Tire Lube?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAJW

Reaction score
Today, while re-installing my new PR2's, after dutifully lubing the rear splines on the pumpkin and drive shaft, with great refresher notes from FJRTech (thanks Dale!) I noticed something amiss. While seated on the garage floor and guiding the rear tire into the tight fit between the right hand swing arm, the rear fender/reflector and the brake caliper, I almost didn't notice that I had bumped the freshly greased pumpkin spline with the front edge of the tire. The smudge of Honda Moly 60 lube was mainly on the sidewall, but just a tad bit of grease ended up on the "chicken strip" area and was VERY hard to see on the shiny new tire. :eek: I don't believe I've ever made that error before, but glad I caught it as I live in a twisty road area and would be leaning over there very soon doing my tire scrub in routine. I know there can't be disclaimers everywhere and the very good write-ups I've seen say to double check torques, etc.. twice, but don't forget to give your tires the white glove once over after the install to make sure it's clean. Now, must go out to scrub in the new skins! :yahoo:

I don't think it really would have presented a problem. No part of the tire is actually on the ground long enough to cause it to slide. The problem is when a large enough area of pavement is covered with oil or grease, so you get a significant continuous lack of grip, a good three tenths of a second at least. The .04 seconds that it would take that smudge to clear the ground would not throw you off the bike.

If something's broken on a bike and pumping a continuous stream of oil onto the tire, well then you'd have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: