Topcase recall ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a used top case and have found out it has a recall, called a dealer and he said its for the bike not the top case.

Can someone direct me to the tech bulletin for this, I have searched but the links I find are old and wont work anymore.

Thanks........
The dealership where I bought the bike contacted Yamaha about my trunk and they said they stop doing the recall in 2007.

He told me all I could do now is call Yamaha customer service and gave me the number.
See? I said the dealer you were dealing with was too lazy to call Yamaha and just blew you off.

The reason they no longer do the recall is that this was not an NHTSA mandated recall, but rather a goodwill one initiated by the manufacturer - and what the manufacturer offers, the manufacturer can take away. Mandated recalls, like the ignition, wiring harness and such do not expire.

I bought a used top case and have found out it has a recall, called a dealer and he said its for the bike not the top case.

Can someone direct me to the tech bulletin for this, I have searched but the links I find are old and wont work anymore.

Thanks........
The dealership where I bought the bike contacted Yamaha about my trunk and they said they stop doing the recall in 2007.

He told me all I could do now is call Yamaha customer service and gave me the number.
See? I said the dealer you were dealing with was too lazy to call Yamaha and just blew you off.

The reason they no longer do the recall is that this was not an NHTSA mandated recall, but rather a goodwill one initiated by the manufacturer - and what the manufacturer offers, the manufacturer can take away. Mandated recalls, like the ignition, wiring harness and such do not expire.
Thanks! for clearing that up. I had no idea there were 'different' types or recalls, thought they were all "no expire". Now I'm not as confused ;) heheh which is better than my usual wtf expression I seem to normally have ;)

Thanks........

Yep..... and probably way I never have and probably never will buy a bike from them.

Thanks........
Update..........

Just got off the phone with Yamaha customer service and was told that if the trunk base isn't already cracked and if

I'm going to use it on a 2011 FJR then I'm good.

Lets hope so........

Thanks........
Update..........

Just got off the phone with Yamaha customer service and was told that if the trunk base isn't already cracked and if

Lets hope so........
Good to hear. Quite the Saga... bet yer happy it's come to an end? congrats.

Thanks........
Update..........

Lets hope so........
Good to hear. Quite the Saga... bet yer happy it's come to an end? congrats.
Thanks... according to who I spoke with its the certain year model bike causing the problem not the top case its self.

This is what a recalled topcase looks like:

farkles158.jpg

This is what a recalled topcase looks like after the Haul Road:

farkles159.jpg

The case "Exploded, then cracked" all around the reinforcing plate.

End result the same... Case following bike (one flip at a time)

BTW- All that was in the case was an electric jacket and ride logs

No excess weight can be blamed.

Last edited by a moderator:
So! it is the topcase that has the recall, not the subframe?

That's been confusing to me anyway... certainly looks like it's just the topcase....

The new recalled trunk with the reinforcement kit doesn't worked??and the box dropped from the bike???this you mean???

This is what a recalled topcase looks like:

farkles158.jpg

This is what a recalled topcase looks like after the Haul Road:

farkles159.jpg

The case "Exploded, then cracked" all around the reinforcing plate.

End result the same... Case following bike (one flip at a time)

BTW- All that was in the case was an electric jacket and ride logs

No excess weight can be blamed.
What is the year model of your bike ?

Did you buy the top case new ?

Who did the recall and do you have the service bulletin letter ?

Thanks and sorry for all the ??????

What is the year model of your bike ?

Did you buy the top case new ?

Who did the recall and do you have the service bulletin letter ?

Thanks and sorry for all the ??????
The year of my bike is an '05 (Let me be clear on that)

Bought the bike in 09 with the case.

Took the bike to the shop W/O case on and they informed me that

there was a recall and I needed to bring the bike back to them

with the case. They did the recall work (Plate you see on the underside)

Yamaha Dealership did the recall- I tend to avoid them now because of

BAD services done or NOT done, but charged.

No letter but I could check- All new crew now- Same BAD service though.