Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went from Road Smarts to Angels. Wow. It turns like a sportbike now. Much better for canyon carving here in Colorado. Running 42, 39 pressure.
New tires ALWAYS feel great. So was it the brand of tire? Or the bact that you went from a ratty worn out front tire, to a new one?

I like the Shinko Ravens. I just recently put one of the newer 011 Shinko Verge on the front and really like the way it feels on the front of the bike.
Good luck. Though I have never run them, a close friend who ran them did not experience the best results over the life of the tire.

firestone_tire_ad.jpg

I just went from Road Smarts to Angels. Wow. It turns like a sportbike now. Much better for canyon carving here in Colorado. Running 42, 39 pressure.
New tires ALWAYS feel great. So was it the brand of tire? Or the bact that you went from a ratty worn out front tire, to a new one?

I like the Shinko Ravens. I just recently put one of the newer 011 Shinko Verge on the front and really like the way it feels on the front of the bike.
Good luck. Though I have never run them, a close friend who ran them did not experience the best results over the life of the tire.
I've ran them for years. First on a 1200 Bandit, then a SV650, then a BMW R1150R and now my FJR. The one on the rear of my FJR has 6300 miles on it now by my maint. records. I've always used the 009 Ravens. This is the first time I'm using the 011 Verge (on the front only right now).

Most of the negative stuff I've ran into over the years has 8 times outta 10 been from folks how have never ran them. The other 2 times is usually guys who ride at a very quick pace.

I ride semi-aggressively but I'm no Ricky Racer on the back roads lol. :) I actually feel more confident on these than I did on my Pilot Road 2s but that's me everyone is gonna ride and feel differently. I think for me it has to do with how quickly they turn in. The Ravens have a flatter profile and turn in takes more effort than the PR2s which I like. They are neutral when leaned over for me and I don't feel like I'm adding effort one direction or the other to maintain my line.

Second set of Avon Storms...great handling tire. Got about 6k from the last set, so wear could be better. Running 40/42 psi.

Just to add my 2¢, I've gotten almost 25,000 miles out of two Michelin PR2 fronts on my FJR. I like the PR2s so much, I just put a set on my ZRX. GREAT combinations of mileage and handling.

Buy a set of Shinkos and be happy with em. Bike I bought has a set on it that's got 5000 miles and they still look and handle good.
I have ordered 3 sets of Ravens for 2 different FJR's. The first set was a test before we headed out west last year. Put about 5K on them and mounted a new set for our trip. At 5K they had plenty of tread left. These replaced Bridgestones from the purchase. One very noticeable effect was the Shinkos turned much easier into the corners and kept their line less effortly, thus I had alot more confidence with them over the Stones. The new FJR has a Stone on the rear and a Dunlop on the front (purchase the bike used). I can't wait until I either mount a new set of Shinks or use the backup set I have with the 5K on them. We are headed west again this year to finish what we started last year.

I am not a racer, but not a slouch either. I give the Shinko Ravens a +1

Willie

I have 15,000 km (9 - 10,000 American) on PR2's - not on wear bars yet, still happy with them. I have another set in the garage waiting to go on.

All tires have 'wear bars' that are an indication of minimum tread depth. Many of us go a bit past those anyway depending on the tire. Most tires (if not all) will have some kind of 'indicator' on the sidewall of the tire in several places to show you where to look for the wear bars in the tread.

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Personnally, I gage myself on the first signs of metal .... :)

Read this! Pretty good review

https://www.motorcycle-usa.com/402/6841/Motorcycle-Article/Bridgestone-BT-023-Tire-Review.aspx

This is a tough question to answer because:

1. Your roads are different from my roads

2. Your riding style is different than mine

3. Your suspension is different than mine

4. Your wallet is different than mine

5. Your weather is different from mine

6. Your skill level is different from mine

7. Your tire demands are different from mine

8. What works on one bike may not work on another

That being said:

- *I* avoid Avon Storm fronts after throwing away three with about 3000 miles on them (the fourth was OK for 8k).

- *I* avoid Avon Storm rears since I only get 6k out of them.

- *I* didn't like the dunlop roadsmart, it felt numb.

- *I* find the PR front slides too easy and initial wear is disappointing (will give to my broke brother).

- *I* found the Shinko Raven rear on my brother's VFR to be greasy at 8/10th's pace and is used up at 3000 miles.

- *I* love the Strada's and Angel's on the VFR

- *I* hate the Angel on the SV650 in the rain.

- *I* think the best tire I have tried on the FJR is the PR2. Grippy in all conditions, great road feel, never mounted a bad one,

- *I* am willing to try the PR3 next, based on IBR results.

So that's what *I* think.