Top Case Wind Buffeting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonyt

Reaction score
Hi All, first post here for me.

Got a real nice 07 with low kilometers.
I am wanting to get a top case for the bike. Would love the Yamaha OEM top case, but they seem scarce used and pricey new.
I've read through many posts and see that many recommend the Givi V47 case, that seems to fit the bike real nice.
I've looked at a used Givi V58, but it seems a tad too big on the bike and the owner even mentioned that he experienced some wind buffeting at speeds of 120+ km/hr.
I'm coming off an 86 Goldwing Aspencade, so of course had the side and rear bag and never experienced any wind buffeting.
Picture attached of bike with side bags off, and with the Corbin seat. I got the Corbin and the Yamaha OEM seat with the purchase.
I put the OEM seat back on, I don't care for the Corbin, it's too wide for me.

So here are my questions.
Is the wind buffeting very noticeable and does it affect handling?
Is it noticeable at lower speeds as well or only at higher speeds?
Does a taller windshield help to eliminate the buffeting? Windshield brand and size?
Any difference in wind buffeting from the V47 to the V58?
All of my riding is solo.
Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_5631.jpg
    IMG_5631.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
I have a Givi V46 and buffeting hasn't been an issue. (I also have the Givi SR357 rack which supports the case nicely and also helps strengthen the rear subframe to some extent. (Fairly easily broken aluminum casting in subframe if top box is overloaded.) I don't have any experience with larger cases, but aerodynamic issues have not been common complaints.

I still have no idea what this buffeting is that some people talk about. But I run a very rectangular Kappa Garda 52L top case and 46L side cases with no issues.

I put Givi E52 + Givi SR357 Rack and I agree, no issues.
Honestly, I don't ride without it anymore.
Its much more convenient than the side cases for shorter rides plus the small cushion puts some more comfort for.my wife

I have a Givi V46 and buffeting hasn't been an issue. (I also have the Givi SR357 rack which supports the case nicely and also helps strengthen the rear subframe to some extent. (Fairly easily broken aluminum casting in subframe if top box is overloaded.) I don't have any experience with larger cases, but aerodynamic issues have not been common complaints.
I have the small OEM, and no issues at all, even at 150+ km/h, but as you say they cost an arm and a leg. I often see used ones on the site. Haven't tried the 50 l OEM, but I recon you will feel more buffering with the large one. I also think the smaller OEM look nicer, not so " overtaking" of the rear end of the bike. I think it all comes down to what you like and need when I comes to avaliable space. The Givi ones look more aerodynamic, so...maybe better in terms of buffering. I think you just have to find out what you need, if a smaller one is enough, maybe it will the best.

Thanks all for the input, seems like it's not much of an issue in the wind buffeting department.
I prefer either of the OEM cases, but a Givi with the SR357 would work as well. Cheers.

I have the ever so slightly smaller V56 and have no problems. I do have a larger aftermarket windscreen (Rifle, now out of business) but it makes no difference fully down vs fully up so I don't think it's a factor.

I have the small OEM, and no issues at all, even at 150+ km/h, but as you say they cost an arm and a leg. I often see used ones on the site. Haven't tried the 50 l OEM, but I recon you will feel more buffering with the large one. I also think the smaller OEM look nicer, not so " overtaking" of the rear end of the bike. I think it all comes down to what you like and need when I comes to avaliable space. The Givi ones look more aerodynamic, so...maybe better in terms of buffering. I think you just have to find out what you need, if a smaller one is enough, maybe it will the best.
I had the factory case on my 04 and I would get a wobble riding solo at 127mph (204 kph). Just my personal experience.

I rarely ride with the topcase because of the rear end wobbling. It constantly feels like I'm meeting 18-wheelers on a 60 mph 2-lane road just not as severe if that makes sense. When traveling and it's on, I place a tall bag on the rear seat to eliminate it. I think it may have something to do with preferring a taller and wider windshield than most others do.

On my '15 I have a Givi set-up, SR357 mount with V47 topcase. Local rides I just use the top case. Maybe it's bike set-up, but I've never had a wobble up to 100 ish. However, I did experience the wobble once at 120+ (on a closed course!) fully loaded with bags and top case. Wasn't severe but definitely noticeable.

~G

I had a 2007, very distinctive color! I put a Yamaha touring windshield on and it made a big difference for me at 6 ft. I had a Givi E228 which is rather small, but no issues. Loved the extra storage.

I rarely ride with the topcase because of the rear end wobbling. It constantly feels like I'm meeting 18-wheelers on a 60 mph 2-lane road just not as severe if that makes sense. When traveling and it's on, I place a tall bag on the rear seat to eliminate it. I think it may have something to do with preferring a taller and wider windshield than most others do.
Fwiw, I don't notice any difference between my bike with the big v-stream and my short sport shield. But I am 6ft 195, so don't think a lot of wind is making it to the top case.

Fwiw, I don't notice any difference between my bike with the big v-stream and my short sport shield. But I am 6ft 195, so don't think a lot of wind is making it to the top case.
lol, know the feeling, i am larger and taller then the box. i am sure, becaus , if my wife is between me and teh box, she doens't see anything, doesn't feel anything, she just falls asleep , must say that my wif is smaller and not that high as the box , but certainly there is no wind behind me

Seems like some experience the buffeting and others do not, either because of size of the person, size of the bags, additional passenger or a different windscreen/ height.
I wonder how much effect the different types windscreens and heights of windscreens affect the wind in behind the rider.
Pretty sure mine is aftermarket as it has a slot near the base, anyone know which shield this might be?

Attachments

• windscreen.jpg
    windscreen.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
Seems like some experience the buffeting and others do not, either because of size of the person, size of the bags, additional passenger or a different windscreen/ height.
I wonder how much effect the different types windscreens and heights of windscreens affect the wind in behind the rider.
Pretty sure mine is aftermarket as it has a slot near the base, anyone know which shield this might be?
Also, some people are really sensitive. This is not a dig on anyone, but ride enough bikes and your neck toughens up and you don't have wobbly newborn head.

Thanks there Ross, that is definitely the windscreen I have.
I find it surprising that the manufacturer wouldn't put some kind of logo on the shield in a conspicuous place to identify it.

My two cents, I don't notice much if any difference in wind screen buffeting except how it hits my helmet. It seems to get the upper half and I notice it but it's not an issue. I prefer a much shorter wind screen (except in winter when I'd run my barn door V-Stream), but I like the wind to help cool me down with the shorter wind screen.

My Givi 46 case is another story. It's mounted absolutely solid but I do notice buffeting that I'd guess is the wind going around my body and then reconnecting or merging at the Givi. I do feel like I have a slight front end wobble or low tire when I had it on. I got use to it. Put it this way, it never stopped my from using it.

Greetings. New member and first post here. I have a 2013 FJR with a Givi V47 tech top case and I do receive significant buffeting at highway speeds when using the case. All is perfect when not using it. It is possible that my particular accessory choices contribute to this situation. Those are, a Puig touring windshield and extension, the heavy duty yamaha aluminum rack, and the FJR specific Givi monokey bracket. I have not yet experimented with filling the passenger seat void with a bag or a person which may alleviate the buffeting. I hope this post can contribute something meaningful. Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20240717_133946769.jpg
    PXL_20240717_133946769.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240717_191346942.jpg
    PXL_20240717_191346942.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts