Tomtom and Sena

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leprechaun

Reaction score
I'm using a Tomtom Rider with the Sena SMH10 and the sound is very distorted. The rider-to-passenger isn't too

bad, but satnav-to-intercom is terrible,at any volume setting. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I use that combination and don't have any problems with sat nav to Sena. My Tom Tom is the original Rider. I also have my mobile phone hooked up to the Tom Tom and that works perfectly as well. :unsure:

Don

I use that combination and don't have any problems with sat nav to Sena. My Tom Tom is the original Rider. I also have my mobile phone hooked up to the Tom Tom and that works perfectly as well. :unsure:

Don

Just got back from a 5K trip that involved roadways in every western state but New Mexico... missed that state by about 150 miles. In the course of doing so, I used a Garmin 550 and a SENA stereo blue tooth helmet unit. This combo worked extremely well for Navi purposes. The downside was music... either from an external mp3 player or the internal SD card. The ambient noise at plus 55 was too much and caused music to just become noise. The phone sync was good and worked well when the phone was within a coverage area. When out of a coverage area, the repetitive messages indicating either "phone disconnected" or "ready to make phone calls". In these circumstances it was simply easier to turn off the phone. So, all in all I would recommend this system... just wish there was a solution for the other stuff.

Mike D

I started with the Sena helmet speakers, which were OK. I have had a set of custom ear plugs with speakers made here Wow, what a difference. I run with the Tom Tom volume set at minimum and the Sena dialled down all the way and I can hear everything with crystal clarity. :rolleyes:

Don

I went for a drive today and tried to reduce the volume of the Tomtom using the onscreen icon, but I'm still getting

distortion, Should I do a factory reset? The Tomtom owner's manual doesn't say anything about this.

Thanks.

I went for a drive today and tried to reduce the volume of the Tomtom using the onscreen icon, but I'm still getting

distortion, Should I do a factory reset? The Tomtom owner's manual doesn't say anything about this.

Thanks.
Don't believe a reset will do anything useful, (but can do no harm).

FWIW, I had a Rider 1. Using earplugs and either of its original earpieces, I needed the volume set to 95%. At this, it was not distorting. At 100%, it would distort. Have you got its original earpiece(s) that you could try?

I've since replaced it with a Rider Pro, with the Scala headset in the helmet. This gives more volume at a lower setting (I usually run at 45-55%), but if turned up, it doesn't distort when painfully loud.

In other words, unless you have a faulty Tomtom, I don't believe it is the cause of the distortion.

Never used it with my phone (I consider that would be too hypocritical), and don't have any other system connected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update.

Today I went for a drive and I set the Tomtom to minimum(10%) and I also turned down the Sena, and this made

a big difference, but if I turn up the Sena it starts to distort,so the problem seems to be the Sena speakers.

They are mounted inside my Arai Viper in the recesses just below the ears. Any comments?

Thanks.

I can't comment on the Tomtom, but my Zumo 660 to Sena interface doesn't cause distortion. I'll have the volume on the Zumo and the Sena set to 100% when I'm on the freeway and I don't notice any distortion. I do wear EAR foam earplugs when riding, so that's why I need 100% volume.