Top Case Wind Buffeting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings. New member and first post here. I have a 2013 FJR with a Givi V47 tech top case and I do receive significant buffeting at highway speeds when using the case. All is perfect when not using it. It is possible that my particular accessory choices contribute to this situation. Those are, a Puig touring windshield and extension, the heavy duty yamaha aluminum rack, and the FJR specific Givi monokey bracket. I have not yet experimented with filling the passenger seat void with a bag or a person which may alleviate the buffeting. I hope this post can contribute something meaningful. Cheers
Welcome from Arendal, Norway. Ride safe 🏍️.

I have the large OEM top case. May be a little buffeting. But not a big deal. The windscreen position, elbows do change the airflow. Turbulence from cars and truck is a bigger effect with or without the top case. The utility of the top case is epic. Side cases for the beer and food in the top case. IMG_3458.jpeg

When I bought my 2016 bike it came with a 50ltr top case, I think the screen is a little larger than standard but not huge. I tend now to just go out for day trips with the top case, no panniers. For a while I experienced the screen vibrating back and forth slightly between 154-160kph, it wasn’t terrible but I didn’t like it, it was steady as a rock above 160. I checked for missing screws and fixings and found 5 around the front fairing area, replaced and it made no difference. I removed the mirror extenders, no difference. Checked and tightened all fixings to the screen and mechanism, no difference. Then one day I went out without the top box and there was no vibration. Put the top box back on and the vibration was back.
I did some experimenting and found that if I sit as far back as my arms would allow there was no vibration, it turned out that the airflow around me at a very narrow speed area battered the top box and this wobbles the screen. I couldn’t feel anything through the seat or pegs. Carrying a pillion or bag on the pillion seat stops the vibration too.
I now ensure I go from 154 to 161kph as quickly as possible and I have very little trouble with it 😁