Tire inflation compressor , which one to get

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioFJR1300

Reaction score
I have had a few cheap plastic air compressors over the years, and they do work. I have been looking around to get a new one and found this

Cycle pump link

It sure is not cheap, but if it lasts as they say it does, I could have paid for it in the cheap ones I've bought over the years. Does anyone have one of these and can tell me about it? Is it worth the price?

Or for about 1/3 the price I can get this one

Slime air compressor

again, does anyone have this and can tell me about it?

It looks like the inflation time and amp draw is better for the Cycle Pump, and I have to believe that it is a well made unit........ but is it 3 times better? :blink:

Excellent topic:

I’m also interesting in purchasing an air pump and how about Tire Repair Kits, plugs vs. Strings? Which is best?

I have had the cycle pump for about 5 yrs. needed it 3 times have loaned it to riding buds who where going on road trips it's pretty beat up but still works I use strings when I need to repair a tire.

I carry the long silver type bicycle pump that you see attached to the frame on street bicycles. Requires no electricity and easily pumps up a motorcycle tire after fixing a flat. Weighs less than a pound. The only drawback is that it does not fit easily under the seat. I carry mine in my top case.

I bought a $10 to $25 pump from some place like Wally World. I stripped off the plastic cover to make it smaller and pack a boot lace in with then "kit". I can then hang the pump from the boot lace so it doesn't have to lay on the ground. Works fine and was a fraction of the cost of some pumps marketed to motorcyclists.

Just don't plug them into the 3amp power outlet in the 06 glovebox. They seem to draw a bit more current.

I believe Cycle Gadgets has a nice air pump, higher output than the Cambell Hausfield. I have the Wallyworld model cut out and cleaned up. Works and cheap.

I have had the cycle pump for about 5 yrs. needed it 3 times have loaned it to riding buds who where going on road trips it's pretty beat up but still works I use strings when I need to repair a tire.
Steve, do you think the Cycle Pump is worth the price? I want to buy something I know I can depend on when I need it, and the Cycle pump looks pretty good. How long does it take to fill a motorcycle tire? Their web page says 2-3 minutes, does that sound right?

Steve, do you think the Cycle Pump is worth the price? I want to buy something I know I can depend on when I need it, and the Cycle pump looks pretty good. How long does it take to fill a motorcycle tire? Their web page says 2-3 minutes, does that sound right?
I think there new model is called the Adventure it has a longer hose and 4 legs so it does'nt lay on the ground when in use my pump takes about 5 min. to inflate a tire my pump is a little beat up but still works ok a friend of mine picked up a Campbell Hausfield compressor at Lowe's on sale for 11 bucks we stripped it down so he could pack it away on his Concours and when we tested it it worked real well I don't know if I would spend that much again, time will tell on how well the CH compressor holds up.

I recently purchased THIS SLICK COMPRESSOR. Looks like I am gonna like it.

I did have a stripped down Wally-World Campfield-Neuhaus compressor which worked great, but it was stolen and I couldn't find a replacement that was as compact. Apparently their small compressors have grown in size a little bit. So I went with the above high-priced, high-zootin model. I like the case, the multi options of powering it, and its compactness.

More info in the following thread, which was current but apparently missed...........

CLICKY HERE

SkooterG,

Thanks for the info. I did see and read the thread on tire repair, and started this topic so as to not take that one off topic and try to get more specific info on small air compressors. I hate to admit it, but I placed an order for the Cycle Pump one and should have it in a few days. The one you have was my second choice ( and a lot cheaper in price). I have had several cheap compressors over the yaers and it seems they do not always work well when I need them the most, so I took the "high road" and decided to try the expensive one. I'll report back on it when I get it.

RickM

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a Cycle Pump with me on my around the world ride last year (not on an FJR), and never regretted that choice. It got a lot of use during the trip, such as using it after two flats and every morning for about ten days when I had a slow leak. My reasoning in choosing it was similar to yours - I wanted the most reliable unit I could get, one that I could absolutely depend on when in remote areas.

There is a basic difference in the design of the Cycle Pump and the inexpensive copresssors - I don't recall specifically what it is, but it may be that the CP has a piston design vs a diaphragm in the others.

You've made a good choice, IMHO. Peace of mind can be worth a lot, and a functioning compressor can be priceless in some situations.

Mike

www.rtwrider.net

I took a Cycle Pump with me on my around the world ride last year (not on an FJR), and never regretted that choice. It got a lot of use during the trip, such as using it after two flats and every morning for about ten days when I had a slow leak. My reasoning in choosing it was similar to yours - I wanted the most reliable unit I could get, one that I could absolutely depend on when in remote areas.
There is a basic difference in the design of the Cycle Pump and the inexpensive copresssors - I don't recall specifically what it is, but it may be that the CP has a piston design vs a diaphragm in the others.

You've made a good choice, IMHO. Peace of mind can be worth a lot, and a functioning compressor can be priceless in some situations.

Mike

www.rtwrider.net
Good to see someone that had experience with this pump. I ordered one last week for my trip to eom.

Last edited by a moderator: