Tire pressure monitor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as you already own it, as they've been discontinued. I haven't been able to get replacement sensors, and the tire guys are hell on them.
I was able to score a replacement receiver from Vulcan Tire Sales a few weeks ago... have you tried contacting them Toe? Website says they're in stock for $42 each... I might even pick some up now that I think about it... for the future date when mine stop sending.

Replacement Sensors
They don't list them as a stock item anymore.
Not as a complete system, but if you follow the link, you can buy some of the individual parts (receiver and sensors)... until they run out of stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the response to my inquiry about whether the Automobile replacement sensors would work with my bike receiver:

Robert,Thank you for your order. We understand you called in requesting information on the sensors you ordered working with your motorcycle. The passenger car sensors are compatible with the motorcycle receiver. However, they may or may not be compatible with your motorcycle wheels. The passenger car sensors can only be mounted on a flat surface so if the drop-center of your wheel is concave or curved, this will not work for you.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you,

Vulcan Tire Support Staff

https://www.vulcantire.com
So, I'm Guinea Piggin', but confident....

I'll be interested to know how this turns out. I just had to purchase a whole new Smartire setup because one of my sensors failed. At least I'll have a spare sensor and a spare receiver.

I'll be interested to know how this turns out. I just had to purchase a whole new Smartire setup because one of my sensors failed. At least I'll have a spare sensor and a spare receiver.
Really? Wherever did you find a whole new Smartire system still for sale?

Got the replacement sending units. They are physically identical to my originals. I hope to get it mounted up today and see how it works. More to follow....

How long to the sensor batteries last on the Doran system? 50$ a sensor is pretty spendy to be replacing them more than once every couple years..
Sure, I'll do your research. Literature says 3 to 4 years. Mine have been in place for at least a year and a half.
You're totally right. I should have read the entire PDF owners manual to find out what the manufacturers expect battery life to be rather than ask actual product owners a single question about real world expeirence. Thanks for contributing to an open internet forum discussion.
Actually, I did not remember the manufacturers expected battery life, so I went to Doran's site and looked it up so that I could be of help to you, as I really think the system is worthwhile. As a caveat to expected battery life, my rear sensor has given me a low pressure alert a couple of times in the last month or so, when in fact there was no problem. When it happens, I get off the highway, unscrew the sensor and screw it back on, and it seems to reset itself. This is a recent development, so I am wondering if the sensor battery is starting to fail. I intend to contact Doran about it to see what they say. When I find out, I will add to this thread.
As a followup to the problem I mentioned above, I emailed Doran about it, they replied with a Return Authorization number so that I could get it replaced, for free, under warranty. Then, before I even had a chance to send in the sensor for replacement, they sent me a new one. Now that is good customer service. How many other companies would replace any electronic gadget after it has been used for a year and a half?

OK, I bought one of these Tiregard systems, and as I'm installing it, I notice the sensors weigh 10 grams.

Is this a significant weight to a motorcycle tire? Should I be putting 10 grams on the opposite side of the wheel, or is it too small of a weight difference to matter?

The user guide doesn't mention anything about needing to rebalance or add weight.

Got the replacement sending units. They are physically identical to my originals. I hope to get it mounted up today and see how it works. More to follow....
Any update Toe?
Not in yet, but I'm confident it will work, and I'll post as soon as it's in.

OK, I bought one of these Tiregard systems, and as I'm installing it, I notice the sensors weigh 10 grams.Is this a significant weight to a motorcycle tire? Should I be putting 10 grams on the opposite side of the wheel, or is it too small of a weight difference to matter?
I plan to find the light spot on the bare wheel, and put the sensor there, but yeah, the wheel will most likely require more weight to balance it. I hope to get away with a couple ounces of DynaBeads.

OK, I bought one of these Tiregard systems, and as I'm installing it, I notice the sensors weigh 10 grams.Is this a significant weight to a motorcycle tire? Should I be putting 10 grams on the opposite side of the wheel, or is it too small of a weight difference to matter?

The user guide doesn't mention anything about needing to rebalance or add weight.
I have mine on and went a buck thirty today and everything felt good. However, I do not know if there is a concern for balancing at 130 mph in a straight line so will leave that up to the experts.

My problem has been either the sensors do not turn on all the time or the receiver does not pick them up all the time. I emailed Big Bike Parts and within an hour they called me. They offered to replace immediately but I offered to try a battery change first. This seems like extraordinary customer service to me. I will keep you all informed as I get this resolved.

Well I've just installed a full time TPMS from Ebay uk.

item no 180430891571

Here it is

It takes 20mA standby current, good for 500+ hrs from the bike battery. I'd recommend using a battery tender when not using bike.

The sensors are the same type as seen on other kits, just screw them on top of the valve. It is permanently wired and gives pressures whether riding or not.

For the price it was worth a punt.

Andy

The only problem with that type of pressure monitor is that, since the valve cap must depress the schrader valve core to sense the pressure inside the tire, if the valve cap happens to leak air you'll get a low pressure situation that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Why couldn't you put the monitor on a switched 12V supply so it doesn't run down the battery?

The only problem with that type of pressure monitor is that, since the valve cap must depress the schrader valve core to sense the pressure inside the tire, if the valve cap happens to leak air you'll get a low pressure situation that you wouldn't have had otherwise.
Why couldn't you put the monitor on a switched 12V supply so it doesn't run down the battery?

I realise that there is a chance of pressure leak through the valve, but that would be brought to my attention by the monitor.

I could run it through a switched supply, however it takes up to 6 minutes to initialise. The bonus of constant power is I can see straight away the pressures, even whilst in storage. I tend to keep my bike on my Optimate when I dont ride it.

Andy

I could run it through a switched supply, however it takes up to 6 minutes to initialise. The bonus of constant power is I can see straight away the pressures, even whilst in storage. I tend to keep my bike on my Optimate when I dont ride it.
This looks like my Doran monitor - I wired mine to be hot all the time, with a switch. That way if I'm preparing for a big trip of whatever, I can kick on the monitor without having to leave the whole bike on for up to six minutes (as in with a system switched hot) and make sure I don't need to air up before I go. If I'm just going on a short hop, I can ride without it or turn it on after I've started the bike so it doesn't put any extra load on the battery while I'm starting up. (Yes, I know the draw is small, but I have a LOT of electrical farkles.) The hubby has only one other electrical farkle, so we wired his to a system switched hot just for easy of use.

What about on long trips away from a power outlet?

What about on long trips away from a power outlet?
With a 20mA drain, that's good enough for 500+ hrs before the battery would suffer. So an overnight stay on a long trip wouldn't bother the battery. :p

I agree. 20ma is a pretty minimal drain. It's right in the gray area where one could consider leaving the item on all the time.

Having it on a switch might be the best answer. You could leave it on all the time in your normal daily routine and have the option of killing the battery drain if you were to ride somewhere and need to leave the bike for a few days uncharged.

Any update Toe?
Not in yet, but I'm confident it will work, and I'll post as soon as it's in.
Your confidence is well placed, Toe. I ordered three of them. One for to replace my rear tire sensor that is giving erratic readings, and a pair for later. They work just fine! Thanks for the tip!