Tom Tom vs Garmin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howardrg

Reaction score
I have decided that, as I have been a good boy all year [there is no father xmas in South Africa. I think he got pissed off from being mugged every xmas] That I will reward myself with a GPS.

I have a choice of the Tom Tom ONE XL or the Garmin 610

The T/T is a 1/3 cheaper, price does not matter

No I have never owned a GPS before.

Will 99% be used in my truck

Will probably crash the first time looking at the pretty pictures.

Thoughts and advise would be apreciated

Howard

I wrote the following a couple of years ago for the COG web site - it is pretty much current in terms of what it suggests, though obviously models, features and firmware have changed a bit. These days I STILL prefer the 276/376 etc . . . but I also own a Zumo 550 - I have reviews of both posted at epinions:

Zumo: https://www.epinions.com/content_406049689220

276c: https://www.epinions.com/content_147941396100

I vote Garmin . . . and I prefer the 276c for reasons spelled out in the Zumo review. However, if you are planning a 'grand rounds tour' of the US, and if you aren't bringing a laptop, the tracklog on Zumo will carry your entire trip in addition to interfacing with your cell phone and providing music.

The quick of it is that Garmin uses (and for the forseeable future will continue to use) Navteq maps, while TomTom uses TeleAtlas. Canadian maping is from DTMi and the Canadian government for both.

Navteq maps are better in North America, while TeleAtlas' maps are better for Europe. Since TomTom bought TeleAtlas, you aren't likely to see their maps on a Garmin unit. However TomTom does offer online map updates where Garmin goes for annual releases. Then again they don't build all THAT many roads.

TomTom also allows you to download custom voices (such as John Cleese) if you have the extra cash to burn for such nonsense.

Here's the content of the original post:

ZG-GTR fanatics - Buying a GPS

I got my first GPS when I got lost in New Hampshire - at the end of a 2 lane road, out of sight from all civilisation and running on reserve. I had maps with me. Maps are nice, but to use them you need to know where you are and I didn't. So I resolved to get a GPS unit if and when I got back to any sign of humanity.

I did, and I followed through.

After doing ALL my research I decided that two or three key features were necessities:

1. SUNLIGHT READABLE AND HIGH SCREEN RESOLUTION

My first unit was the then state-of-the-art Streetpilot-III. It had a great contrasty display, but limited readability in bright sunlight. Squinting at a screen or trying to shade it so you can see where you are while tooling along at 70 mph isn’t pleasant.

2. LARGE TRACKLOG

The tracklog is often overlooked - it is the function that tracks where you've been and when. From the tracklog you can derive your location at any time along a route you've driven and from that you can infer the speed travelled and such. A larger tracklog stores more data - it takes about 10 points per mile, depending on terrain - so a 10,000 point tracklog is good for about 1000 miles and that's a good thing.

Automotive units with the exception of the Quest have small 2000 point tracklogs (the Nuvi, c & i series units have no log at all), so you can't even capture a whole day's riding. The lower end units from Garmin and other have no tracklog at all.

Why do I harp on tracklogs? Because they are useful - they allow you to find that really neat section of road at the end of the day and plan your next ride around that if you wish. They also allow you to replay a situation - I used mine to beat a speeding ticket - that alone paid for the GPS!!!.

3. WATERPROOF

Need I say more? Not all units are waterproof

4. BATTERY OPERATION

There's nothing like being able to pop the unit off the bike in case you want to use the unit for something other than a wired-in scenario. Because I had yet to install my fuse and power distribution panel I was riding the FJR and running my unit on its rechargeable batteries, since it will run 15 hours between charges. What if I broke down and decided to hike cross country? Having the GPS to guide me is a significant plus (Quest is the only truly automotive unit with batteries).

5. MEMORY

Many of the latest navigators now come complete with the entire of North American roads (Or European ones, if you buy that version) pre-loaded - a very good thing. But DON'T BUY A UNIT WITH A HARD DRIVE IF YOU PLAN TO PUT IT ON A MOTORCYCLE. Also stay away from a unit with an internal gyroscope.

NOT having all of the dirt tracks in the Rockies if you are an east coaster and plan no visits to that part of the country isn't a hardship - and even the smallest of the newer memory units will carry more road than you can ride comfortably over several days - and where the unit has removable memory (like the 2610 or 276c) you can always load up several chips if needs be and plug the right one for the day's ride, so no PC is required - though if you want to record the trip (see tracklog above), you'll need the computer anyway . . . so memory (or it's lack) becomes a moot point.

6. OTHER STUFF

You can now get units that have traffic information (in selected markets), weather radar displays and have MP3 players and XM radio receivers all in the same box - some have Bluetooth support, though you'll need an intercom system for your bike to make use of the sonic properties of your navigator.

For my part I carry an iPod for music - I suppose I could dump the XM into the tank bag, but I do NOT want everything in a single unit. For one thing I have one XM subscription and I want to leave it that way. Using an iPod means I only meed to manage a music library in a single device. Garmin for some reason limits you to 500 songs (since written, this has been increased to 1000) - I have some 2900 in the iPod.

7. SUMMARY

For MY money, I'd get the 276c/376c/378c/478c (as your needs dictate) from Garmin. Actually, I have a 276c on the bike and another in my car (wife wouldn't use the one I bought for her car, so I grabbed it for myself).

This wasn't an exhaustive analysis, but let me say this - On the day I wrote this article we were out riding in upstate New York. We had trouble getting across the border (high alert, long lines to get across). The GPS helped us find a crossing that NO ONE knows about. The poor lonely guard had cobwebs!!

When we started home we had some time to kill, so I told the unit to plan the shortest (not the fastest) way home - I then proceeded to ignore the directions, using the map display to find roads that had both ends connected to *something* and off we went . . . Three hours of VERY interesting riding that took us all over the place - in and out of the Adirondak Park - we didn’t do our usual speed-fest at 100+ mph (actually we ran at about 80-90 most of the time, but that's what happens) and having the GPS meant that I had an idea of the way the road stretched - whether the upcoming turns were tight or not and that allowed me to anticipate my line around blind corners better.

My riding buddy (K1200S) told me he found the afternoon run more enjoyable that his usual 'blow around the corners with sparks flying from the pegs' riding routine.

When it was time go head home, the unit had already determined the shortest route (which means some of the better riding, because otherwise it wants to superslab it home) AND IT HAD A PROJECTED ARRIVAL TIME, CONSTANTLY UPDATED AS WE RODE. So we knew when to start heading home . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Garmin typically does cost a bit more, but I keep finding them to be more finished than other brands and worth the dollars. I am a bit hard on equipment and had a Magellan lock up and die just this summer. We've tried others at work and keep coming back to the Garmins, too. I have a $248 Nuvi 200 on the bike right now in a custom plastic bracket and love the thing.

Bob

Thanks for the help and info.

I went for the Garmin as it has a lot mor features than the T/T

HOWEVER

I am getting a message when switching the unit on "can not unlock maps" WTF any ideas

Thanks in advance

Howard

If you're in South Africa, did you buy a gray-market US unit? Most US-sold units don't come with the world maps, which cost about $100 extra. Check where you bought it. Garmin has been really good at supporting dealers and providing exchanges when there are real problems, even if it was the idiot user who fell in a stream with it. Ooops, did I say that?

If you're in South Africa, did you buy a gray-market US unit? Most US-sold units don't come with the world maps, which cost about $100 extra. Check where you bought it. Garmin has been really good at supporting dealers and providing exchanges when there are real problems, even if it was the idiot user who fell in a stream with it. Ooops, did I say that?

No Grey market import. Sold with South African maps loaded. The CD I would have expected to have an interface for setup via computer. It does not. Cannot find in instructions how to "open the map'

Howard

No Grey market import. Sold with South African maps loaded. The CD I would have expected to have an interface for setup via computer. It does not. Cannot find in instructions how to "open the map'
Howard
Look in the box for a yellow (actually more gold) piece of paper. The paper contains the 25 character unlock code for the maps. In Mapsource select 'unlock maps' under the utility sub-menu and go from there.

If your unit did not come with a code contact Garmin support with your unit's serial number and i.d. number (get it from the Mapsource program "get unit id", again under the utilities menu). You obviously will need to have your unit cabled to your PC and it will need to be switched on for this. They may want to see a copy of your bill of sale as well.

Oh - keep in mind that your Nuvi is NOT waterproof and have a plastic bag handy in case it rains on your new toy while you are riding.

I just ordered a Garmin 550 Zumo from Amazon. Some photo shops in the NYC area are cheaper, but if you google the Better Business Bureau for their location, they come up with alot of complaints. High pressure to purchase expensive accessories, extended warranties, rude, gray market stuff, and cancellation of orders after a period of time. Decided to pay a little more and play it safe.

I've got two Garmin units, one a 2610, and the other a 2730. I had trouble with the 2730, which ultimately was replaced under warranty. All things considered, I'd buy Garmin again, probably a 276c or a Zumo.

Does anyone have feedback on the Tom Tom Rider 2nd Edition. I have been a Garmin loyalist for years but Tom Tom's new unit has my loyalty waivering. Before I decide I would like to hear if anyone has experience with the 2nd Ed.

Have the Tom Tom Rider, happy about the GPS :) , but not happy with the services :( .

You can't SPEAK to them :eek: , you have to go through the web customer assistance :huh:

Then if their pre program answers is not answering your question you have to send an email,

wait for the answer, if the answer is not exactly what you were looking for, guest what ??? :unsure:

Another email and wait for an answer..... :dribble:

Bought the upgraded version of the maps, at the beginning of the year,

my street is not even there anymore :angry: , and to reinstalled the olds maps :angry: :angry: ,and ask for a credi :angry: :angry: :angry: t.

The answer i got is that they change supplier.... <_<

Hi all.

Just thought I'd mention another alternative to the GPS (with different user needs)...the SPOT Satellite Personal Messenger. I am an international dealer for SPOT and someof you may have read the dialog in the SPOT topic within the forum.

The SPOT product is a transmit-only device (no screen for user tracking like the Garmin and TT). The only signal it receives is the GPS coordinates of the unit via the US Governments GPS satellites. It transmits messages to GEOS - the Houston, TX based emergency response organization, when the 9-1-1 feature is activated. It will also send a message to specified people through either the "Help Me" feature or the "Check-In" feature. You can also purchase a 'real-time' tracking service that sends a signal to your computer with your latitude and longitude coordinates every 10 minutes up to 24 hours at a time if you activate this feature while you are out.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it to you all, as well. Let me know if I can be of assistance during your research of the product. You can see details of the SPOT unit on my web site at www.mountaintechnical.com.

Happy Holidays!

Elaina Leo, Owner

Mountain Technical Field Services, LLC

65 Bear Trail / PO Box 595

Lake George, CO 80827-0595

(866) 236-9345 - toll free

(719) 748-2245 - home office

(719) 748-8275 - fax

[email protected]

www.mountaintechnical.com

You can also purchase a 'real-time' tracking service that sends a signal to your computer with your latitude and longitude coordinates every 10 minutes up to 24 hours at a time if you activate this feature while you are out.
I'm getting one of these for my daughter before she reaches her teen years.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Craig

Hi all.
Just thought I'd mention another alternative to the GPS (with different user needs)...the SPOT Satellite Personal Messenger. I am an international dealer for SPOT and someof you may have read the dialog in the SPOT topic within the forum.

The SPOT product is a transmit-only device (no screen for user tracking like the Garmin and TT). The only signal it receives is the GPS coordinates of the unit via the US Governments GPS satellites. It transmits messages to GEOS - the Houston, TX based emergency response organization, when the 9-1-1 feature is activated. It will also send a message to specified people through either the "Help Me" feature or the "Check-In" feature. You can also purchase a 'real-time' tracking service that sends a signal to your computer with your latitude and longitude coordinates every 10 minutes up to 24 hours at a time if you activate this feature while you are out.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it to you all, as well. Let me know if I can be of assistance during your research of the product. You can see details of the SPOT unit on my web site at www.mountaintechnical.com.

Happy Holidays!

Elaina Leo, Owner

Mountain Technical Field Services, LLC

65 Bear Trail / PO Box 595

Lake George, CO 80827-0595

(866) 236-9345 - toll free

(719) 748-2245 - home office

(719) 748-8275 - fax

[email protected]

www.mountaintechnical.com

WHAT THE FRIG? I sell ATMs. I know that has nothing to do with the product your asking about but if anyone needs an ATM please feel free to contact me.