering if there were any recommendations from anyone out there."

Read that and thought: "Here it comes." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next time, ask about something easy, like oil. Or tires. Sounds like everybody's pretty happy with what they have. Kind of a human nature thing. I'd have to weigh in with MM2, though, regarding "crash tested" gear, since that's why we wear it. He took a very nasty spill in his Cycleport/Motoport kevlar. Good padding, good tear and abrasion protection. NO road rash, though nothing can completely protect you from blunt force impact. By the way, it did the same for me, sorry to admit. Another happy customer. :stunned:

Last edited by a moderator:
in the heat, Motoport is unbeatable. Great protection. Hi-visbility color (if you want). Will outlast any polyester jacket by years. With a liner (goretex) the temp range goes down to about 50.

I usually boycott Joe Rocket, but my best g/f Larry just bought this jacket and I like the versatility.

Super Ego Jacket

It's a leather jacket, but 75% of the leather zips fully off to reveal a mesh jacket underneath. Fully convertable leather to mesh jacket. Cool idea. Me likes