Time for New Front Brake Pads!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majicmaker

Reaction score
I have the Manual. It looks easy enough to do myself but, at $296 for 4 Kits, :unsure: They'd better be Gold Plated! :rolleyes:

Is there a Decent Aftermarket Set out there that will do the job at a lower price! I'll pay it if I have to but, Holy Crap Batman!!! :dribble:

Radiohowie told me that mcatrophy posted a nice How-To write-up a few months back for the 2006 AE with ABS but, I can't find it anywhere. I've tried my best to find it but, I can't.

Maybe someone out there can help me out with that. I would be Most Appreciative. Thanks. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Manual. It looks easy enough to do myself but, at $296 for 4 Kits, :unsure: They'd better be Gold Plated! :rolleyes:
Is there a Decent Aftermarket Set out there that will do the job at a lower price! I'll pay it if I have to but, Holy Crap Batman!!! :dribble:

Radiohowie told me that mcatrophy posted a nice How-To write-up a few months back for the 2006 AE with ABS but, I can't find it anywhere. I've tried my best to find it but, I can't.

Maybe someone out there can help me out with that. I would be Most Appreciative. Thanks. :clapping:
I use cheap $14 ebay pads on the rear to "soften" up the effectiveness...I'm afraid of panic stops locking up the rear tire and high siding...now, granted, I do not have ABS

Fronts...OEM's but I don't know what you mean about 4 kits...you buy them in pairs, a pair in a kit, and 2 kits for the front

BRAKE PAD KIT -> www.ronayers.com

Mfg. Part Number: 5JJ-W0045-00-00

SKU: 805749

MSRP: $36.95

Your Price: $34.36

$296 for 4 kits???

I just checked at www.ronayers.com for my 2006 and the rear brake pad set is part number 3P6-W0046-50-00 and costs $30.12

The front pad sets are part number 3P6-W0045-00-00 and cost $48.57 each. You'll need two of these.

That's a total of $127.34 and Ron Ayers isn't even the cheapest place to purchase parts

$296 for 4 kits???

I just checked at www.ronayers.com for my 2006 and the rear brake pad set is part number 3P6-W0046-50-00 and costs $30.12

The front pad sets are part number 3P6-W0045-00-00 and cost $48.57 each. You'll need two of these.

That's a total of $127.34 and Ron Ayers isn't even the cheapest place to purchase parts
Are you sure about the number of kits needed? majicmaker's profile says he has a Gen II. Check out the parts fiche.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8660

Front Brake Pads (kit)

Each front caliper requires 4 pads, so you need 8 pads total to replace all front pads.

OEM Part SKU# 3P6-W0045-00-00. This brake pad kit includes 2 pads and retails for about $70.

EBC HH sintered Part SKU# FA423/4HH. Unlike the OEM kit, EBC's kit includes 4 pads and a kit goes for about $50.

(note that many on-line sites incorrectly list SKU# FA417/4HH. This SKU WILL NOT FIT the Gen II FJR)

On my Gen-I I can change the pads in less than 10 minutes. The Gen-II has the added "complication" of having 4 pads per caliper, rather than 2, a requirement of the linked brakes system, so yes, you need 4 units of part# 3P6-W0045-00-00.

There's a long bolt that goes across the back of the caliper to retain the pads. Unscrew the bolt, spring clip pops off and the old pads slide out, the new pads slide in (after squeezing the pistons into the caliper cylinder,) replace the spring clip and the bolt.

The only thing I left out is don't lever against the rotor to retract the pistons. Some people like to remove the caliper from the fork to get better access for this, but I've never needed to. Just push each piston all the way in, put new pads in. Give both front and rear brakes (since there's a linked set) a few grabs until they firm up.

Unless for some reason you let a piston all the way out, there's no bleeding involved just for a pad change.

My experience is that aftermarket pads, if not the correct OEM knockoff, will eat the rotors, plain and simple. The pads are designed to work with the rotors. A pad that is too hard will wear the rotor, too soft will cause too much heat and will transfer that heat into the caliper and brake fluid, causing un even braking and such, You unner stand?

4 pads per rotor! Holy crap!

:eek:

Just another reason to own the superior Gen 1 models, preferably 2004 Silver! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the relies! I assumed that a "Kit" would be a set of 2 pads for one caliper but, NO! Yamaha Parts Department says a "Kit" is one Pad and I need 2 Kits per caliper.

I went to the fiche and Item#6 is 3P6-W0045-00-00. I clicked on it and it automatically inserted (2each). Then Item#17 is the same P/N (I assume that's for the other caliper) and it did the same thing.

So it's telling me that I need 4 Kits and they want $74 for each kit. I'm confused! :unsure: I think I'll go to the dealer and look at them myself. They have them in stock and I'll get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the help. I've been told by many people to go with the OEM. That's not a bad idea. I'll report back when I get home from looking at them.

Thanks for all the relies! I assumed that a "Kit" would be a set of 2 pads for one caliper but, NO! Yamaha Parts Department says a "Kit" is one Pad and I need 2 Kits per caliper.
I went to the fiche and Item#6 is 3P6-W0045-00-00. I clicked on it and it automatically inserted (2each). Then Item#17 is the same P/N (I assume that's for the other caliper) and it did the same thing.

So it's telling me that I need 4 Kits and they want $74 for each kit. I'm confused! :unsure: I think I'll go to the dealer and look at them myself. They have them in stock and I'll get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the help. I've been told by many people to go with the OEM. That's not a bad idea. I'll report back when I get home from looking at them.
If you want to stick with OEM pads, by all means this is a case where the bottom line overrides any sense of loyalty to my local dealer.

As someone else said, Ronayers.com is a place to start (not the cheapest)

BRAKE PAD KIT

SKU: 553525

Mfg. Part Number: 3P6-W0045-00-00

Your Price: $48.57

MSRP: $57.31

You Save: $8.74

Also check out partshark.com:

Enter a part number:

Parts Search Results

QUANTITY PART RETAIL YOUR PRICE

BRAKE PAD KIT (3P6-W0045-00-00) $57.31 $41.45

Zanotti Motors

Home › Catalog › Parts › Yamaha

3P6-W0045-00-00

Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:31am — admin

$41.77

SKU: YA-3P6-W0045-00-00

Price: $41.77

BRAKE PAD KIT

Babbits Online

$45.27

Etc.

The Gen-II has the added "complication" of having 4 pads per caliper, rather than 2, a requirement of the linked brakes system, so yes, you need 4 units of part# 3P6-W0045-00-00.
An added complication? No doubt.

Required due to linked braking? Ummm... not so much.

My 1998 Honda VFR800 has a bi-directional linked braking system (that works quite well actually) and it has only 2 pads per front caliper.

There are three caliper pistons in each front caliper and the middle ones are actuated by the rear brake pedal. Just because the pistons are actuated by different levers doesn't mean it require separate pads. That was just Yamaha's implementation of LBS.

Note that EBC HH Sintered Front Brake Pads (highly regarded) for FJR1300/A 06-09 Product ID: 35457 are ~$50 per kit and you only need 2 kits to do the front end of the bike. I wouldn't pay twice as much for the factory pads.

Ok Boys and Girls, I'm back from the dealer. I got to the bottom of this and I made out real well. The parts guy didn't know who he was talking to on the phone. When he recognized my face he

immediately dropped the price for the Yamaha Genuine Pads to $60.00 per kit so, I made out on the deal. Here's the deal with the "Kits". A Kit is two mini pads in one package. They are half

the size of a normal pad and there are 2 of these little pads in one Kit. so, Yeah! I needed 4 of these Kits which wound up being 8 pads. 2 pads on both sides of each caliper. I pulled the trigger on them

cause I would have had to wait until Sept. 21 for them to get delivered to the house. I will have them installed on the bike in a couple of hours. I'm a Happy Camper!!

Thanks for all the advice! Mcatrophy pm'd me with a quick install procedure. Between that and the manual, I'll be just fine! NMRoadRunner, I agree with you on the Genuine vs Aftermarket.

You can't go wrong chosing OEM, especially when it's your brakes!! :clapping:

Good deal majic. Now have a look at those every few weeks so you don't come up with an emergency need and can wait for shipping, save some coin.

Fred, I see what you mean about the linked brakes. But holy cow, adding a whole set of pistons just to do it! Now you need another set of seals for your caliper rebuild! OTOH, it balances the pad load by applying it to the center of the pad. Doing it Yammy's way, with a single pad instead of a separate pad on each piston, you'd get a very unevenly-worn pad.

Gunny others only need two kits for the front.

I bought my two OEM kits at Parker Yamaha some time back for $59 OTD. I was shocked they were that cheap. :yahoo:

DONE!! :clapping: Damn, That was easy peasy! Took no time at all! For a split second I thought of letting the dealer do it but, That would have been STUPID! :rolleyes:

I took Mcatrophy's advice and did them one at a time and worked the brakes before starting the other side. That was a Good Idea. OK, Me thinks this is a real good excuse to go for a ride now! :yahoo:

Thank You All for the Inputs. Cheers, Vic.

My experience is that aftermarket pads, if not the correct OEM knockoff, will eat the rotors, plain and simple.
Yup, especially EBC pads have tended to do this to my bikes (Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha) in the past, and score the hell out of the rotors. No more EBC for me!

Also, even though the OEM pads are more expensive, I find they also last 2x or 3x as long as EBC, Galfer, Ferodo, or other aftermarket pads. So I feel I get what I pay for, and stick with OEM nowadays.

My experience is that aftermarket pads, if not the correct OEM knockoff, will eat the rotors, plain and simple.
Yup, especially EBC pads have tended to do this to my bikes (Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha) in the past, and score the hell out of the rotors. No more EBC for me!

Also, even though the OEM pads are more expensive, I find they also last 2x or 3x as long as EBC, Galfer, Ferodo, or other aftermarket pads. So I feel I get what I pay for, and stick with OEM nowadays.
Yeah, Radiohowie told me to stay the hell away from EBC. He installed them on his rear brake and he said he got about 5K out of it! YIKE!!

As I recall, not all EBC pads have that tendency (ie to wear out the rotors prematurely).

I believe that it is the the HH compound pads that are OK for our disks.

As I recall, not all EBC pads have that tendency (ie to wear out the rotors prematurely). I believe that it is the the HH compound pads that are OK for our disks.
Their organic/Kevlar pads will be kinder to the rotors at the expense of reduced stopping power and shorter pad lifetime. I don't know whether rotor wear is really an issue or not with the HH. I haven't decided whether I'm going with the OEM pads or aftermarket when mine are due for replacement; likely some time next year. Maybe I'm not a very aggressive rider but brake pads seem to last me a long time - 30,000 miles on the original pads and there's still some meat on them.

Ross