To FJR or not

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the same boat. I've been riding a RS Warrior for about 2.5 years now and feel like it's time to go back to a sport touring bike. I've looked at the ST and even the Busa, but I think the FJR would be the ideal bike for my needs. It's all the internet tick lore that has me hesitating. I don't know if I want to go for a new 06. A good used 04 or 05 FJR is probably more realistic for financial reasons.

I guess I need to try to find one to ride somewhere. I think getting on one will tell me quick as to whether the FJR is something that I need to hunt down or keep looking for something else. I appreciate all the great info out here available to us noob fjr shoppers.

Thanks,

Dave

For all those that are afraid of getting a FJR because of ticking must have a reason to motivate them not to get.

I ask myself this question, do they own a timex watch? Aas you know it takes a licking and keeps on ticking....... Could this be the under lying reason as not to buy??????

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Hello everyone. I just signed in a cruised around a bit. You seem like a smart easy going bunch so here's the $1,000,000 question: I don't have one, and all this talk of ticking and noisey heads scares me. Should I even bother?
Just do it. My 05 is fine. Very reliable, fast enough to get it done and a cool looking bike. I am buying another just as soon as it comes in!

Howdy Chris,

Same Rentaroo from the ZRX board. You're welcome to take my '05 FJR for a cruise the next time I'm able to make one of MikeP51's Rock Store rides. I let Randy take it for a spin a few weeks ago when he was visiting, he seemed to like it.

Take care.....and good luck with the new house.

Are there any performance differences between the CA and 49 state models?
Only as a result of the Gasohol we are forced to use, not because of any internal or bolt-on changes.

Buy it, you'll like it. IF it ticks, get it fixed by Yamaha and sell it if you don't trust it.

'06 ticking fix is in place with the much shorter exhaust valve rods. Or whatever they are called. Get the '06 FJR and get all our pleasure with no ticking. I don't have ticking at 11,575 miles

For what its worth, I have 77000 miles on my 03 FJR- no ticking and no problems
77,000 MILES!!!! That must be the freaking record!!!!!! Anybody know of an FJR with more miles on the ODOM than silverbullets ?

I guess not. Silverbullet, I'd bet yours bike is the current HIGH MILAGE RECORD HOLDER!!!

Let's hear from you IRON BUTTS!!!

OrangevaleFJR Posted on Jan 22 2006, 08:18 PM'06 ticking fix is in place with the much shorter exhaust valve rods. Or whatever they are called. Get the '06 FJR and get all our pleasure with no ticking. I don't have ticking at 11,575 miles
Well…let’s hope your right Orangevale. The verdict is still out. Remember, Yamaha first tried different valves which didn’t work and then tried different guides which also apparently did not arrest the problem either. Now they have “loosened” the seals for more lubrication to the guides. We really don’t know for sure until the ‘06 pilots accumulate some serious mileage.

Chrisweir.com Posted:  Jan 21 2006, 12:15 PM Hello everyone. I just signed in a cruised around a bit. You seem like a smart easy going bunch so here's the $1,000,000 question: I don't have one, and all this talk of ticking and noisey heads scares me. Should I even bother?
Chris, if you really want a "bulletproof" bike and the ticking does worry you then take a close look at a Busa ‘03 and up or any year XX. They make great sport tourers. If the FJR trips your trigger than get the X-warranty and enjoy. Great bike out-of-the-box. Also check at Micapeak for info regarding the FJR. There is a gentleman who claims 107,000 miles on his '03 FJR. Cheers.

Hi, Chris,

I, too, know you from the ZRXOA. I couldn't afford to keep my '02 ZRX 1200 (purchased after totaling my '01 ZRX) and also buy the '05 FJR, so I reluctantly sold it. My ZRX was rigged with GIVI hard bags and I used it as a sport tourer. It wasn't bad, but I really needed a SPORT TOURER. Thus, the FJR.

I've taken several 2-3000 mile trips on the FJR, and have been thoroughly pleased. I also commuted on it until I picked up a KLR 650. My commute is only 6 miles each way, and the FJR would barely warm up in that distance. In fact, I probably should ride a pedal bike to work.

On weekends, I take the FJR into the Colorado Rocky Mountains for some twisty fun, usually 150 -300 miles. The FJR probably won't take the ZRX from 0-50 mph, but I can take the curves faster on the FJR.

I miss the ZRX, but I have a new love that gives me all that I need.

Ron

'06 ticking fix is in place with the much shorter exhaust valve rods. Or whatever they are called. Get the '06 FJR and get all our pleasure with no ticking. I don't have ticking at 11,575 miles
Just a little more info filters down about the new FJR every day. How did you find out about the valve stem changes. Is there a web site with the info?

Howdy Chris,
Same Rentaroo from the ZRX board.  You're welcome to take my '05 FJR for a cruise the next time I'm able to make one of MikeP51's Rock Store rides.  I let Randy take it for a spin a few weeks ago when he was visiting, he seemed to like it.

Take care.....and good luck with the new house.
Thanks for the kind offer; my new leathers will be ready soon so I'll be riding more and will have to take you up on your kind test ride offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone.  I just signed in a cruised around a bit.  You seem like a smart easy going bunch so here's the $1,000,000 question:  I don't have one, and all this talk of ticking and noisey heads scares me.  Should I even bother?
The valve guide issue scared me too. I read everything I could lay me hands on to help understand the problem. From what I can tell the most amazing and detailed documentation was compiled by Warchild and other members on this board. If you haven't already - I recommend you dig this info up. At least then you can go into FJR ownership with your eyes open. It's quite a testiment to the bike to see so many owners stick behind it in spite of this problem.

I'm of the group that says, "If it happens then get it fixed". Later you can decide to sell it or keep it. In the mean time I'm not worrying about it.

Bobby

06 FJR A (78 days and counting) :dribble:

Besides...

Loud valves save lives. :D

Yea I didn't coin that phrase but I laugh my ass off everytime I hear it.

-r

I'm of the group that says, "If it happens then get it fixed".  Later you can decide to sell it or keep it.  In the mean time I'm not worrying about it.
I am also part of that group. A year ago I was obsessed with the tick and now I don't even worry about it. Why? Because it is not a safety issue and you are not going to break down because of the tick. If it starts ticking you don't have to cancel your vacation or make any changes in your riding plans -- just ride it, wear earplugs if the noise bothers you, and get it fixed after the riding season is over or whenever it is convenient for you.

I'm of the group that says, "If it happens then get it fixed".  Later you can decide to sell it or keep it.  In the mean time I'm not worrying about it.
I am also part of that group. A year ago I was obsessed with the tick and now I don't even worry about it. Why? Because it is not a safety issue and you are not going to break down because of the tick. If it starts ticking you don't have to cancel your vacation or make any changes in your riding plans -- just ride it, wear earplugs if the noise bothers you, and get it fixed after the riding season is over or whenever it is convenient for you.
Can't beat that advice! 15,000 + no tick.

I've been riding a RS Warrior for about 2.5 years now and feel like it's time to go back to a sport touring bike. I've looked at the ST and even the Busa, but I think the FJR would be the ideal bike for my needs.
Your thought process is the same as DH's. He rides, and loves his Warrior but it's not the best for long distances, or for commuting. When $$ permit, he is going to add a Hayabusa but in the meantime, he's contented his need-for-speed by borrowing MY FJR.

Jill