Time for new boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Looking to replace the still in good shape, but now uncomfortable Cycle Gear Bilt boots that made it a year and a half. Replacing the insole is an option, but I think I want to upgrade.

I know that fit/comfort is subjective, but what I am mainly looking for is the ability to have/add some thickness to the bottom to help with my vertically challenged inseam of 29".

For those that find New Balance tennis shoes the most comfortable, what brands of boots do you prefer.

TIA,

Greg

Hi Greg,

I have these TCX boots and i am very happy with them!

Very comfortable,waterproof,warm for the winter and not hot in the summer.

They have the new Gore-tex membrane for better breathability.

https://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti-dettaglio.php?prodotto=11

Here is all the touring line

https://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti-dettaglio.php?categoria=2

0twsql_zps6fad0ed0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lack of arch support caused me problems with the Tourmaster Solution 2.0 boots. I threw away the flimsy pads that came with the boots and replaced them with Superfeet insoles https://www.superfeet.com/ , solved the problem for me. If you decide to go the insole route, you might consider them.

I find I like New Balance athletic shoes too. I am also a fan of the TCX boots.

The lasts they build their boots on seem to be more generous in the forefoot than many of European brands. I had a pair of Solution 1.0's that were good, but not nearly as nice as my current TCX X-Five Plus Goretex touring boots. I have two years of riding in them and they are still in perfect shape, fully waterporoof, and seem to keep my feet cooler in the summer than the old Solutions were.

+1 on what Milhalis posted above. I have a wide, warm foot and found those to be extremely comfortable. Never an issue with rain either.

Been wearing 609 New Balance shoes for many years and will add another vote for the TCX. I am on my third pair of those. Looks like your search is over.
smile.png

I think your right Ray.

My first pair was Oxtars, so I don't think I will go wrong. Just have to camp out on Revzilla for a sale.

Thanks everybody, much appreciated.

Greg

Greg,

Also +1 on the TCX-XFive's. Tony [pathfinder] found a great deal on the boots. They have survived a couple years of hard service. The only problem that I have had is one of flap pull tab came off. Maybe operator error might have been involved in problem.

I wear Sidi MX boot and cycling shoes, but didn't have a great fit in the touring boots. After trying on about a dozen brands and styles, I love the AlpineStar boots I settled on. Not high end, but fit great, and look good.

My touring boots are Bates Fastlanes. Not the most protection but as comfy as bedroom slippers. Full leather liner inside that is softer than I knew leather could be. You send them a bunch of measurements and tracings of your feet. They send you boots you can wear all day from day one. I personally don't like waterproof boots during summer riding, too hot. I would rather put rubber overboots on them when it rains. Because they are sewn together in the USA instead of glued, they can be re-heeled and re-soled, Mine are 14 years old so I can only assume they are still being made the same way.

My touring boots are Bates Fastlanes. Not the most protection but as comfy as bedroom slippers. Full leather liner inside that is softer than I knew leather could be. You send them a bunch of measurements and tracings of your feet. They send you boots you can wear all day from day one. I personally don't like waterproof boots during summer riding, too hot. I would rather put rubber overboots on them when it rains. Because they are sewn together in the USA instead of glued, they can be re-heeled and re-soled, Mine are 14 years old so I can only assume they are still being made the same way.
I also have Bates Fastlane boots. I have had them resoled, put some black polish on them and they still look good. Not waterproof, not hot and very comfortable. Back zipper makes for easy on & off. I've had them at least 30 yrs., yeh I don't ride enough.

<snip>I know that fit/comfort is subjective, but what I am mainly looking for is the ability to have/add some thickness to the bottom to help with my vertically challenged inseam of 29".
Greg - IMHO Motorcycle specific boots are going to leave you short [pun intended] of what you're looking for. I have a pair of waterproof Red Wings similar to these, that are going on 15 years old and finally getting tired. They were originally marketed as MC Boots way back when and also have a full 2" heel for us inseam challenged folks.

I'm trying to like a new pair of TM Solution 2.0 boots but it's not going very well so far...

--G

I have a pair of "logger" style Carhart boots made by Redwing that are reasonable comfortable, supportive, and have about a 2 inch heel. I had Redwing bike boots before and these are just as comfortable. You also might look for Lineman style boots. Not great for hiking but fine for riding.

Done about 40 000 miles in my Tour Master Solution 2

Happy so far.

In part this seems to be an "individual fit" issue.

As others have stated a good choice is TCX Infinity. Looked at a lot of boots, Wanted ankle protection and a little bit of sole to allow a more flat footed riding.position. Wrecked my ankle when I crashed wearing cheap Tourmaster boots. Won't do that again.

TCX is a great leather boot. But, any boot is only as good as it fits your foot.

G.

Recently bought some Sidis but just too tight. After further research decided on the TCX Five plus Goretex. Should be here this Monday and after the above comments looks like it was a good choice.