Today's Test Ride: California Scientific Medium

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT Pedersen

Reaction score
Greetings,

First, let me thank everyone who provided input in the past two weeks. As well as everyone who has provided historical comments in the forum.

For reference, I am 6'1" with 34" inseam. Like many here, I found the stock windscreen to be ineffective. Worse, it seemed created to make wind noise and turbulence worse, while obscuring sounds we like (like engine & powertrain). Looks nice. However regardless of the height selected, I found no relief other than pressure on the chest during long highway stints.

After plenty of research, a few questions (and patient responses), I chose the CalSci Medium. Placed my order online using CalSci's sizing guidance. The transaction was executed seamlessly with part arriving on time.

Put the screen on last night. Was pleasantly surprised to see they had included, not only the microfiber cleaning cloth and cleaner, but also an air pressure gauge. Convenient since the digital one I have died over the winter. The blue cloth 'bag' to keep the screen in, is now working well for the OEM screen.

Sitting in the garage, was concerned I had ordered too large a windscreen. However, as soon as I backed out of the garage, and headed down the driveway, I knew the sizing was perfect. In the low position, I get plenty of air, bottom of stream about even with my neck. Fully raised, it is about 1-1.5" below my line of sight. In highest position, wind grazes the top ~1" of my helmet. Nice. Sizing chart worked perfectly.

Road test. Its not quite as quiet as I had anticipated, given some of the glowing reports. My expectations were a tad high ;) . However, at all speeds 0-70, I found the airflow to be smooth, no buffeting, and only moderate wind noise. I will still use ear plugs for comfort. However the raw air-shredding noise of the stock screen is gone.

Using my late ST1100 with stock windscreen as comparison, wind buffeting does not exist, wind 'roar' essentially non-existent, and (here's a nice one), you can hear the engine.

The new screen doesn't make the bike 'Goldwing quiet.' That's fine, that wasn't what I was chasing. It is certainly quiet enough I can hear the engine and powertrain at any speed. Sound seems to be about half engine/powertrain, half wind. 'Wind' is fine. Tinnitus-inducing, headache creating, annoying turbulence isn't. That seems to be gone. I haven't been able to hear my own motorcycle, cruising at anything above 30/35MPH, in about 18 years. That, boys and girls, is almost worth the price of admission in itself!

Windscreen dancing...seems about the same as OEM. It was initially more noticeable because, in 'screen evaluation mode', the edge is closer to line of sight and I was more sensitive to it. Only mentioning it here because other posts had discussed this detail. For me: same or less than OEM==non-issue.

I did note one observation that was unexpected. The windscreen has a very faint 'milkiness' to it that the OEM screen does not. I've been accustomed to the typical 'hard' clarity of OEM screens. This faint milkiness is evident in CalSci's FJR1300 page (if you actually 'look'). It should not impact anyone's decision. Simply an observation. Struck me the same as buying a sheet of plexiglass at your local home building supply store.

So, after about an hour or 40 miles: all manner of speeds from residential to freeway; screen up and screen down (and up and down and ...); I can say I'm pleased. Well worth the $203 (incl. shipping).

Dramatic improvement over stock based on my initial perceptions.

I have two long distance rides coming up, including a SaddleSore 1000 early May. If my views change I'll update this post.

Again, thank you to the forum members. Least I can do is contribute my own observations.

Thats about the best windshield evaluation I have ever read. I especially like where you say the shield wasn't as quiet as expected, but qualify that by saying your expectations may have been too high. It is a motorcycle after all.

Nice job. Glad you like your new shield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats about the best windshield evaluation I have ever read. I especially like where you say the shield wasn't as quiet as expected, but qualify that by saying your expectations may have been too high. It is a motorcycle after all.

Nice job. Glad you like your new shield.
No dude.

You NEED to ride to Alaska, or Mexico or ?.

Get back to us when you have survived (re-arrived).

here's hoping for you the best(?), :blink:

I've been running a Cal-Sci Med for 3 years now. I was perfectly happy with it until last winter when I bought one of those Rifle tuning blocks in a fit of winter farkelitis. Thinking if it doesn't work out, I could sell it no problem.

Not a chance in a hell!

The screen went from really good to *PERFECT* with the addition of the tuning block. Full down I get as much breeze as a fly screen, full up the air is just touching the top of my helmet while still looking over the screen. The Med would buffet ever so slightly in the full up position - more a function of screen angle than windshield design. With the tuning block, any slight buffeting is gone completely and replace with clean smooth air.

The only downside to the block is when the screen is in the full down position, it interferes with my handguards in a pretty big way at full lock. The shield and the guard flex enough so their isn't any risk of popping the screen off, but it is there.

Seriously, spend the extra $50 to turn a VERY good screen into a perfect screen. Hey, if you don't like it, you will have no problems selling the block here.

To the original poster, this might not work for you given the differences in height. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam, likely the screen will be to low in the up position for you. I'm just speaking in terms of 'for me'.

I really like my CalSci screen except for the clarity issue. Mine seems to have a blue tint to it and a little cloudy.

The only downside to the block is when the screen is in the full down position, it interferes with my handguards in a pretty big way at full lock.
Just like changing the smoke alarm battery when you change the clocks, I do a couple of jobs together twice a year on the bike. When fall comes, on goes the V-Stream and the handguards. When Spring comes, on goes the CalSci and the tuning block, off come the handguards. Works for me. Of course, we don't get much summer rain in these parts.

I'm using a Cal Sci Large, and don't see any difference in clarity from my stock screen. BTW, what's this "Season" thing you Northerners talk about? I did 3K last month. :)