to the dogs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear your story, but thanks for sharing.

It's nice to see I am not the only one who feels so much for my best friend.

Nice joke in todays paper, always some good humor from a dogs point of view.

poc060605.gif

We got what's left of her back yesterday evening. She's in a sealed little wooden box, she rests on the mantel now instead of the floor. The box has a place on the front for a picture. So, she's back home now, and in some way it's comforting. That 15 year chapter in our book of life has come to a end.

I still want to know what she was staring at----what it was she saw--that we couldn't those last few days?

As some of you know, I have the luxury of working with my dog every single day. I spend 24 hours a day with him. I seem him more than I do my family. He is my friend, my partner, and my confidante.

There is nothing that I can say to ease the pain of anyone's loss, except to say that I understand .......

"IF IT SHOULD BE"If it should be that I grow weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand,

Don't let your grief then stay your hand,

For this day more than all the rest,

Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,

What is to come can hold no fears,

You'd not want me to suffer so,

The time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,

And please stay with me until the end,

I know in time that you will see,

The kindness that you did for me,

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve, it must be you

Who had this painful thing to do,

We've been so close, we two, these years,

Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

Man DB... that's rough. It sounds like Taz enjoyed a spoiled life. Being your only "child", that'll be hard to get over. I hope my dog goes that way. It would be very hard to have to carry out what Ock describes above. We've known our vet a long time, I would probably ask him to come over to administer the injection.

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be my final post on this subject:

6/7/06

Thanx for taking the time to read about Taz, it's been therapy for me. I could go on and on about all the old fun young time and years, but I have to find a way to put a end to all this. She is back now and instead of resting on the cool linoleum floor she now rests on our mantel. There she will be close to the fire and warm in winter, and she is closer to the ceiling fan now so she will stay cool in the summer. The house is empty now, just me and wifey. The past couple years due to her enlarged heart Taz panted. We had gotten use to it, sorta like the hum of a ceiling fan, you know it's there but you just don't pay any attention to it anymore, until it stops, then you notice.

My neighbor has several dogs and I called him and he came over last night. His dogs are of all ages and I thought maybe they could use some of Taz's stuff. He got about 3/4 stock bottle supply of Rimadyl, several of her old toys and raw hide chew bones (she had not had those in several years--but they were never opened--I do not know why we still had them), he took what was left of her Nutro Senior food and her bed. I'm keeping a couple little mementos, her stainless water and food bowls and the little blue rubber matt we kept under her bowls, it has a Tasmanian Devil cartoon character print on it. I hope sometime in the future those will come back to use, but rest assured it will be a long time. I'm not convinced as yet I want to ever get attached to another pet like that ever again. If I change my mind, then I will have Taz's bowls to use.

Welp, the fish lost his battle and in the end slipped away, to live on, Taz lost her ultimate battle and in the end slipped away to find that much deserved rest, both at the same time. As selfish as I am to have wanted that fish and to have Taz still here, I know they are both where they rightfully belong. Two hard fought battles going on at the same time, with totally different endings. If I had my way the battle results would have been opposite, the fish in the boat and to come home to my buddy Taz and her wagging tail, what I would give to just pet that precious head and rub those ears just one more time, I'd give her all the treats she could hold. If I had only known she was going to die, I'd never made that trip. I guess it's about time for me to lay this down and move on. Writing about this experience these past few days has seemed to have helped, but I need to try to start getting beyond that stage now. Thanx for listening.

That's part of why were here...comrades in arms....so to speak....good luck moving forward donaldb....Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.

He remembered dying, and his dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."

The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.

As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the man. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.

"There should be a bowl by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.

The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is Heaven," he answered.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was Heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind."

Pretty good, Mark Twain wrote a short story very close, in that one the dog wasn't allowed into hell because he would smell the fire & brimstone going through the gate and save his master.

When I clicked on the topic, I didn't expect to read what I read. With that said, as someone who has lost a pet, I can understand what many have written. I now have three dogs, one of which is 13 years old. Everytime I open the back door and she doesn't come in right away, I worry that I'm going to have to go into the yard and pick her up. So far it's just her hearing and she still shows up at the door eventually.

donaldb-thanks, I had been looking for that story.

We have a Sheltie who presently has bladder cancer.

We are trying to keep her around as long as we can,

but we too are trying not to be selfish and keep her

from suffering. Our hearts go out to all who have

lost a "loved one".

thanks to you all. i guess we share more than motorcycles.

we have always shared our home and life with friends. we lost marley, our husky with the personality of woody allen, or maybe richard lewis, a coupla years ago. it was very hard. oscar, our lab-mutt, the dog-of-love who we sometimes call "the barry white dog", cuz (lower your voice) he just wants to feel the love, baby, is 12 and pretty arthritic. tooley, the border collie rescue dog with the hummingbird metabolism and the eyes of a devoted and understanding believer, is only 5. ro-dog, the orange tabby, does not KNOW he is a cat. he sleeps with the dogs and goes on walks with us when he is not out terrorizing rodents and snakes....

i lost my dad last year. at 86 he was still gardening and splitting firewood and hauling crab pots. in june he got a little confused, and we discovered the brain cancer. in september i gave him his last shave and dressed him in his favorite work coveralls. lost my dad, my hero, and the truest friend i will ever know in the same morning.

don't forget to give your dad (or your mom or your sis or your son or your ugly brother, or whoever) that last "scratch behind the ears" long before they are gone, too. our dogs are SO much easier to love, because they are so bloody willing to believe we are as good and right and noble as we wish we were. but sometimes the "tough to love" old dogs can be the best, in the long run. even the human ones...

i wonder if riding motorcycles somehow links us to a species that just prefers to ride with their head out the window? or maybe it just adds evidence for the link that was already there. i'm pretty sure i get the same kind of pleasure from powering out of a curve on a scenic winding road that tooley appears to experience as she bursts from a trembling "sit" to a full-out sprint and explosive lift-off for a frisbee...

peace to you, and brotherly/sisterly love,

shu

Latest posts