tire price quote....fair?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1183

Reaction score
I called a local dealer....got 8500 miles on my Metzlers....need replacing soon. Gonna try BT020s.

Quoted $115.16 for the front and $147.96 for the back plus $100 to install if I drop the bike there.

Does this seem fair for tire prices...or am I getting ripped?

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion?

$363 for two tires is ridiculous. It's prices like those that I payed once, that led me to learn how to start changing my own tires. But there are lots of variables going on, so maybe that's an ok price for you.

A *FAIR* price is very subjective depending on the area you live, and how much effort you are willing to put into finding a better price, or taking on some of the work yourself.

There are several tire threads active today about ordering tires online, have you seen those?

And I know this is *highly* subjective, but the Bridgestones are almost the last choice of tire I would put on.

Moving this thread to its proper home in Parts and Accessories...........

Quoted $115.16 for the front and $147.96 for the back plus $100 to install if I drop the bike there
That's pretty much what you'd pay a dealer in my area. If you can't (or don't want to) take your you're wheels off you're going to have to pay a lot more to tires them mounted. A dealer's usually the only one who will sell you tires and take your wheels off and on your bike.

Lots of tire threads lately, must be summer.

I'm paying about $225, OTD for tires. Install and balance is free if I drop of the rims. Takes an hour which I spend dropping more coin at the parts counter or nearby farkle center...

$100 if you drop the bike? Is that with them doing the disassembly, mount & balance, and reassembly? That is not bad really, but only worth if you can't or don't have time to do it yourself. Around here, $30 each for mount and balance - with ME doing the disassembly and dropping only rims.

Sux bigtime

That's an Okay price for a full turnkey deal where they take the wheels off. I'd guess $400-$450 is the overall average for the full-meal deal like this.

People like to scream how outrageous this is compared to the $220 price they just paid for this pair of tires over the internet. But these people have never run a motorcycle repair business that had to hire people, pay liability insurance, rent a facility, pay the power bill, etc.

- Mark

I support my local Honda dealer (no local Yam dealer) who is only too happy to mount the tires bought for a reasonable price from SW moto. The dealer will mount the tires on the bike while i wait for around 100 bucks (front and rear)

Taking off the tires, running them to the dealer then either waiting for an hour or more or coming back to pick them up, then putting them back on ain't worth the $75 my shop charges me when I buy the tires from them. Plus he orders the tires and they are cheaper than getting them sent from online purchase. He mounts and balances for free when I buy from him. Avons with mounting and balance plus him taking them on and off the bike, $285.

Taking off the tires, running them to the dealer then either waiting for an hour or more or coming back to pick them up, then putting them back on ain't worth the $75 my shop charges me when I buy the tires from them. Plus he orders the tires and they are cheaper than getting them sent from online purchase. He mounts and balances for free when I buy from him. Avons with mounting and balance plus him taking them on and off the bike, $285.
You're lucky. I really, really like my dealer, but tires for my Thunderbird were ~$225 from SW moto, and from his shop were ~$285, and (this is where you're lucky) he charged $35 per tire for mounting and balancing. A buddy of mine knows a local independent mechanic who charges (I think) $20 per tire, which is as good as I've seen anywhere. Generally I've paid $35 to $45 per tire for mounting and balancing, which seems pretty standard.

Well it appears based on most replies on all the threads I have has the pleasure of reading that unless you know the dealer/shop that your price is average. :(

I think I would like to start doing this myself. Hopefully, I get to this time and just take it to a local shop 30 each mount and install, did not buy from them, they were better than dealer, but still about 60.. over and still would have had to add tax. :angry2:

I did want to help them out, however the difference almost pays for the mount/balance. :rolle

If I wanted to purchase a weekender use tire change set up where and how much would it cost???

yes:

My local shop gets (I think) $60 per wheel if they have to remove them from the bike, so your price seems reasonable. The prices of those tires don't seem bad...but I'd look at other tires (not 'Stones).

Try Dennis Kirk ,they have a free mount while you wait if you buy from them,if you are willing to remove the tires yourself, I'm not sure about the tire prices. You are close enough

$60 to change tyres and service the spline ,, $14 for 90% valve stems ,, $40 for K&N air filter ,, $180 for my Diablo Strada's

Just Say No ,, to Dealer charges ,,

someone in your area will do it for cheeper !!!