Top Case Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog9

Reaction score
I know I know, as an old timer on these boards, I read the title and would roll my eyes thinking "why the %&* cant that guy search?" when I saw the title, but honest, I did search and have a question & know someone has the answer! LOL.

I've never ridden with a topcase, because I dont like the way they look, and dont like the way the quick release mounts look either. My wife has only done day trips with me, all my long distantce and overnight trips have been just me & the guys, but she is ready for 3-4 day trips, and even wants to ride cross country, so I am psyched about that. Problem is, I always used one bag for clothes & stuff and the other for gear, tools, small fuel bottle, etc.

I've been looking all over the internet for a top case solution that when NOT on the bike leaves it looking stock, no mounting plate or messing up the factory stock rack but havent found one. Basically when th case is noton the bike, I want it to look stock. My backup plan is a square soft case from a bicycle shop with all my gear and tools that bungees/attaches to the factory rack when we are on the road. But like you all, want to use the wealth and wisdom of this board to my advantage.

I know I know, as an old timer on these boards, I read the title and would roll my eyes thinking "why the %&* cant that guy search?" when I saw the title, but honest, I did search and have a question & know someone has the answer! LOL.
I've never ridden with a topcase, because I dont like the way they look, and dont like the way the quick release mounts look either. My wife has only done day trips with me, all my long distantce and overnight trips have been just me & the guys, but she is ready for 3-4 day trips, and even wants to ride cross country, so I am psyched about that. Problem is, I always used one bag for clothes & stuff and the other for gear, tools, small fuel bottle, etc.

I've been looking all over the internet for a top case solution that when NOT on the bike leaves it looking stock, no mounting plate or messing up the factory stock rack but havent found one. Basically when th case is noton the bike, I want it to look stock. My backup plan is a square soft case from a bicycle shop with all my gear and tools that bungees/attaches to the factory rack when we are on the road. But like you all, want to use the wealth and wisdom of this board to my advantage.
I have an older version of this, which does just what you want.

There are other brands out there also. Do a search for tail bags, there are plenty of pics on the forum of them installed.

https://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3.nsf/Pr...CA?opendocument

I was the same, top boxes are very practical but look ugly.

I fitted a SW-Motec Alu-Rack to mine.

First photo is the rack fitted, takes about 10 mins.

r1.jpg

This second photo is of the adapter plate attached to the Alu Rack.

The adapter plate is actually for a Givi box but I don't tour and I use a 20 lt bag velcroed to the adapter plate.

I was going to get a Givi but have no use for one.

Had i decided that earlier I could have got a soft luggage adapter plate instead.

The screw in the middle of the adapter locks it on to the Alu Rack.

I cut a small hole in my soft luggage bag so I can fit a screw driver through and remove the bag/luggage.

Fitting or removing a top box or bag is a 15 second job and leaves the bike looking neat.

I have friends with the same system and 2 of them use 52 ltr Givi cases, no problems.

r2.jpg

Pics with bag on and off.

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

dcp_0014.jpg

First you crash and damage one of the bags. Then you replace the damaged bag. Using the old bag on top of a garauld rack, bungee the bastard down. Comes off quick and easy and is the same color as the scoot itself. Eskimo ingenuity. Gotta love it.

I just mounted a Coocase V36 delux top case. First I had to mount the same SW bracket as Shadow did in his pics. Then I mounted the plastic Coocase bracket to the SW. When I tried to mount the Coocase backrest to the case, the problems started!!

The plastic Coocase bracket is much shorter in length than the bracket Shadow used. So when I got all my installing done, I was very unhappy with the position of the backrest. It was between 2"& 4" too far forward and vey uncomfortable. Moving the Coocase bracket back far enought is NOT an option because the plastic bracket will only be supported on the metal bracket by less than 50% of it's length. Any rocking back by my passenger would surely break the plastic bracket. Just 20 minutes ago I sent pics to Twisted Throttle per their request to document my problems (please don't ask for post pics, I'm a newbie & don't know how to do this yet!).

My solution was to make my own backrest out of 1/2" thick foam with presssure sensitive adhesive. It doesn't look bad, but this summer's heat may give me problems. The Coocase needs something for a backrest because it has an external horizontal hinge that is very painful to ride against!

I chose the Coocase because it has a key FOB push button auto lock/unlock/alarm for the lid + the unlatch button for easy case removal from the bracket. The V36 is the mid size Coocase, they also have a smaller 24 & larger S48 (number = liter's capacity).

Hey Shadow, what brand mufflers are those?? I like them.

Then, it looks like you're shopping for a Cortech tail pack. You might try looking at www.newenough.

Using the old bag on top of a garauld rack, bungee the bastard down. Comes off quick and easy and is the same color as the scoot itself. Eskimo ingenuity. Gotta love it.
I love it! I even own a spare FJR bag, but it's Grey! Maybe I'll have the grey part sprayed with black underbody protector to match the hugger! Or, maybe I'll just get my Samsonite suitcase sprayed with black underbody protector! Thanks for the idea Odot! B)

I have the SW-Motech adapter plate plus a second black plastic adapter for Givi Monokey cases that goes over it. The monokey plate is connected only with three quick-release screws and is trivial to connect and disconnect. So my recommendation is to go with something like that, and just paint the bare-aluminum base plate to match your bike's paint. Keep the topcase and the monokey adapter off when you're not using them but keep the aluminum base plate on.

Being that Bulldog's bike is an 05, mounting any type of mounting plate to his luggage rack means drilling two holes through the tail section. It's not quite the quick and painless task it is on the Gen II bikes. Afterward, however, it's just a matter of removing the plate to be back to stock appearance.

Is it true that you have to drill holes in the rear tail section of an '06 FJR to mount the OEM Top Case?

That seems like a poor design to me if true.

Anyone done this?

Thanks.

I've been using a soft sided tail bag that I used when I had my old Ninja. My husband made a different rear rack so I could hook the bag on. But I have been thinking about getting either the Givi or Yamaha truck. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which one would be the better choice.

Is it true that you have to drill holes in the rear tail section of an '06 FJR to mount the OEM Top Case?That seems like a poor design to me if true.

Anyone done this?

Thanks.
OEM top case, no drilling on the bike, however if you put the back rest on the top case you drill holes for that, which is very easy I must say