Today I left the BMW club and joined the FJR Club....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats!!!!

I use a givi tailbox (fits two helmets dont know what size as it came with the bike) has a backrest for when the missus is riding, but comes off when its just me, monopad mounting or something.

With it on, its stable solo to 95 but I usually just take it off.

Did you get the YES warranty? if no check with the guys here, as I understand it you can buy it from any dealer and it is honored by all yamaha dealers, price is a function of the particualar dealers markup.

Your gonna like I bunches. Happy Easter

I also came over from the BMW fold. I had an R1150RT and most recently a K1200 RS. I installed the powerlet by the left rear foot peg, hooked directly to the battery so I could use the battery tender and my heated vest. I installed a MCruise Control, it's a plug in installation, electronic/vacuum servo unit, it works great. I also installed the Yamaha heated grips. Those are my "BMW conversions".

I love my FJR.

Ron

4. I will eventually need to get a top case with back rest. I can research that here. My wife liked the feel of the Yamaha one, but unless I can find one at a discount, don't really want to spend that much money.
Check out these guys for good looking luggage at reasonable prices:

https://www.mutazu.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Dean,

I'm new here as well and also migrated from a BMW. Very happy with my choice and the help from the forum here has been great.

As far as mods I installed a dual heat-troller in the location where the factory heated grips controller usually goes. I have the factory top case and passenger backrest and its appreciated by my spouse. I think it looks good with the bike too.

As for service I'm elated with my local dealer. Miles above my BMW dealership......... :angry:

Paul

And I am stoked! Wrote a thread yesterday about selling my BMW R1200GS and was considering a FJR or a BMW R1200RT. Well, you folks helped me make up my mind, and I thank you! Just drove my Black "09 home, took my wife around the neighborhood, and I am real happy with the new bike. The power band and clutch are smooth and taking off and creeping slowly are easy. I split lanes coming home which I thought was a little ballsy since I was just getting used t the bike, but it felt very balanced and smooth. I have a couple of questions for you all:

Thanks for the info over the past few days. Dean
Just wondering why you sold your R1200GS and how you would compare your BMW R1200GS to the FJR? I would assume that the FJR would be faster, but feel heavier, more work to initiate a corner, and not suitable on dirt roads.

Cheers and God bless, bg

I had a Givi V46 for about a year. The latching system on mine was crap. The lid would always fly open. I picked up a E52 with the brake lite kit a few weeks ago. Im very happy with it. The E52 has a much more durable latch.

And I am stoked! Wrote a thread yesterday about selling my BMW R1200GS and was considering a FJR or a BMW R1200RT. Well, you folks helped me make up my mind, and I thank you! Just drove my Black "09 home, took my wife around the neighborhood, and I am real happy with the new bike. The power band and clutch are smooth and taking off and creeping slowly are easy. I split lanes coming home which I thought was a little ballsy since I was just getting used t the bike, but it felt very balanced and smooth. I have a couple of questions for you all:

Just wondering why you sold your R1200GS and how you would compare your BMW R1200GS to the FJR? I would assume that the FJR would be faster, but feel heavier, more work to initiate a corner, and not suitable on dirt roads.

Cheers and God bless, bg
I bought the GS for adventure riding. I rode it to Inuvik, north of the arctic circle on some just terrible "roads." Its a tractor of a bike. It will go anyway with a skilled rider. I took a 3 day adventure riding class at RawHyde and was amazed at the trails and climbs the bike was capable of, even with deflated street tires. Its also a great city bike. Its light and has excellent low end torque and is easy to maneuver in tight places. Having said all of that, I am more of a street, touring rider 90 percent of the time. The GS is not great, just okay, on the tarmack, even with aftermarket shields--I had an Aeroflow. Also, my wife greatly preferred the wind protection and overall ride of my former BMW R1150RT to the GS. I know some people feel the opposite, just my two cents. The FJR seems perfect for freeway work and longer trips. My wife thinks its very comfortable. Hope this answers your question. Dean

Cheers and God bless, bg
I bought the GS for adventure riding. I rode it to Inuvik, north of the arctic circle on some just terrible "roads." Its a tractor of a bike. It will go anyway with a skilled rider. I took a 3 day adventure riding class at RawHyde and was amazed at the trails and climbs the bike was capable of, even with deflated street tires. Its also a great city bike. Its light and has excellent low end torque and is easy to maneuver in tight places. Having said all of that, I am more of a street, touring rider 90 percent of the time. The GS is not great, just okay, on the tarmack, even with aftermarket shields--I had an Aeroflow. Also, my wife greatly preferred the wind protection and overall ride of my former BMW R1150RT to the GS. I know some people feel the opposite, just my two cents. The FJR seems perfect for freeway work and longer trips. My wife thinks its very comfortable. Hope this answers your question. Dean
Yes Dean, thank you, that does help. Your Inuvik ride must have been an amazing trip.

Cheers and God bless you,

Brooks

Was at the BMW demo days today and tried the 1200GS - i will be sticking with my FJR

If your wife has a back pad in her jacket she may not want a pad on the top case as they tend to push the passanger to far forward

I have a Givi 52 - really like it but I think there are others out there as good and a lot more affordable

later

Congrats on the new FJR dasadab, and have fun farkeling! Also you had better change your profile from "Other or considering an FJR" :rolleyes:

I came over from the Beemer fold a year ago with an 08. Love it! So much I just bought another 06 in Las Vegas on Thursday with 5600 miles. Just like brand new. Now young son has a blue one so we can be twins of a different color.

I have added Sargeant seats front and rear with backrest (I would not suggest buying their backrest. It will scratch the paint as it interferes with the luggage rack), throttlemeister, powerlet under left passenger footpeg, frame sliders, luggage reflective decals, and Garauld luggage rack for a back bag. He also makes a rack that uses a backrest so check it out. He makes very nice products. Think he is under the vendor forum here.

Enjoy!

I came over from the Beemer fold a year ago with an 08. Love it! So much I just bought another 06 in Las Vegas on Thursday with 5600 miles. Just like brand new. Now young son has a blue one so we can be twins of a different color.
I have added Sargeant seats front and rear with backrest (I would not suggest buying their backrest. It will scratch the paint as it interferes with the luggage rack), throttlemeister, powerlet under left passenger footpeg, frame sliders, luggage reflective decals, and Garauld luggage rack for a back bag. He also makes a rack that uses a backrest so check it out. He makes very nice products. Think he is under the vendor forum here.

Enjoy!
Check out this modification that I did to the Sargent backrest to eliminate the rubbing problem on the luggage rack. If you have any questions, pm me.

Thanks a lot for all the great suggestions and comments. As I said, I stoked!!
After four BMWs I bought my second Yamaha. (The first was in 1968!) I had gotten excited about buying an RT after renting one for a week, but by doing a little web searching I found several comparo-tests from bike magazines which piqued my interest in the FJR.

After picking my new FJR up at the Louisville dealer I started out on a "rapid break-in" in order to have them do the first oil change that day before heading home to CT. This entails warming up and cooling back down once or twice in addition to 50 or so miles. So I left the dealer, warmed it up, turned it off at a coffee shop ten minutes later and had my first conversation with an interested stranger about the bike. I told him I hadn't stopped smiling since I"d gotten it! That's still only a small exaggeration two weeks later: my only issue being the suspension set-up adjustments. The recommendations by HaulinAshe in this forum were taken, and were helpful; but, for me, these changes are a bit less than the miraculous improvement cited by some others. I expect that by keeping track of these adjustments and paying attention to the results, I'll get the FLR in sweet spot and I'll be a better rider for having made the effort!

Best of luck with yours!