Tool kit - what should I carry?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Ok, so I recently got my new tool roll for the bike. I'm reorganizing the saddle bags next and figured since the tool kit will find a more or less permanent home in one of the side cases, I'd ask for some ideas on which actual tools to place in the tool roll. The factory kit will remain intact under the seat.

I'm thinking things like the common Allen keys that fit the bike's various bits, better pliers, extra fasteners (like the plastic windshield screws), threadlocker, a knife, some electrical tape, spare fuses, zip ties and ...

This is where you all come in. What tools should I carry to deal with most common breakdown issues?

Tire repair kit is a separate unit being carried in the same saddle bag. Though I do need to get a compressor ...

What would/do you carry that the factory didn't think of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I recently got my new tool roll for the bike. I'm reorganizing the saddle bags next and figured since the tool kit will find a more or less permanent home in one of the side cases, I'd ask for some ideas on which actual tools to place in the tool roll. The factory kit will remain intact under the seat.
I'm thinking things like the common Allen keys that fit the bike's various bits, better pliers, extra fasteners (like the plastic windshield screws), threadlocker, a knife, some electrical tape, spare fuses, zip ties and ...

This is where you all come in. What tools should I carry to deal with most common breakdown issues?

Tire repair kit is a separate unit being carried in the same saddle bag. Though I do need to get a compressor ...

A cell phone.

A cell phone.
Always with me, and wouldn't leave that in the tool roll. ;)

I will admit, though, that while posting this last night, the cell phone never even hit my mind as a useful "moment saver". Nice add dc - probably more valuable than many other tools, too... :)

A cell phone.
+1 and a credit card

Do FJR's break down? Most places I ride a cell phone would only work as a hammer.

Think about a good first aid kit and also something for insect stings. Those little buggers will find a way to get you about the neck between your helmet and coat.

Within 100 miles of home: Cell phone and a tire plug kit.

On a trip: Cruz Tools M3 roll, plus the above items.

Keep it coming guys - all excellent items.

I'm also looking for very specific tools, such as:

• 14mm allen key
  • phillips head screwdriver (already in the factory kit, I know, but included here as an example)

Keep it coming guys - all excellent items.
I'm also looking for very specific tools, such as:

• 14mm allen key
  • phillips head screwdriver (already in the factory kit, I know, but included here as an example)
Duane, there is a place in Lynwood (bestrest products, mostly BMW touring stuff) that stocks an awesome little German Toolkit, it has everything but the 14mm hex, and nice and compact and incredibly well made for $60, and will handle most of what you need. They've also got other tools including their well known tire changing kit and compressor, which is pricey. I got a cheap walmart slime compressor, wire up a battery tender piggy tail from your battery and change out the fuse to match the compressor's amperage, and you'll have one nice solution for both your compressor and keeping your battery tended in the winter.

To the toolkit I added flares, vice grips, spare fuses and positaps, flat tire kit (the one with the worms, not the mushroom plugs).

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice is to do your bike maintenance using only your tool kit. You discover really quickly what you need to add. I put in ratcheting wrenches, a small socket kit, vice grips, a fair sized wrench, crescent wrench, lock tite, zip ties, tire plug kit, and a compressor.

Regards,

Davy

Excellent - thanks guys. Appreciate the link Hud - nice stuff. I suspect I'll order the smaller set you posted the link to. :)

atx - the bike has only 970 miles, so, ah, maintenance has been the one oil change thus far. :) I do take your point, though - that's how I figured out what I'd need for my Jeeps. ;)

What tools should I carry to deal with most common breakdown issues?
Breakdown issues? These things don't break down! Yamaha still hasn't figured out how to make them flat tire proof though so the tire repair kit and a small compressor would be a good idea.

I put together a small toolkit for travelling that includes a small socket set, extension and rachet, a couple of screwdrivers, allen keys, vice grips, pliers and the like. Bascially, emergency stuff, for less than $50. Fits in the bottom of my left saddlebag underneath my rain suit. That plus a cell, CC and towing package and I'm about as reasonably prepped for mechanical issues as can be reasonably expected.

The only problem is the roads are so rough around here I can hear it crashing around in there. So, I only carry it on multi-day trips.

You might want to consider a spark plug wrench and socket extension that fits your front wheel. Or a piece of 3/4" rod coupling. With the spark plug wrench you can do plugs if needed and take off the front wheel.

Soldering iron, some solder, 12" of wire.

It's not for the bike per say but to fix those farkles,

Diana pulled the wires on her helmet headset at CFR, Wheaton also had problems with his fancy stop lights

Chris