Top Box for '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paste007

Reaction score
Would appreciate any suggestions for best price, when ordering a factory top box, including the factory mounting hardware.

I checked with my local dealer who quoted me $808 (w/back rest) and another $150 for installation.

Thanks.

The whole deal should cost you less than $800.00 (top case, backrest, mounting plate kit)

You can simply bolt the thing on yourself. You might have to buy the proper "security" driver bit for the lock screws and some loctite, but that's only about 6 bucks.

$150.00 to remove three bolts and install three bolts? man, I need to open up a dealership....

KM

and another $150 for installation.

Thanks.

Cali dealers WOW!

Yeah!

That's kinda steep hourly rate considering it take 3 minutes (maybe less) to install.

Contact university motors mentioned above, you can get it for significantly less and install yourself.

Would appreciate any suggestions for best price, when ordering a factory top box, including the factory mounting hardware.
I checked with my local dealer who quoted me $808 (w/back rest) and another $150 for installation.

Thanks.
STOP! DON'T DO IT!!!! Call Gary @ University Motors. I did and paid $678 to my door for the box, mount, and back rest pad. You can mount it yourself for sure.

STOP! DON'T DO IT!!!! Call Gary @ University Motors. I did and paid $678 to my door for the box, mount, and back rest pad. You can mount it yourself for sure.
I agree. You can do it yourself. The hardest part is mounting the lock and that isn't that hard.

Just be careful not to tighten the bolts down too much. I tightened one of the back bolts too much and cracked the mounting bracket.

Eric

About a month ago I received my Yamaha Touring Trunk, Rear Trunk Attachment Kit, and Backrest Pad for my '06 Cobalt Blue FJR from;

Gary McCoy at University Motors

888-551-6478

[email protected]

Also, Gary kicked everyone else's ass as far as pricing and is a pleasure to deal with. He beat the Yamaha list by over $125.00

Gary's Pricing:

aba-2d261-30-00 = trunk mount = 90.68

5jw-w0754-60-00 = 06 trunk = 494.50

5jw-w0772-00-00 = back pad = 82.73

shipping via ups = 8.00

Total Cost = 675.91

I am quite pleased with the ease of installation (except for having to get two longer screws for the top of the backrest) and the ability to remove the trunk in the same fashion as the saddle bags. I know there are cheaper ways to go but this box is a perfect match and holds enough when needed along with the other bags. My main reason for getting this was to have a backrest for my daughter or wife to ride with me and if they aren't with me and I don't want it on it takes a second to remove it. You can also bungee items to the adapter plate when not using the trunk without worrying about scratching the paint. I am fed up waiting for a good looking after market backrest and probably would have paid close to 3 or 4 hundred for one anyway. If Yamaha was smart they would manufacture a simple backrest without the trunk that could also mount to this plate giving us even more options. Maybe even a smaller version of this trunk that was interchangeable on the plate. Hell they even warn us not to use all three items at once. Wouldn't something a little smaller like Corbin's painted glove box be nice??? Hey Japan are you listening!!!!!

Thanks for the advice and you were right about Gary McCoy.

Now to an undiscovered problem.

I do not have the extra lock that apparently was supposed to be with my bike when purchased. When checking with the dealer, they said that they normally placed the exta lock under the seat and there is no extra lock stored under the seat. Since all three locks are matched to the ignition key and since the trunk comes without a lock, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Gary McCoy at University Motors888-551-6478

[email protected]

Gary's Pricing:

aba-2d261-30-00 = trunk mount = 90.68
Does anyone know the difference between the old and new mounts? I ordered the entire setup from my dealer for my 06AE and the invoice lists the part number for the pre 06 mount but it mounted without any problems and the trunk fits on it fine. Did they just mess up on the invoice and still ship me the right one or are the 2 mounts close enough that it doesn't matter?

Eric

I do not have the extra lock that apparently was supposed to be with my bike when purchased. When checking with the dealer, they said that they normally placed the exta lock under the seat and there is no extra lock stored under the seat. Since all three locks are matched to the ignition key and since the trunk comes without a lock, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

There is a key code somewhere with all the book/manuals that came with your bike.....dealer should be able to get you a new lock with that.

Since you don't have the lock it looks like a good excuse to go with Givi. I ordered the mounting hardware, v46 case, color matched lid insert, light kit (pos), inner bag liner, and the fjr shop manual. It was all about $520 including shipping (if my memory serves me right). From University Motors. My two cents is the Givi looks a bit better and mounts more solidly. Checking the bikes at WFO5 the Yamaha cases seemed to move a bit when mounted on the bike. You will enjoy having the extra capacity with either choice. Plus my wife is a no go without the case as a backrest/I won't fly of the back security device.

Yes. Go to your dealer and have them order one for you. They should pay for it, and in fact, they should also pay to have it re-keyed to match your other locks . They should have shown it to you when they went over the bike with you when you picked it up. (you also should have a tool kit, the little color matched pieces to fill the holes if you take your bags off, the bag liners, and an extra key...along with the extra lock.

(did you look under both seats?)

If you are sure you did not remove it, it should not have just fallen out, thus, they forgot it in the first place, and as you did pay for it, they owe you.

KM

"Does anyone know the difference between the old and new mounts? I ordered the entire setup from my dealer for my 06AE and the invoice lists the part number for the pre 06 mount but it mounted without any problems and the trunk fits on it fine. Did they just mess up on the invoice and still ship me the right one or are the 2 mounts close enough that it doesn't matter?"

The mounts are diffrent...you can mount the earlier base plate with some mods to the included hardware,as the three holes line up. I had one mounted for my case while I waited for the 06 kit to become available.

(yes, they had the trunks in before the mounting kit...and even before the bike itself)

You can tell the diffrence of the new base plate as the older ones were one piece of plastic, the 06 plate looks to be made from two pieces, one on top and one on the bottom like a thin box ..(I do not think it comes apart however) To me this would seem to mean it is stronger/stiffer, a good thing.

KM

"Does anyone know the difference between the old and new mounts? I ordered the entire setup from my dealer for my 06AE and the invoice lists the part number for the pre 06 mount but it mounted without any problems and the trunk fits on it fine. Did they just mess up on the invoice and still ship me the right one or are the 2 mounts close enough that it doesn't matter?"

The mounts are diffrent...you can mount the earlier base plate with some mods to the included hardware,as the three holes line up. I had one mounted for my case while I waited for the 06 kit to become available.

(yes, they had the trunks in before the mounting kit...and even before the bike itself)

You can tell the diffrence of the new base plate as the older ones were one piece of plastic, the 06 plate looks to be made from two pieces, one on top and one on the bottom like a thin box ..(I do not think it comes apart however) To me this would seem to mean it is stronger/stiffer, a good thing.

KM
Thanks. I checked the part number on the instructions that came with it and it is the old one. The holes line up fine and I didn't need to use any of the other hardware that came with it other than the bolts. The trunk does seem to move around a little in it though. Do I bother getting the new one? Is it more stable or fit the trunk/bike any better?

Yes. Go to your dealer and have them order one for you. They should pay for it, and in fact, they should also pay to have it re-keyed to match your other locks . They should have shown it to you when they went over the bike with you when you picked it up. (you also should have a tool kit, the little color matched pieces to fill the holes if you take your bags off, the bag liners, and an extra key...along with the extra lock.

(did you look under both seats?)

If you are sure you did not remove it, it should not have just fallen out, thus, they forgot it in the first place, and as you did pay for it, they owe you.

KM
Yep, my dealer handed my extra lock to me when I picked up the bike. They should have presented you with the lock. If you are sure it wasn't under the seat, I would ask them nicely to provide one for you. If they say sorry, you'll have to pay for it, then they aren't much of a dealer in my book. That's part of taking care of the customer. Good luck!

Thanks. I checked the part number on the instructions that came with it and it is the old one. The holes line up fine and I didn't need to use any of the other hardware that came with it other than the bolts. The trunk does seem to move around a little in it though. Do I bother getting the new one? Is it more stable or fit the trunk/bike any better?

Not sure what you have here. The instructions could just have been old. The holes on the older ones do line up, but I thought the supplied bolts were too long.

Anyway, the trunk should be fairly tight. When I had the old mount installed, my passenger complained of the backrest "beating" her back when going over bumps. After installing the correct mount, the problem went away. If I try moving the case around now, the whole bike moves..it is very solid.

Sorry I do not have a pic of the 06 base plate, but as I said, the main diffrence is the new ones seem to be make out of two pieces sandwitched together, as the older ones were one piece.

KM