To Flip, or not to Flip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteflyer

Reaction score
I have a question about the Cee Baily windshields that have the smal flip at the top of the screen. Do they really create a "bubble" as advertised?

Being rather long waisted, I need a taller windsheild than the stock windshield and am wondering if the flip at the top of the Cee Baily windshield helps. Any of you guys running these flip shields? Opinions, pros, cons or complaints? Thanks!

-Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one. The flip causes the air to hit you a little higher when the shield is fully down. I also had a similar sized Rifle (w/o the flip) on the bike for awhile, and truthfully, there was VERY little difference between the two +4 length... windshields once out on the slab with the windshield up a bit.

Gary

My stock shield was horrible for buffeting when raised up. I added spacers to tip the shield back and it helped a very small amount, but still unacceptable buffeting. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam.

I bought a Vstream for winter use and it works great for that purpose. Greatly reduced buffeting and good wind/rain protection for the cold and wet we experience here in the Seattle area. It's a barn door size and doesn't look as good as the stock shield, but works soooo much better. The problem arises in the summer when there's too much protection against wind that could potentially cool me off. We actually do get some sunshine and warmth around here. ;)

So I got a Cee Bailey that's stock width and only 2" taller with the flip. I really like that shield for summer use because I get more air along my arms/sides, yet can still get my helmet out of the wind. In order to get my head out of the wind, I raise the shield less that what's required with the Vstream that's about 2 inches taller. My estimation is that the flip adds an effective 2" to shield height without actually adding any height.

If I had to get only one shield, it would probably be a +2 +2 Cee Bailey with flip. But it's nicer to have choices for different seasons.

I have two CB shields. Use a +2/+2 flip for summer and a +4/+3 flip (barn door) for winter. Both work for *me* and the wet conditions in the PNWet. If summer were longer than 6 weeks, I could probably live with just the 2/2, but in the wet / cold it doesn't cut it.

I'm tempted to try a *Craver Cut* Rifle after riding a buddies bike with one. Maybe Santa will deliver this year...

--G

... Do they really create a "bubble" as advertised?

Yes... and they don't get too many bugs or rain since the airflow blows them up and over.

I have the +4"(height) +2" (width) and it has been wonderful for many years.

Here is how it performed during some HEAVY Rain on a trip:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=24775&view=findpost&p=290297
Ditto. I have the same shield. I like the fact that you can set the height to get your helmet out of the air stream but are still able to look over it instead of through it. Works great as a "rain" shield too as your eval. points out. I'm amazed as to how dry I stay on this bike in wet conditions. I find it too much shield for hot weather though. For that I change over to a 15" CeeB shorty. I'm 5'10", seat set to high position.

An alternative to the flip is the Laminar Lip. Does much the same thing, but with a smoother air-stream coming off of it. It's removable when you don't want it.

An alternative to the flip is the Laminar Lip. Does much the same thing, but with a smoother air-stream coming off of it. It's removable when you don't want it.
I use the GIVI D134ST which has a flip on my 05, excellent windshield rain or shine. There is a model for 06 to 12 as well.

Givi

My bike came with the OEM "touring" screen. It was too low for me at any height (I'm 6 foot) and it was noisy and turbulent for me at any height. I installed a CB +4 tall +2 wide with flip and light smoke. It's perfect full down around town and on the highway I bump it up about an inch for pure quiet. I'm pleased. I had one on my ST1300 and liked it on that bike too.

I'm tempted to try a *Craver Cut* Rifle after riding a buddies bike with one. Maybe Santa will deliver this year...
Whazzat? I googled and came up empty.
Fred -- PM DCarver and get the skinny. Rumor is he has a factory cut Rifle with different dimensions...I was impressed with the air (down) and protection (up) it provided.

--G

Whazzat? I googled and came up empty.
Fred -- PM DCarver and get the skinny. Rumor is he has a factory cut Rifle with different dimensions...I was impressed with the air (down) and protection (up) it provided.

--G
Aha!! It is a "Carver" cut. It was the "Craver" in the above post that threw me off.

I'll check with DC on his shield, but since you guys have G2 's we are talking apples and oranges with the aerodynamics. ;)

For the last year I had the shield that came with the bike, a Cee-Bailey +4/+2 reverse contour. Being a short-ass, it was way too tall for me so I had to leave it in the full-down position.

Laminar recommended adding a Lip for a Bergman scooter, which I did and it worked well. I had planned to cut the screen down this winter, but decided I would just screw it up - so I sold it to Odot.

Cee-Bailey were very helpful and, as I plan to keep the 'lip', offered to make me a stock height +2 wide. I think I'll go that route.

cb3.jpg

Al.