Top Heavy - Relocate Battery?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack D

Reaction score
I have a 2009 with 92K miles on it. Can't sell it so I am thinking of changing things I don't like and run it awhile longer. I love the FJR engine but the ergonomics don't fit me. I can relocate the bars and make wire, hose and cable extensions. But I also find the bike to be really top heavy and on long sweeping curves I have to push continuously to keep the bike leaned over. I was wondering about using a Shorai battery (less weight) and relocate it under the seat. Has anybody tried this yet? Or maybe I am the only one who finds the FJR to be a bit piggish in it's handling?

Been talked about a half dozen times or more....and usually by folks that either were not treating another issue with handling (e.g. tire pressure with lots of denial). Easily found by searching on "relocate battery" and similar terms.

To date, I'm aware of nobody that followed through with it.

"Piggish" handling has nothing to do with weight location

and everything to do with tire choice and sagging ( rear )

suspension.

Get some long overdue upgrades to both and rediscover

how great a bike the FJR is meant to be.

Over the years I've tried and installed all kinds of things to keep making this awesome bike even better. I bought the bike new in '05 and since then have installed Traxxion Dynamics front suspension, Ohlins rear shock, Shorai battery replacing the original battery, lowered the suspension 1" (cause I'm kinda short, lol), rear axel gear ratio change, etc etc etc. Regarding installing the Shorai battery under the rider seat. I did that also but honestly couldn't tell any difference in anything with it there vs in the original battery tray. I moved it back up front and used the under seat area for other mods like the PTC -3 and Eastern Beaver distribution box, etc. I like the lighter weight Shorai battery and have been using it now for over 4 years with out any problems.

Having to push the bars through a corner is nothing to do with weight, everything to do with the front tyre and both tyre pressures. The FJR is very fussy on its front tyre. Make sure you have one of the preferred ones on, see this thread (yes, I know it says 2015/6, but all years are similar in their tyre requirement. My personal favourite is the BT023 or T30. The BT021 is one of the worst.

The rear tyre has less affect on handling, though its pressure is important. Check both pressures, 40 F, 43 R are good starting points (make sure your gauge is accurate).

Thanks Viper Pilot. I am glad to see that somebody has already tried the battery relocation. I was grabbing at straws to try and improve the situation. I am very aware of what low tire pressure does to the FJR and also that when the tires get 5-6K on them that the situation is exacerbated. I also understand that my rear shock has long been gone and the spring was too soft to begin with. When I bought this bike 3 years ago I test rode a new FJR, a new Kawi C14 and of course this bike with 24K on it. I thought all of them required excessive counter steering pressure to maintain the lean angle in curves and in all fairness to the FJR the C14 was the worse by far. I remember thinking that these bikes do what I force them to do but my last couple of bikes do what I am thinking. By now I am sure that my bike has gotten progressively worse but if the best I can hope for is to get back to what I encountered on the original test rides I do not think I will put any more money into a bike with this high of mileage. I think I will test a Gen III and see what I think of it. Thanks to all of you that shared your inputs.

Having to push the bars through a corner is nothing to do with weight, everything to do with the front tyre and both tyre pressures. The FJR is very fussy on its front tyre. Make sure you have one of the preferred ones on, see this thread (yes, I know it says 2015/6, but all years are similar in their tyre requirement.
Guess I am in good company as I have always used PR4s since they came out.

Thanks Viper Pilot. I am glad to see that somebody has already tried the battery relocation. I was grabbing at straws to try and improve the situation. I am very aware of what low tire pressure does to the FJR and also that when the tires get 5-6K on them that the situation is exacerbated. I also understand that my rear shock has long been gone and the spring was too soft to begin with. When I bought this bike 3 years ago I test rode a new FJR, a new Kawi C14 and of course this bike with 24K on it. I thought all of them required excessive counter steering pressure to maintain the lean angle in curves and in all fairness to the FJR the C14 was the worse by far. I remember thinking that these bikes do what I force them to do but my last couple of bikes do what I am thinking. By now I am sure that my bike has gotten progressively worse but if the best I can hope for is to get back to what I encountered on the original test rides I do not think I will put any more money into a bike with this high of mileage. I think I will test a Gen III and see what I think of it. Thanks to all of you that shared your inputs.
I have an 09 too. A few years ago upgraded the suspension to GP front and Penske outback. It was expensive but worth every penny. Like you I found the bike did not handle well in turns; it felt heavy and piggish just as you described; it was tiring to ride it in the twisties. The new suspension changed all of that - all those issues are gone. It is a whole different bike. The suspension price installed was $1750. I have 65k on my 09 and will drive it into the ground.

Some folks here I respect say the Gen III suspension is good enough. It is certainly much better than a Gen II. So upgrading is an good option.

Based on my upgraded suspension experience I am skeptical moving the battery will address the piggish handling.

Best wishes.

There is always another way to skin a cat. When my shock goes bad, I'll re-locate the battery.

Seriously, spent several miles chasing AlanC last Tuesday in some tight curvy and hilly roads in southern Indiana. Fix your shock and ride that baby. It has a lot of life left in it.

Jack, since I'm sure we ride a lot of the same roads, I'll say that my '07 does not do what your '08 is doing. It doesn't take much to drop her into a turn, and bars pressure seems pretty light to me. I'm thinking your suspension may be FUBAR, or maybe your tires are too low. Or maybe a combination of both. I know you're lighter than me, but 41 front and 43 rear transformed my bike.

Replace it with a lithium ion. that cuts the weight by about 75%.
Minor correction. Lithium Iron, not Ion, in the case of the Shorai batteries.
smile.png
Lithium Iron is more stable and less prone to thermal runaway.

I thought about moving the Shorai from my ST to the FJR as it's the same battery they spec for both bikes, but then I'd need to buy a new battery for the ST as the FJR battery won't fit the ST. The width and length are almost identical to the stock battery, but it's 1-5/8" shorter. The stock battery cables in the FJR are so stiff I'm thinking I'd need to put a spacer under the battery to make it work. I don't know how you'd fit one of these Shorai batteries under the seat(s) of the FJR?? It does only weight about 2.5 lbs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you notice a big difference in handling going from a full tank to empty?

If the answer is no, then leave your battery where it is.

As several others have said your money is best spent on upgrading your suspension.

It sounds like you already have your tyres sorted...........

Work on building up your upper body strength. Just a suggestion. Wait a minute the feejer is doing that for you. Think of it as exercising.
winksmiley02.gif

Alls good,

Dave

It would be easier to lose a few pounds than to relocate the battery if she feels a little top heavy. Honestly relocating the battery wouldn't make much of a difference in my opinion. After you get a few thousand miles on her, I doubt that you will have the same view. Enjoy the bike!

Another thing would be to replace the link dogbones with shorter ones to raise the rear ride height, or get a ride height adjustable aftermarket shock, or raise the forks about 3/8 " (though you lose a bit of cornering clearance). But these are things you would do after making sure your tires and rear shock (sacked out) aren't the issue and you still want to quicken the steering it a bit more. I think the big girl handles pretty neutral in stock form as long as the tires and suspension are up to snuff.

It would be easier to lose a few pounds than to relocate the battery if she feels a little top heavy. Honestly relocating the battery wouldn't make much of a difference in my opinion. After you get a few thousand miles on her, I doubt that you will have the same view. Enjoy the bike!
Is 68,000 enough?

Seriously, thanks for all the inputs. No I don't notice a handling change with less gas so logic states that moving the battery is not going to be a problem solver but might be a little fine tuning. I have used 40F - 44R tire pressures which is much better than 36 - 42 but I still don't find the bike svelte and agile. I am afraid to spend big bucks on suspension for a bike with 92K miles on it especially since FJRs don't seem to be popular on the used bike market. Love that engine, don't like the weight or ergonomics so I guess it is time for a change. But I love that engine, HotRodZilla, how many miles on your bike, what suspension mods if any have you done?