Tire hit some frost heaves & later went flat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPierre

Making up for lost time...
Reaction score
On my Pilot Roads I hit some rough pavement for 2-3 km and over the next 30 km the bike handling became more and more difficult. Did not look flat even when stopped but front pressure was zero! I checked for external damage, nails etc, nothing visible. Repressured with my trusty mini compressor and it inflated & held 42 lbs. Rode a few 100 km home checking pressure occasionally and it's still good a day later. I hope not to change the front tire as it only has 4-5000km on it. What do you think?

This one is an odd one....and I'd be cautious. An impact large enough for a tire to go flat, but then holds air later. Ugh.

I, by the way, and one of the school that has no problem with repairing an indentifiable puncture and riding to the end of the tire. But this one would give me serious pause. If you can't tell why it went flat (like the bead became unseated)....I'd worry a bit about the tire belts and/or the rim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please replace it. If it was a car tire you could dismount it and tell if you ran it flat to long by the wrinkles on the liner but since you only have two tires and they are holding your life in there hands just replace it. Even if you have a puncture sealant.

Morry

The air left your tire some way, via holes in the rubber, leaking Schrader valve or you popped the bead partly off the rim. Or, the tire was already low. If your tire was already very low and you hit some killer frost heaves it would make it easier for the tire to slip on the bead. You need to find out what went wrong before doing any riding, IMO.

Soap and water on the rubber, paying close attention where it meets the bead. Soap and water on the Schrader valve. Bubbles on the Schrader, use a stem tool & tighten. Bubbles in the tread area, patch if possible. Bubbles in the sidewall, trash. Bubbles along the bead :fie: .... this be The Dread mon. You may have ruptured the sidewall, may have bent the rim (check it for sure) or may have just caused the tire to slip on the bead. I can’t imagine a hit hard enough to dislodge the bead that wouldn’t have damaged the tire and/or the rim.

For all you warm climes types, in the early spring when deeply frozen ground meets the warming effect of the sun the road bed and surface buckles in a wicked bad way. I’ve had to give up my drive to work coffee because the roads are too bad to sip. Heck, most of it just hits the head liner and my lap because I can’t get the mug to hit my lips. A few weeks ago I hit a frost heave that blasted my car so hard that it snapped one of the straps that holds my gas tank in place :eek:

The air left your tire some way, via holes in the rubber, leaking Schrader valve or you popped the bead partly off the rim. Or, the tire was already low. If your tire was already very low and you hit some killer frost heaves it would make it easier for the tire to slip on the bead. You need to find out what went wrong before doing any riding, IMO.
Soap and water on the rubber, paying close attention where it meets the bead. Soap and water on the Schrader valve. Bubbles on the Schrader, use a stem tool & tighten. Bubbles in the tread area, patch if possible. Bubbles in the sidewall, trash. Bubbles along the bead :fie: .... this be The Dread mon. You may have ruptured the sidewall, may have bent the rim (check it for sure) or may have just caused the tire to slip on the bead. I can’t imagine a hit hard enough to dislodge the bead that wouldn’t have damaged the tire and/or the rim.

For all you warm climes types, in the early spring when deeply frozen ground meets the warming effect of the sun the road bed and surface buckles in a wicked bad way. I’ve had to give up my drive to work coffee because the roads are too bad to sip. Heck, most of it just hits the head liner and my lap because I can’t get the mug to hit my lips. A few weeks ago I hit a frost heave that blasted my car so hard that it snapped one of the straps that holds my gas tank in place :eek:
new front tire......120 bucks

mounting......35 bucks

not having the question mark in your head about weather or not your front tire is any good when your passing a truck at 100mph.......priceless.......

I'm assuming, Pierre, we won't be seeing a "spectacular deal" on a lightly used tire and rim combo on the vendor list! haha Man, that would immediately put a pause in my sense of "riding safely". Hope it turns out to be an easily detectable fix. And low on the $$ threshold.

C

Just monitor the tire! If it's losing air, you got a problem! Tires don't just lose some air and then don't. If you did hit a good size frost heave and lost air, your tire must have been low to begin with! If 3-4 days go by without loss, don't worry about it. Check your tires at least once a week! I try to do it everyday just so I know!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would want to know why before I signed off on it. I would REALLY want to know why! But everyone has their own threshold. Mine has gone down since my lesson

new front tire......120 bucksmounting......35 bucks

not having the question mark in your head about weather or not your front tire is any good when your passing a truck at 100mph.......priceless.......
This post kept rattling in my brain! :dribble: Dealer has some Storms @25% off so I swapped em both out and threw the Pilot Roads on the "pile of still good tires which I will eventually use someday real soon..." The old front did not have any internal damage although the bead on one side was bumpy and uneven over a couple of inches; maybe that was just the tire removal machine mark.