Topcase recall ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunk43

Reaction score
I bought a used top case and have found out it has a recall, called a dealer and he said its for the bike not the top case.

Can someone direct me to the tech bulletin for this, I have searched but the links I find are old and wont work anymore.

Thanks........

Found this thread by searching 'titles only' and 'recall'... just in case you haven't already seen it ;)

this is the link...

actually... it was in this thread that had the link to the above thread...

creative searching ;)
Yep I did the same but still I cant see the bulletin anywhere.

The dealer where I bought the bike said they could help me if I found it.

OK, here's one better - it is the Canadian version of the recall letter - you can click it to enlarge it - your dealer can find it if he goes online with Yamaha or just phones in, but he's just too damned lazy:

OK, here's one better - it is the Canadian version of the recall letter - you can click it to enlarge it - your dealer can find it if he goes online with Yamaha or just phones in, but he's just too damned lazy:

Got the dealership where I bought the bike checking for me, sounds like this guy knows what hes doing so maybe he can get the recall parts for me...

I bought the bike out of town and talked to the local dealership and thats where I got the BS from.

Thanks......

Good to hear Dunk. As much as I looked, couldn't find the US version of this. Maybe they disappear after awhile? No idea myself. If I was you, I'd want this done.

good luck with it.

Good to hear Dunk. As much as I looked, couldn't find the US version of this. Maybe they disappear after awhile? No idea myself. If I was you, I'd want this done.

good luck with it.
Thanks. I didnt know this trunk was under recall when I bought it and after reading up on it I definitely want it done.

Dont want to loose my wife off the back.

The recall is and for the plastic plate under the trunk??because i bought one plate with my bike from 2004 and i never use it..

I can't argue with certainty that what I was told is true, but ... when I bought a new 2006 leftover in 2008, I looked into the top case recall issue. The service manager at my dealership seems to be a straight shooter and very competent. He said that Yamaha had stopped recalling all the bikes and instead was including the recall parts with top cases when they were sold. He did the other recalls on the 2006 AE, and I was satisfied.

Meanwhile, I think I've seen the recall parts for sale on the https://www.mrcycles.com parts parts fiche, although I haven't checked lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
The recall is and for the plastic plate under the trunk??because i bought one plate with my bike from 2004 and i never use it..
I saw a pic on the net somewhere that someone posted that showed the trunk with the recall plate on the bottom of the trunk and it looked like aluminium, it was definitely not plastic.

I saw a pic on the net somewhere that someone posted that showed the trunk with the recall plate on the bottom of the trunk and it looked like aluminium, it was definitely not plastic.
The plate made of plastic..but the new trunk i think it come with an extra plate of aluminium,and it enters between the trunk and the plastic plate..but i am not very sure about it...

I just found a post from a fjr owner about the trunk recall and about the new trunk kit..from an other forum..It is very helpful!

He writes this:

The recall is actually just a metal plate that adheres to the bottom of the case. It's quite amazingly strong glue, so get it right when you stick it on. The plate has a box that fits up into the hole in the bottom of the mounting plate so the locking mechanisim locks to the metal plate not to the plastic topbox. In addition there is a rubber strip that goes around the front of the box where it would normally latch under the mounting plate lip. It's a pretty good fix, supposedly any new box will come with this.

And i found this post here:

https://fjr1300ownersassociation.yuku.com/topic/369

I am at work now, but I will post up a picture

of a recalled trunk. It is indeed a metal plate

Mounted on the underside of the trunk.

I distinctly remember seeing the shine flashing

as it flipped end over end down the haul rd. after

separation from the bike.

The recall work was done when I took the "new

to me" bike in for services. It shows up on their

VIN check at Yamaha.

I am at work now, but I will post up a picture

of a recalled trunk. It is indeed a metal plate

Mounted on the underside of the trunk.

I distinctly remember seeing the shine flashing

as it flipped end over end down the haul rd. after

separation from the bike.

The recall work was done when I took the "new

to me" bike in for services. It shows up on their

VIN check at Yamaha.
Great!

We are waiting..!

I bought a used top case and have found out it has a recall, called a dealer and he said its for the bike not the top case.

Can someone direct me to the tech bulletin for this, I have searched but the links I find are old and wont work anymore.

Thanks........
The dealership where I bought the bike contacted Yamaha about my trunk and they said they stop doing the recall in 2007.

He told me all I could do now is call Yamaha customer service and gave me the number.

Thanks........
The dealership where I bought the bike contacted Yamaha about my trunk and they said they stop doing the recall in 2007.

He told me all I could do now is call Yamaha customer service and gave me the number.
We must put this kit underside the trunk..Can we buy this kit??If we dont put this underside the trunk,i am afraid the bottom of the trunk will break!!and perhaps the trunk will fallen down from the plate...