Tip over protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lowside5-1.jpg

lowside2.jpg
Yes, I remember that picture. Was it Yosemite that the HD rider crossed over into your lane?

Idaho in 2004. Hwy 3 I think -- decending into Coer De Laine (sp)... never made the lunch venue, but my Buddies tasted some good hospital food :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone here had a true tip over or fall with no speed with sliders install. If so what damage if any occured?

Thanks, Bill
Not sliders just TOG's but this is what you can expect.. Minor rash on mirror, TOG and bar end also. :blink:

tip002.jpg
What's that little black plastic wheel...some kinda new fangled farkle?

:lol: :lol: Didn't want to show you guys that! It's my new training wheel farkle. ;)
Shoulda put one on both sides...it wouldn't have fell over! :p
I thought it might be your wheelie bar wheel...that would be awesome. :clapping:
Shaft drives cant do wheelies.

/ducks under cover
I'm sure there'll be some photos posted real soon to disprove your point, network... :glare:

Has anyone here had a true tip over or fall with no speed with sliders install. If so what damage if any occured?

Thanks, Bill

Yes, a stopped, engine off tip over onto the right side. Small scuff mark on the front, bottom corner of the bag, and a rough feeling spot on the bottom edge of the slider. No visible damage.

Guess I should provide some motivation for 'buying' sliders.

Just got my FJR, 980 miles on the clock, and had a 5-10 MPH low-side. Subdivision street, coming to an intersection, two ladies and their dogs approaching. Sun setting, swung wide to give them room, found some gravel. Slid about <10', really slow process.

Damage estimate at this point, $3,200. Purely cosmetic. Basically, right mirror & stalk, cowling, engine mount bolt, bank angle sensor, rt exhaust, saddle bag, brake lever, clutch cover (+ gasket), other misc.

Just hadn't gotten around to ordering the frame sliders yet. Oh but for an extra week or two<g>.

(Coming from an ST1100, have to say that bike spoiled me. It probably found the integrated tip over bars touch the pavement 6-8 times in 13 years. All but the last time, sitting in garage/driveway.).

PS, Happy I was wearing boots as my foot/ankle were between bike pavement for part of the trip.

FJR-Slide-wo-Slider.jpg

Forgive me if this has been answered, but why are the frame sliders different lengths, left side to right? I'd have thought the bike symmetrically built<g>. Alas, it's not here, so I can't walk out to inspect.

?

JT, I am sorry to hear about the mishap, glad you are ok though. I had GSG sliders, but last week replaced them with the MC enterprise front and rear guards. My bike only has 500 miles on the clock, but I had a great fear of something like this happening. Granted, they don't exactly "blend" with the bike, but they give me great piece of mind! I could be wrong, but I believe they will provide more adequate protection than sliders by themselves, but I guess anything is better than nothing. I only have expectations of protection on VERY slow speed drops or parking lot drops, but my guess that's when it's going to happen, especially as top heavy as our bikes are.