Top cases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Just wondering what everybody is using for top boxes? Anybody have the Yamaha box? is it worth $500 plus? how much can you fit in it?

TIA,

Gregory

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using a GIVI E460 monokey with the GIVI base. It has enough room for two helmets. (about 46L) It is easy to put on and remove from the mount. this one came with my used 04, the top color matches my bike perfect (silver) on line they are around 200.00 without the base.

I wonder if IP Board will do a popup for members with less than 100 posts or something that makes them check a box that says "I've used the SEARCH function and my question was not answered"

I wonder if IP Board will do a popup for members with less than 100 posts or something that makes them check a box that says "I've used the SEARCH function and my question was not answered"
Gunny on nga's comment.
-BD
I dunno? See the results below from the Furom search feature:

(+top +case)

(topcase)

topbox

You and I know that the newbies haven't figured out how to search the forum, so they ask for opinions. Heck, some of the "oldies" can't search the forum... :dribble: I thought my links were a good teaching tool and certainly gave him soe "homework" rather than turning this into 6 pages of "This is what I did, its the best!" posts.

MM,

Thanks for helping a newbie who did not find the info I was looking for on an '08 FJR.

Gregory

Thanks for helping a newbie who did not find the info I was looking for on an '08 FJR.
Along with the other recommendation of threads you should read when you signed up...you'd quickly figure out the '08 through the '06 are the same model of bike (Gen II) with almost 100% part interchangability....and that often parts are interchangable across the whole history of the bike.

Along with the other recommendation of threads you should read when you signed up...you'd quickly figure out the '08 through the '06 are the same model of bike (Gen II) with almost 100% part interchangability....and that often parts are interchangable across the whole history of the bike.
Especially Givi top cases that pretty much fit any Givi baseplate no matter which bike the base plate is attached to. For instance, my Givi topcase works on my FJR and will fit my KLR 650 once I attach the Givi plate..

Why don't we all just google everything and bypass this site altogether? What's the point of this site other than asking "hey how's the weather" or "how's the wife" to each other? I mean pretty much everything has been discussed at one time or another about the FJR...but, there are new people on here all of the time. What would it hurt to talk about old subjects once in a while for the benifit of those new guys. Who knows, maybe somethings have changed since the last time it was discussed? What I am saying... maybe the line is drawn a little close here?

Just to play devil's advocate, I can see the value of doing a search for the info before posting a new question. I can see where the good folks who answer the same questions day after day can save a few keystrokes (it get's pretty tedious after a while), and also, folks who do look up topics can get all the info they need from one or two threads instead of a hundred. Makes sense to me.

Maybe we need devise a more user-friendly tutorial on searching for existing topics.

Tangi

:popesmiley:

Why don't we all just google everything and bypass this site altogether? What's the point of this site other than asking "hey how's the weather" or "how's the wife" to each other? I mean pretty much everything has been discussed at one time or another about the FJR...but, there are new people on here all of the time. What would it hurt to talk about old subjects once in a while for the benifit of those new guys. Who knows, maybe somethings have changed since the last time it was discussed? What I am saying... maybe the line is drawn a little close here?

Givi V46 w/Givi mount. Lorie likes it for the support it provides; I like it because it mounts/dismounts very easily, holds 2 x full face helmets; also holds ice w/o leaking!

I have found that at highway speeds, w/o Lorie on board, it does create a "movement" in the bike. Not dangerous, but noticeable as something slightly different. Doesn't keep me from using the box when necessary (when alone) and isn't a real big deal, just thought I'd mention it.

All in all I am very satisfied with the Givi and would buy one again!

Common for a new guy to ask before doing a search. Just be glad that you didn't do it on a dog-pile Friday. ;)

People largely come down to one of three choices, those being Yamaha's top case, one of the Givis, or a homebrew. There are also soft-siders and JC Whitney, but not a lot of users for those. I've got a Yam topcase, but usually the bike's just wearing a briefcase (photo). There's at least one guy using a quick-remove mount concept like mine with a Pelican case that looks pretty good.

IMG_4151.jpg

Bob

Why don't we all just google everything and bypass this site altogether? What's the point of this site other than asking "hey how's the weather" or "how's the wife" to each other? I mean pretty much everything has been discussed at one time or another about the FJR...but, there are new people on here all of the time. What would it hurt to talk about old subjects once in a while for the benifit of those new guys.
I don't think that's the case at all. The issue that you don't understand is that these POPULAR questions have been answered ad nausem, ad infinitum for years. I understand, I really do, as I was once a New owner on a different website in a galaxy far far away. I suppose we "oldies" could each create our own file of answers and merely "cut & paste" the response whenever someone asks. Or we could help anyone who happens to read this learn HOW to find answers in the library of "5 years+ collective FJR wisdom and knowledge". That's all I'm trying to do.

AND, just by asking, he HAS opened the topic for discussion.

Who knows, maybe somethings have changed since the last time it was discussed? What I am saying... maybe the line is drawn a little close here?
I'll be awaiting anything "new" regarding top cases. Racks? Maybe though Garauld (see Vendors Section) and OhioFJR at Premier Cycle Accessories have pretty much covered that field. But topcases? Hard cases: major brands are Yamaha and Givi. There are Krauser, Pelican, JC Whitney and a couple of others that are specific to desire or need. Many owners use soft luggage on a rack, but that might require an additional backrest for a pillion. I'm guessing that all of this is covered in my original links, OR I could post here for about 2 pages of bandwidth.

How to search including Google way on Sticky ?
You mean like Searching - another method

I'll tell you what I'll do for you all. If you'd like, I'll take some time off trying to direct anyone to the answer they need. I'm getting ready to return to work, anyway, so I won't be checking inhere 3 or 4 times a day.

[SIZE=8pt](Jeez, I'm crusty curmudgeon today! I think I'll go for a ride, enjoy my FJR and the scenery here in NorCal and the East Bay Area. You ladies and gentlemen have a wonderful day.)[/SIZE]

Common for a new guy to ask before doing a search. Just be glad that you didn't do it on a dog-pile Friday. ;)
People largely come down to one of three choices, those being Yamaha's top case, one of the Givis, or a homebrew. There are also soft-siders and JC Whitney, but not a lot of users for those. I've got a Yam topcase, but usually the bike's just wearing a briefcase (photo). There's at least one guy using a quick-remove mount concept like mine with a Pelican case that looks pretty good.

IMG_4151.jpg

Bob
What's holding your briefcase on? Did you remove the bungee cords for the photo?

Givi V46. I prefer the lines over the Yamaha box. Only qualm with either of the boxes is it unsettles the bike a bit at speeds.

DSC_2363.jpg

I have a Pelican case on a Gerauld rack.

I was on here for a year before I was told about google search, man did that make searching easy. I never look at anything titled software since I don't do software so I never read those posts. I don't know how many times I commented on lousy site search & never was told the easy way until MM2 came along . I'm just stupid that way I guess & thought asking would be easier since search was not an option the way it is set up on this forum.

BTW I love this place & have met some good people thru it . . .