Tom Tom Rider 2nd Edition

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I just ordered a TT Rider 2nd Edition online because it seemed like a really good deal. $321.00 with shipping included, new stock at: https://www.electronics-expo.com/

Now I'm debating how to mount it. It says it comes with a RAM universal mount, but I don't know if that will work as I think it's for round bars. Has anyone mounted one of these?

Came up at $428 when I tried..

Still not sure about TomTom, as the One XL I bought last July quit working last week....

Curtis

I used the Migsel ram base which I got from Cycle Gadgets which mounts using the two top tank bolts, and parts of the kit that come with the TomTom.

What I like is that it places your GPS unit centrally just in front of the instrument cluster for easy viewing, and it does not interfere with tank bags etc.

I seem to remember paying around $700 when I bought my TomTom, so you got a bit of a deal there IMHO.

Weird--it is now $428 on the website. It was $321 yesterday and I've confirmed on my invoice that's what I paid. Must have been a one-day deal :yahoo:

Maybe the adjust prices when inventory starts moving? Now I feel like it was a great deal.

I just ordered a TT Rider 2nd Edition online because it seemed like a really good deal. $321.00 with shipping included, new stock at: https://www.electronics-expo.com/
Now I'm debating how to mount it. It says it comes with a RAM universal mount, but I don't know if that will work as I think it's for round bars. Has anyone mounted one of these?

I just bought TT2nd Ed, but I am going to tank bag it, and use the wiring harness (included) on the FZ6 with the bar mount (also included).

If you want to see the mounting diagram options in full, I have 80 pages of TT2nd Ed manual, I can scan what you want to see and email it.

PM if interested

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE (Spud @ Mar 27 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I made my own mount for my Tomtom 1st edition, but a similar idea will work with your 2nd.

Rider's view . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . General view of bracket

(Click on any image for larger view)

Edge view of bracket . . . . . . . . . . General view of bracket

Full write-up here (first part shows mounting on my (ex) Trophy, second part on my FJR).

Since I wrote this I modified the bracket so I could remove it quickly, this was because Tomtom do have an issue with the contacts of the holder suffering from water ingress, so I remove mine when I'm not using the satnav. (This also reduces the chances of the ungodly suspecting there might be a satnav hidden in your sidebags and attempting to force them open.)

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone interested in the TT2, they are currently offered at electronicsexpo.com for $361, which is the best price I could find this month. But wait . . . there's more! Order by September 9, and get a 10% discount off that price if you use coupon code #LSGPS10 when ordering. That nets out to $325. Got mine this week. (I am not affiliated with this seller.) Everyone who takes advantage of this owes me $5. LOL

what do you all think of the Rider? is it a viable replacement for someone who doesn't want to spring the major bucks for the Zumo?

what do you all think of the Rider? is it a viable replacement for someone who doesn't want to spring the major bucks for the Zumo?
I've been using the Rider 1 for about 4 years now. They've kept its software up to date, and it is the same as the Rider 2's software.

I find it generally very useable, although for some purposes the "buttons" can be difficult with a gloved hand.

Navigation (here in the UK) is no problem.

There is a good PC interface so you can plug it into your PC and play with it on the PC's screen as if it was live, very usefull for itinary planning etc.

I have had issues with the cradle power connections, cradle replaced under guarantee. The Rider 2 has a different design, hopefully resolving this issue.

My son bought a Rider 2 for his Hornet a few months ago, he gets on well with it.

See my post above for the link to my installation.

If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Yes - it is serviceable, not as good (just my opinion having used both) as the Zumo but if you don't want to pay the bucks for the Zumo, the TomTom is an adequate substitute.

Have any of you had issues in heavy rain? I know that the Zumo is listed as waterproof while the rider is just water "resistant"

I'm leaning towards a Rider2 since I want something I can input custom routes in and really really don't want to spring on the Zumo

Have any of you had issues in heavy rain? I know that the Zumo is listed as waterproof while the rider is just water "resistant"

I'm leaning towards a Rider2 since I want something I can input custom routes in and really really don't want to spring on the Zumo
TomTom claims that the Gen. 2 is waterproof.

Holy crap, 700 from Electronics expo....Guss I'm springing for a zumo :(
If you save it to the shopping cart, you will see the lower price. Phil

Have any of you had issues in heavy rain? I know that the Zumo is listed as waterproof while the rider is just water "resistant"...
Being in the UK, I have proved the waterproofness of the Tomtom 1, riding in hours of torrential rain. Tomtom never showed any ill effects.