Time to Scrub the dirt off.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDanDC

Reaction score
Whats the best way to wash the FJR without messing anything up? I was thinking about using the 'ol Bucket and suds. Is it OK to shoot the water everywhere when its cooled down? I know this sounds like a stupid question but anyone got any problems from water or is there a better way to do this....... :huh:

I've been washing and hosing it like my lawnmower for year and half now. No problem. Blinkers-blink, Horn-honks, Window-goes up,down, Paint-still on, and Motor runs.

Suds and a hose work for sure. If contemplating using a leaf blower for drying, it's okay, but stay away from the instrument cluster, as water blowing off at 100+ miles per hour can get behind the bezel.

Bucket and suds with soft cotton or microfiber cloth (use soap formulated for automotive use, not dish soap). Use linear strokes, not circular swirls. Use vertical strokes on windshield, not swirls or horizontal strokes (micro scratches will be less visible). Don't ever use pressure washer! Take off your watch and rings so you don't scratch anything. Cover the exhaust openings. Use hose without nozzle, copious low pressure rinse. Duct tape over metal end of hose or use cut-off end, again to prevent scratching. S100 or Simple Green followed by soap suds for heavy stuff, but be sure to rinse really well. Use small paint brushes to get into small spaces but be sure to cover the metal ferrules with duct tape to prevent scratching. Careful around electronics and instruments. Primum non nocere, Doc. Don't forget the cables/hoses and the undersides of things. Dry with cotton terry or microfiber cloths. Use a reversed shop vac (warning: be sure it is clean so you don't blow a ton of dirt onto the wet bike) or leaf blower if you have them to get water out of the tight spaces. Take a ride around the neighborhood.

Bucket and suds with soft cotton or microfiber cloth (use soap formulated for automotive use, not dish soap). Use linear strokes, not circular swirls. Use vertical strokes on windshield, not swirls or horizontal strokes (micro scratches will be less visible). Don't ever use pressure washer! Take off your watch and rings so you don't scratch anything. Cover the exhaust openings. Use hose without nozzle, copious low pressure rinse. Duct tape over metal end of hose or use cut-off end, again to prevent scratching. S100 or Simple Green followed by soap suds for heavy stuff, but be sure to rinse really well. Use small paint brushes to get into small spaces but be sure to cover the metal ferrules with duct tape to prevent scratching. Careful around electronics and instruments. Primum non nocere, Doc. Don't forget the cables/hoses and the undersides of things. Dry with cotton terry or microfiber cloths. Use a reversed shop vac (warning: be sure it is clean so you don't blow a ton of dirt onto the wet bike) or leaf blower if you have them to get water out of the tight spaces. Take a ride around the neighborhood.
That sounds good to me. I don't personally get that detailed but I get the bug guts off and keep everything looking clean. Just use an automotive soap instead of tide or dishwashing liquid.

I use stuff called "bike brite", get it at my local mc parts and supply house, trigger spray up into tight areas, then hose off. I tend to keep it away from windshield and paint areas even though the label says it's safe and wont hurt. Works good on wheels, breaks, engine area, etc.

S100 to cut the crud, car wash soap/suds. Dry and ride. Otherwise, pull up a lawn chair and a Bud...

461780642WVfrRK_ph.jpg

:D

I have two of those micro fiber rags that I carry with me when riding and they work great for getting the bugs off and dirt off. Just wet them with water and ring them out and you're good to go. They work great on my helmet and visor as well. The actual cleaning products I use are Plexus plastic cleaner and S100 bike cleaner.