Top Box Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOF

Reaction score
I need a top box for an 05 for traveling and as a back rest for my wife. I would prefer not to drill into the fender and to keep the stock rack. I bought, and then sold, a Yamaha top box with the intention of purchasing a Givi with a SW-motech adapter plate. I saw this set up here on the forum with pictures and thought this would be perfect for what I wanted to accomplish. Some newer posts to that thread say that this set up is not very soild. Should I just get the Givi and replace the stock rack with the Givi rack? Would this be easiest? I don't really like the look of the Givi rack though. It seems to me that Yamaha missed the boat in the design process when it comes to the installation of their own trunk. Any suggestions out there? Is there another product that someone has had good success with?

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a top box for an 05 for traveling and as a back rest for my wife. I would prefer not to drill into the fender and to keep the stock rack. I bought, and then sold, a Yamaha top box with the intention of purchasing a Givi with a SW-motech adapter plate. I saw this set up here on the forum with pictures and thought this would be perfect for what I wanted to accomplish. Some newer posts to that thread say that this set up is not very soild. Should I just get the Givi and replace the stock rack with the Givi rack? Would this be easiest? I don't really like the look of the Givi rack though. It seems to me that Yamaha missed the boat in the design process when it comes to the installation of their own trunk. Any suggestions out there? Is there another product that someone has had good success with?

Yes, buy the Givi rack and their topcase to match your bike. Very strong and no problems that I remember except one whose rack rusted and broke. I know of quite a few LD riders with 50,000 plus miles with their givi setup with no problems. Some have also powdercoated the rack to match. looks very nice.

Just make sure you wear the matching polo shirt, dockers and hush puppies to match. Otherwise, it just won't be right. Don't forget the "tag" perfume.